Playing the same people

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This chat is kinda ugly, seems like a lot of arguing about what stakes OP is playing...? If you guys wanna give advice to play at lower stakes you don't have to insult his play at the same time... I'm pretty sure all of us have made mistakes playing poker, you shouldnt focus on just the little mistakes...

OP, are you:
Playing with good BRM? 1/2 and 2/4 are pretty high stakes, BRM would dictate a very large bankroll to play at that level, 50 buy ins at 200NL is $10,000. Its not a good idea to blow a good sized roll at 1/2 when you can play at a lower level and develop a BR there.
- Are you making money at 1/2 and 2/4? If you're a consistent loser (even if its due to just a few people) you should drop down to conserve your roll. No matter what level you're playing at its the same game, if you have trips or a full house and still lose its just variance, they're running good and you're running bad. Eventually it'll swing your way again, but if your BR doesn't support that level of play it might not live to see the pendulum swing.

One more thing, it takes quite a while to build a roll and play well at lower levels, honestly I dont think anyone should be playing 200nl without at least 2 years of experience and solid play at .50/1, and a proper BR.

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, welcome to CC.
Second, If your bankroll hasn't taken a nose dive yet it's about to in a horrible way.

Also, I'm a smart guy and if everybody agrees that what I did was stupid I'm not going to continue to defend it.

This here sums up your problem with your game. The problem is not that everyone agrees it was stupid, the problem is you don't. You should not have defended it in the first place. Anyone playing at these limits knows very well that this is a undefenable play. I don't think you understand how bad a play this was. At 1/2, 2/4 these people will eat you alive.

Drop down in stakes and learn more about the game. You see the same people at your table because they are targeting you. Read the strategy section, hand analyst and others to get a better understanding of the game.

Best of luck too you.

M

MFaith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've decided to cool down and take a week off. Maybe do some fishing and watch some baseball. Next Wednesday I'll probably hit AC and regain my confidence.

I like this strategy; I've been playing less lately, but ironically winning and placing ITM more often. I think it has to a lot with patience, and taking some time off helps with that IMO.

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I went to a different site with a different name. I played tight at a very loose 1/2 table, nobody would fold anything (people were calling $60 w/ 9,9 when there were three over cards on the board). In a one hour span there were at least ten all-ins that were called. I was dealt 5,5 and called a $7 pre-flop raise. The flop was 5,K,J rainbow, the raiser bet $10 and I raised to $20 (to feel out if he had a king) he min-raised to $30 I put him on AK AJ or maybe AQ. I called and then went all in when the turn couldn't have made a straight. Of course he called w/ KK. I think I might be having some of the worst luck I've ever had. I can play 10 hours straight w/o flopping a set and the one time I do somebody has an over set.

I'm going to apologize to the regular guys, it wasn't fair for me to lose to somebody else.

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played with Alan Boston on 1/2 tables on consecutive days and came out a big winner each time.

mdnmdn

mdnmdn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"I'm going to apologize to the regular guys, it wasn't fair for me to lose to somebody else."

lol

R

rollnutilt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These guys are pounding you cause they know they got you psyched out. Move down in stakes build up your BR fix the leaks and get your confidence back. Change up your game and when your ready show up on their table and pound them back.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dude the same kind of crap happens to me. So I always think there is a setup on me. I think i just have bad luck in poker. Maybe if i had millions of dollars and didnt give a crap about money then i would beat all my opponents! But i most likely will never get that chance! SIGH

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I've also been spending too much time at one table, I'm going to start limiting myself to two hours so I can keep things fresh. I'm thinking that if you stay at one place too long you're bound to get caught.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I've also been spending too much time at one table, I'm going to start limiting myself to two hours so I can keep things fresh. I'm thinking that if you stay at one place too long you're bound to get caught.
Works both ways pal. I would say staying at the table with the same players would be more of an advantage to good players. Placing yourself with new players would have you in the dark. Just solid poker decisions until you get a feel on the table. I have no experience in 200NL, but just approach the game with a math sense when it comes to variance. I also agree with the poster above who mentioned the variance swing and BR management. If you don't have the BR to continue playing, then drop down or your won't have a chance to get your upswing! : )

