Playing Poker Hours?

S

SRW954

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new to poker and I'm finding that I enjoy tournaments. However, they seem to last so long! I have an amazing wife but I have found that finding time to play - especially because we are both home due to covid - has been difficult. As you know, it requires total concentration and while I can go in the office and shut the door, it seems so, I don't know, isolated? for like 5-6 hours or more at a time. I'm discovering that I'm really only able to do this like once per week when I would like to do it every day to practice haha. Anyone else run into this issue? I guess I could start playing cash games where I can come and go as I please...

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can choose hyper mtts which last 2 hours if you take it down...those may allow your sessions to last as much as you want

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
compromise with your wife for days you'll spend together and days you'll play poker. i'm sure your wife has some hobbies/interests of her own. explain to her why they could potentially take hours to complete. 1-2 days/7 days a week allocated to you playing doesn't seem to unreasonable. maybe don't isolate yourself when you play. yes, it requires concentration, but not to the point where you have to shut everyone out. you can still be present and be able to focus on your game. it might even get your wife interested and/or see how much the game means to you when she sees you play or can be there to support you when you do well/bad.

you could, if it's available, try sit in go mtts or small multi-table sit in go mtts of 18-180 players. another option is late registering into an mtt, which could shave off an hour or so of play time.

CERRATO505

CERRATO505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play at zoom tables so you play more hands per hour and you can leave whenever you want

Einer777

Einer777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can change the modality there is a great variety and they are faster or change to an open table

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the only solution to your problem is to train yourself on the cash game, zoom or espresso format to be able to reduce your playing time and no longer have to play for 5 or 6 hours on a mtt.

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don’t like the marathon games you should switch to sit n go’s

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play hiper and turbo mtts, avoid mtts with long late registration period or move to SnG tables or cash games

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You can try another modality such as sit & go or spin, they take less time to find a winner and they are also very fun

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
compromise with your wife for days you'll spend together and days you'll play poker. i'm sure your wife has some hobbies/interests of her own. explain to her why they could potentially take hours to complete. 1-2 days/7 days a week allocated to you playing doesn't seem to unreasonable. maybe don't isolate yourself when you play. yes, it requires concentration, but not to the point where you have to shut everyone out. you can still be present and be able to focus on your game. it might even get your wife interested and/or see how much the game means to you when she sees you play or can be there to support you when you do well/bad.

you could, if it's available, try sit in go mtts or small multi-table sit in go mtts of 18-180 players. another option is late registering into an mtt, which could shave off an hour or so of play time.

That is helpful bc i don't like playing for hours.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash games are more convenient in this sense. But tournaments are more interesting for me. This is the dilemma. :)

UM3SH

UM3SH

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely not that one who never loses with Aces.:)

I am the one mostly looses with AA.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I found that I have to put in quality time at home with the family before I even think about playing. After yhe kids bedtime is my best time to play.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe, you might want to try some Sit'n'go's. Not show if you know them, or not, but they're like mini tournaments.

You can find one that has a small number of players in them, or some larger ones. They also have them in regular, turbo, and other formats.

This might be perfect for you if you only have 1-2 hours in which to play.

C

Chel_nv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was able to arrange with my wife so that on Saturday I play all day in tournaments and one tournament every day, after I put her to bed, because without me it takes a long time to fall asleep. The rest of the time I pay attention to it and everyone is happy. Try if you can get a good word with her.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you are playing MTT expect an average of 6 hours. Live can be unlimited. once I played for 12 hours and the first 11 hours mainly fold fold fold up and down by not much. last 30 minutes I quadruple up then double up, it was a good night but actually I walked outside thinking it would be night and it was already morning. But many other times I get there and do really good the first hour and play for hours with no action so I leave, I'm no longer shame of being the hit and run master.

S

SubZero111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like playing at any hours and keep it up until I get very tired and impatient and lose all of my bankroll...Just telling the truth...hahaha

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I also have this problem of playing time because of my family, but there are ways to adapt, there are hyper turbo tournaments that last less and there is the old 9 or 18 year old player for me it helps a lot to have a lot of fun

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the situation, probably cash games are the best option for you, or you can try to play in turbo tournaments in the SnG, where there will be no more than 15 players.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not an expert, but in my opinion, there are 2 options. 1, if you prefer to play mtt, choose the best day based on your free time and the poker tourney schedules in the poker rooms, and do 10-14 hours sessions once per a week or 2, go and try to play 2-3 hours, when you can on turbo sng with 40-200 players

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm new to poker and I'm finding that I enjoy tournaments. However, they seem to last so long! I have an amazing wife but I have found that finding time to play - especially because we are both home due to covid - has been difficult. As you know, it requires total concentration and while I can go in the office and shut the door, it seems so, I don't know, isolated? for like 5-6 hours or more at a time. I'm discovering that I'm really only able to do this like once per week when I would like to do it every day to practice haha. Anyone else run into this issue? I guess I could start playing cash games where I can come and go as I please...

Tourneys themselves last hours. To play cash games your game has to be more accurate, but like you need practice, go for the micro stake ones, cashing out (leaving the table) when you're the chip leader. But anyway whatever you do will count to experience.
The sit and go's offer cheap tourneys in less time extent, a good choice as you don't spend much of your precious time.
Remember to don't put all of your savings in games!

Best of luck.

arashsgr

arashsgr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
playing poker for hours

you know I am totally like you, I like playing poker for hours but people around you might not like it very much. playing poker for hours might be frustrating, although you love to play poker. It's better you take a break every now and then cause tomorrow always is a new day and you are gonna be more excited and fresher to be in the action.:)

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play when my wife is sleeping, no distraction

just make sure you are done before she wakes up

M

Majari_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are plenty of different formats you could try. Turbo/hyper tournaments take 2-4hours and if you like to simulate final table feeling try playing SitnGo's. Cash game is also an option.