Playing poker on PS3?

fizban4321

fizban4321

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone have a PS3 that they have hooked to the internet and also tried playing online poker with it? Got one for Xmas and just now got it hooked up to the internet via my wireless router that I have for my laptops, I play @ pokerstars and was thinking about downloading the software and playing through the ps3 on my 62 in TV, so I was wondering if anyone else has done or tried this and how well it went? it seems the ps3 connection is slightly slower then if i was using my laptop so I'm not sure how it will effect gameplay let alone multi tableing. Any input would be appreciated.

Y

yzfgr8one

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
no i have the ps3 which i guess overheated n crashed n 229 dollars later is getting repaired..i havent tried pokerstars usually just run games ala mw2 n such..lemme know what u get from it my screeen name is the same everywhere...

H

Hiro

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I 100% doubt that you could do that on the normal PS3 OS, but if you installed linux ubuntu then you could. I'm not sure why you would want to do this though.

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah you need to partition your hard drive and install a different OS in order to play poker on your PS3.

worditst

worditst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would you want to do it? If you single table I guess.. but why not just use your laptop and use your PS3 to watch something (stream from your comp) while playing? (If you don't mind being a little distracted :)

ChronicHaze

ChronicHaze

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Doing anything on the internet on a ps3 is a pain in the butt. Definitely not a good idea.

H

Hiro

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually if you set it up good with something like Ubuntu Linux and Wine, also a wireless mouse and keyboard, you could effectively have a very large HD computer screen. A lot of hassle though, I'm not sure its worth it except for that wow factor, or maybe if your doing like 40 tables.

adsthepro123

adsthepro123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Home

if you are talking about playing it on playstation home then it is a good way of playing, the only thing is you cannot play for money, it is just good to get some practice and get to the top of the leaderboards and recognised as a good player. Talking about the quality, it has a good quality in terms of graphics and you generally never get bad connection. One bad thing about it is you have to wait a long time to join a table.
adsthepro

Crummy

Crummy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In theory the processor on the PS3 could probably play more tables + have HEM or PT running and be as smooth as a whistle! However with the PS3 OS it would never work.... I did just put a 250GB drive in my PS3... I should partition it and put XP on there to play :). However then I couldn't play Heavy Rain when it comes out and poker at the same time.

fizban4321

fizban4321

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thx. for the input, like I had said I was just thinking about it , but after the comments I think I'll pass, seems like it would take more then its worth to do it right.

U

Uribam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's doable, but you do need Linux and Ubuntu is the best of the flavors for now. If you don't know a lot about *nix systems and software emulation than I wouldn't bother. I do and I wouldn't bother. Sure the system is good, but PC is much easier. Also lots of good TVs have HDMI ins so you can just plug the comp into it. Sometimes it's selectable as to which input you use through a menu via the remote control, though not always in my experience. Good luck if you pursue this though, and let us know how it turns out.