Also I forgot to mention in my first reply, welcome to CC! :D

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Works both ways pal. I would say staying at the table with the same players would be more of an advantage to good players. Placing yourself with new players would have you in the dark. Just solid poker decisions until you get a feel on the table. I have no experience in 200NL, but just approach the game with a math sense when it comes to variance. I also agree with the poster above who mentioned the variance swing and BR management. If you don't have the BR to continue playing, then drop down or your won't have a chance to get your upswing! : )

Also I forgot to mention in my first reply, welcome to CC! :D

Thanks for the welcome. BR is fine, I've just gotten off of my game recently. One thing I've noticed is that after a long time things tend to get stagnant and I'll start pressing to get some action going. I think that for my psyche it's better to keep things fresh.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the welcome. BR is fine, I've just gotten off of my game recently. One thing I've noticed is that after a long time things tend to get stagnant and I'll start pressing to get some action going. I think that for my psyche it's better to keep things fresh.

Great! Play poker with a fresh mind ever time and you'll be making the best decisions. I can't tell you how many time I go in tilted and make horrible gamble plays. Good luck pal! : )

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play the same people once a week, it gets easier.

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not going to be negative here. There are fundamental problems that need to be addressed if you are getting beat by the same people all the time. They probably know how you play and have made adjustments to their games against you in order to make money. You need to do the same to them. It sounds like they know when you are making a move. Make fewer moves. When you have the goods, pretend you are making a move. Bet for value instead of slowplaying... Mix it up a bit. If you are rolled for the stakes you are playing, then maybe you could tighten up and try to beat the guys who have been holding over you. It usually isn't right to be aggressive at an aggressive table. For example, if they are calling every all in, why would you move in with 55. Why wouldn't you wait for at least top pair or a big pocket pair. Your only draw was another 5. I think you already know this, but you are so tilted right now that your perception of realitiy may be askew. Just get back to solid poker decisions. If you are losing, it is almost never because you are playing too tight! Slow down a little and enjoy the game. If it is stressing you at all, get up and do something else. Only play when you are rested and stress free. Stress, frustration, and fatigue are all synonymous with TILT. It sounds like you may have at least two of the three.

palku

palku

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree with you, keep shuffling from one table to the next. Most guys out there are mind readers, especially so when 3 of those guys know each other and your there as a bait.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have played with Alan Boston on 1/2 tables on consecutive days and came out a big winner each time.

lol, is this a brag? :congrats: u want a cookie or something?:p

==========================================

To OP... If the same guys keep playing you and beating you...than maybe stop playing against them. I mean there are always other tables with other players on them right? Find some fish, make a player note and follow them around, because that is what these guys seem to be doing to you. I would just get up and leave the table, and if they keep following you...just don't play any pots with them. Just play pots with the fish.

Do you use HEM or PT3? Than you could analyze there play, which they obviously have done for your play...which combined with tilt and not mixing up your play might be the reason why it seems they know what u have every time.

Also take a day or two or week, like you said, and don't play. When you come back to playing you will have a fresh mind and hopefully your spirits will be up again, therefore you will probably make better decisions.

As for the 23 open limp from the button...If you had just folded than you wouldn't have had this problem, as 23 is not ahead of..well anything really lol. If you had made a PFR and got re-raised allin from the BB, than it should have been an obvious fold, therefore losing $6 as opposed to 200$ right? If you PFR and he folded, you would have won the blinds. If you open limp you are letting the BB see a free hand, one that he might have folded...but you should already know all this I guess, it just sound like your mentally drained from bad beats..it happens to us all.

Also maybe make your 3bets a lil bigger? maybe 3-5x the bet instead of making min re-raises? I dunno whenever I see someone min re-raise me I automatically think fish, but I could be wrong with that thinking who knows.

Post some HH for analysis, it can only benefit you, and someone might see something you didn't.

Hope it turns around for ya, and good luck on the felt.

