Playing with your gut

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever made a bad play that goes against everything you know about playing good poker because your gut is screaming at you to do it? If you have, how did it work out for you?

The other night I was playing in a 2/4 NL live game and had pocket queens. I bet $12.00 pre-flop and had two callers. The flop came out 10,10,7. I made a continuation bet of $12. One guy folded, but I was called by a woman who is one of the tightest players I've ever played with. Instantly I knew she had a 10 - proabably an Ace,10 since I can't imagine her calling a 12 buck pre-flop bet with less. I considered folding, but my gut started screaming at me to call. So like an idiot, I called.

The turn brought a 4. I checked and she bet $24. Now at this point, I KNOW she has a 10. She never bets without a very strong hand. Still, 24 bucks into a pot that's already got over 60 in it... again I considered folding but again my gut starting acting up like something was going to pop out of there like in that scene from Alien. So I called.

The river card came and brought me a blessed Queen, giving me a boat. Now there's over $100 in the pot so I bet $50. She insta-calls and turns over the A/10 just like I thought.

She was pretty steamed out the whole thing, and I can't say as I blame her. She kept asking how I could keep going when I knew she had the 10. The only answer I could give her was "I had a feeling I should stay in." Of course, I never pointed out that the only bad call I made was for a mere $24 bucks on the turn.

Anyway, I was wondering how many of you have ever had "gut feelings" about a hand. Do most of you play strictly the cards and the players, or do some of you actually let your gut instinct be part of your game?

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i let my gut instinct with pocket 3s be part of the my playing style at last nights tournament, and thats why i have this gay sig now.

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, perhaps you gut needed to be taught a lesson about calling down a female poker player with nothing more than pocket threes?

:p

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, perhaps you gut needed to be taught a lesson about calling down a female poker player with nothing more than pocket threes?

:p

1: i was in sb with 33(not knowing she had 55 in bb)
2: i had $3000 she only had $600 in bb
3. shes a female!:bawling:

And last but not least, :bird:...

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, I think it was a wonderful call on your part! I mean you doubled her up, allowing her to win the last longer bet and allowing you to grace us with that lovely signature!

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, I think it was a wonderful call on your part! I mean you doubled her up, allowing her to win the last longer bet and allowing you to grace us with that lovely signature!
Again i say...:bird: :thefinger :bird:

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL, I'm only teasing with you, I would have made the same call in that position, still it's kinda funny...

As for that middle smiley, don't pull it if you don't intend to use it. :p

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL, I'm only teasing with you, I would have made the same call in that position, still it's kinda funny...

As for that middle smiley, don't pull it if you don't intend to use it. :p

by that are you referring to the "fingerbang" method?? if so, how close are you to virginia?:cool:

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You sound like you were born to play online poker. Bingo, slots, lottery, any of those names get your gut going.

Last edited:
xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You sound like you were born to play online poker. Bingo, slots, lottery, any of those names get you gut going.

no comprende senor. hablar englisia, por favor?

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
by that are you referring to the "fingerbang" method?? if so, how close are you to virginia?:cool:

North Carolina actually... doubt your finger is quite that long... ;)

As to playing other games of chance with my "gut" other than buying an occasional lottery ticket I don't play games that are based on total luck and no skill. At least with poker, I do have some control over what happens.

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol why didn't you raise on the river, you could have got paid...

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made the original bet - she called so I had no chance to re-raise.

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I meant bet close to pot size not like less than 1/2. Its not like she is going to fold that 10 lol.

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True. I guess I didn't take enough time to analyze my bet before I made it.

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
North Carolina actually... doubt your finger is quite that long... ;)

LOL!!:D anywho, how close are you to charlotte? i live almost exactly 3 hours from there, and go there occasionally for pool tournaments. if your close, lets meet up next time im down that way, i promise ill wear gloves LOL!!:D

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL!!:D anywho, how close are you to charlotte? i live almost exactly 3 hours from there, and go there occasionally for pool tournaments. if your close, lets meet up next time im down that way, i promise ill wear gloves LOL!!:D

I'm a ways from Charlotte, but I have to go there a lot for my job and I have family there too. So, I'll love to meet you so long as you keep those gloves on...

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now to answer your question. On the turn she bet 24$ into a pot that is around 60$. That is a 1/3 pot sized bet that is actually wanting a call from your queens. Its her fault for putting herself in that position, but it definitely sucks for her that she got burned. However, as bad as people play live these days, I don't think you made a wrong move by calling. You weren't priced out, but next time you should stick to your read just in case the card doesn't come out. But if they price you in and you hit it, make em go broke.

xtreme_calibur

xtreme_calibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a ways from Charlotte, but I have to go there a lot for my job and I have family there too. So, I'll love to meet you so long as you keep those gloves on...
lmfao! scouts honor;) ill holla at ya.