Playing against amateurs - easy or tough?

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Of course it's easy. If you don't play against amateurs, how can you win?

Mihail Grinvich

Mihail Grinvich

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Playing against amateurs is very difficult. Strategies for this category of players do not, their game depends on luck. And luck often smiles at them. Of course, very few of them reach the final table. But before that they knock out quite strong players.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in my humble opinion, bad beat happens everywhere.
It doesn't matter if you're a professional or not.
I see professionals make bad plays and I see amateurs make great plays.
poker is a game of incomplete information, even the abilities of others are incomplete for us.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Amateurs experience a wider range of emotions while playing. If they win, it's good, if they lose, well, okay (it's a shame, of course, but what can you do). Many poker players have difficulty facing constant aggression from opponents. Amateurs and pros alike make big mistakes when trying to outplay an extremely aggressive opponent. Good strategy is not easy. It is far from always possible to immediately understand how exactly it is worth playing against an opponent.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother
Look at your question, I relate it to cash desks.
In an MTT with players you know, you see situations, study their game, etc. situations that can be beneficial to you.
An example would be that if you do 3bet AK from any position, the opponent knows how you play and will think before raising, equalizing or retiring.
Instead of playing with amateurs or at a cash table playing only against someone who has money, there are no schemes or manuals.
You have AK and the opponent thought of 23 that would beat you and can match your bet, so match... the flop is 227 and the story ends.
That's why I think that if you have a good knowledge of poker and you play at an amateur or cash table, at least I don't underestimate any player. Rather, I would act at least at first very cautiously.
Cheers;);););););)

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Well, they are more difficult to read because many don't even care about losing money, they just do it for fun and release adrenaline and that's very frustrating, because then what happened to you happens... horrible bad beat.

demibar

demibar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I am amateur so i don't mind lol.Its harder to play with a pro

F

Frankyy97

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I love to play against amateurs. You can win more easy because they cant fold hands like A 3 with pair of A and low kicker where pros would have fold. For an example.

azteca6

azteca6

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
they are the ones who usually go all in without thinking with an A accompanied by any card and end up winning what they see 9 out of 10 times and this motivates them to keep doing it and sometimes it bothers them

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
That's a great question! What I can say is that playing against recreational players is a problem because they play without structure

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The best thing that can happen to one playing against fans is that luck is on our side hahahaha

NDRWTRLGC

NDRWTRLGC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy because they can usually be run over pretty easily (at least in tournaments) tough because they don't know when to fold

K

KING1805

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I prefer to play with more professional players rather than amateurs.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm not sure if I would call it tougher but I would say expecting a beginner to fold is probably a bad idea!

VikK030p13

VikK030p13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't know how to play with a beginner because that's who I am

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
it's very easy to play against amateurs, they immediately betray themselves and you understand right away;)

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Definitely tough, they are too random

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is more difficult to play against amateurs, as they play aggressively and without thinking at all, see any ace in their pocket and go all in. Or it happens that they get hit on the last street.

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
não weiI don't know if it's hard or easy, because I consider myself an amateur player

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it's easy or difficult, the point is to adapt to the way they are playing

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are different fans with different games, it is easy to play and read their hand with inexperienced people, they often call, and it is enough to play with them on the map. Hyperaggressive ones are much more difficult, the game is rather unpredictable, they don't think about ranges and rely on luck. I try to evaluate my opponent, their performance and therefore build my plan for giving away with them.

GNuTTz

GNuTTz

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would call myself an amateur too. But I learned a lot about numbers, when to call, buff, fold, etc. But there are players out there that don't know much about equity, odds,... and just play by feel. I heard a pro player (Can't remember who) once who said, its so hard to play against newer players, because they are so hard to read. So what do you think about this?

Background of the question: In a (for me) big tournament someone called my all in (my two pair) on the flop with just king high and no draws. I busted out of the tournament because he got better two pair on the turn and the river. I know that was bad luck, but it made me think of this question. Are those opponents sometimes tougher, because they don't know how to make decisions?
I think you should also include the overall buy in costs- if it’s cheap to enter- you are more likely to face the wrath of a newbies K high at the end of the hand. I think that the more you invest in terms of buy in costs- correlates with a more strategy oriented mind set and an increase in players who actually think about making smart plays… rather than a bingo player mind set who hopes will suck out on turn or river lol

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Most poker players are amateurs. I think amateurs who play at relatively high limits also try to stick to the basic principles of poker. Only playing at low limits and freerolls encourages fans to play more aggressively without thinking about the consequences. And then how lucky you are.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it easy because quickly identify your weaknesses.