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've adjusted my game immensely lately and also started playing at another site where I have a different name. I just played an eight hour session where I don't think I limped once and more than tripled my money. I guess that's considered tight/aggressive as I didn't play many pots but really optimized my chances by playing only strong hands and in position.

The only mistake I made was that I raised to $6 from the button w/ Q,4s and the flop was Q,4,J rainbow. The caller called a $22 bet and a $45 bet only to suck out by making A,J on the river. Luckily he checked the river to me as he figured I would fire again. I knew something was up when the ace hit, it made sense that he would play A,J like that.

drgilbert4

drgilbert4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've adjusted my game immensely lately and also started playing at another site where I have a different name. I just played an eight hour session where I don't think I limped once and more than tripled my money. I guess that's considered tight/aggressive as I didn't play many pots but really optimized my chances by playing only strong hands and in position.

The only mistake I made was that I raised to $6 from the button w/ Q,4s and the flop was Q,4,J rainbow. The caller called a $22 bet and a $45 bet only to suck out by making A,J on the river. Luckily he checked the river to me as he figured I would fire again. I knew something was up when the ace hit, it made sense that he would play A,J like that.
Good job getting your head back in the game. Now if I could only do the same!!!

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm back to normal. Raise $6 UTG w/ KK, get raised to $21 and push all in. He had QQ, wanna guess?

Time for some sleep, back at it tomorrow.

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot beat these guys. I raise $6 otb with j,10 suited, he calls with 7,6 off. Flop 66J, I bet $10, he calls, turn is a 10, I go all in...

I have AK, he has 7,5h calls a $12 bet pre flop, flop is AQ8 w/ two hearts. I bet $28, he raises to $75 so I push and he catches the heart on the river.

I know the odds are that the guy with the best hand will win sometimes but I'm overdue at this point.

I have been playing very disciplined, there is NO WAY I call a raise out of position with 7,6 off or a $12 raise with 7,5 suited and I certainly don't call an all in bet when I only have a draw to a shitty flush.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cannot beat these guys. I raise $6 otb with j,10 suited, he calls with 7,6 off. Flop 66J, I bet $10, he calls, turn is a 10, I go all in...

I have AK, he has 7,5h calls a $12 bet pre flop, flop is AQ8 w/ two hearts. I bet $28, he raises to $75 so I push and he catches the heart on the river.

I know the odds are that the guy with the best hand will win sometimes but I'm overdue at this point.

I have been playing very disciplined, there is NO WAY I call a raise out of position with 7,6 off or a $12 raise with 7,5 suited and I certainly don't call an all in bet when I only have a draw to a shitty flush.

Well try this to clear your mind and your theory of players following you.

Go to another poker site and create a new account. If the same thing happens, then it may just be the time to step down in stakes.

B

buckshot40

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well try this to clear your mind and your theory of players following you.

Go to another poker site and create a new account. If the same thing happens, then it may just be the time to step down in stakes.

I seem to get sucked out on constantly and have no idea what people have because they will call a raise with rags even if they're out of position. I would assume there would be more of that at lower stakes, am I wrong?

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to get sucked out on constantly and have no idea what people have because they will call a raise with rags even if they're out of position. I would assume there would be more of that at lower stakes, am I wrong?

I personally have no idea of the gameplay at your stakes. I play only the super micro stakes pal. I can't criticize your play because I have no experience at your level.

When I first started playing poker I would watch tv poker and be like, "wow those guys are terrible". Then when I started learning more and more I realize how bad my decisions were when I first started playing. I don't remember where I read this, but a pro talked about when he played back in the day he would watch the nosebleed levels and would think how bad they were. When he finally got up there, he couldn't believe the mind warfare and super high level play being played at those stakes. I'm not trying to say your a bad player, but maybe the moves made against you could be the right move, and you just don't realize it. The best suggestion for now is to look back at your hand histories and post them in the HA section. You'll get a lot of advice and make sure the advice given is from a respectable member of that stake or the info may be worthless. Also it could be a case of the downswing. Don't go on tilt and lose more money pal. Good luck. Also do you have AIM? If you do, I'll chat about poker with you.