Playing against amateurs - easy or tough?

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call myself an amateur too. But I learned a lot about numbers, when to call, buff, fold, etc. But there are players out there that don't know much about equity, odds,... and just play by feel. I heard a pro player (Can't remember who) once who said, its so hard to play against newer players, because they are so hard to read. So what do you think about this?

Background of the question: In a (for me) big tournament someone called my all in (my two pair) on the flop with just king high and no draws. I busted out of the tournament because he got better two pair on the turn and the river. I know that was bad luck, but it made me think of this question. Are those opponents sometimes tougher, because they don't know how to make decisions?

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep.
and I bust out of a tournament tonight just basically cos the player was lucky, he knew he was lucky and so he called and hit his gut shot str8 draw.
It's beter to be lucky than good.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If sometimes they are a little difficult to read to those who have less time playing poker and think that poker is just "luck" those new fans always reach the end of the hand that is to say until the river, it is because they cling to their hand and they do not fold because they hope to obtain that luck in the game, but also sometimes they have nothing and they just want to isolate you from the hand, some players are also usually loose aggressive.

Like you, I have knowledge about the game and I apply the basic principles of poker but that does not mean that we are professionals, I still have a lot to learn and correct to call myself or call myself "professional" but I do consider myself a semi-regular player of online poker and there is still a long way to go in this wonderful and passionate game called poker.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Amateur players are easier to face than professionals. You just need to adjust your game to theirs. It is not advisable to go all-in with them without having a show in hand. But when you've got the monster they're more easily taken down than a pro.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
It doesn't matter to me who my opponents are. Indifferently. I just try not to play with junk and it brings me a good result in the long run. My bankroll is growing, no matter who my opponents are.
Good luck.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Amateur players are easier to face than professionals. You just need to adjust your game to theirs. It is not advisable to go all-in with them without having a show in hand. But when you've got the monster they're more easily taken down than a pro.

Nah it is much easier to face (and eliminate) professionals.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey!
Personally, I don't like playing against those who cannot be counted, probably because I'm not very good yet.

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still, I am even more convinced of the enormous importance of luck when playing poker. No matter how professional you are. As for me, professionals are those who know when to throw out the cards.

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lover, lover strife. There are aggressive fish that are not easy to play against. Such people can even be called inadequate. But damn it - they are lucky !!!!. Of course, in the long run, they will be the losers, but they usually break the game here and now. (((

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard to play against the young because of the poor readability and unpredictability of their game.

Y

yanvargas7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I believe that as many professionals say in educational content that playing against weak players is the best of all worlds, in micro limits there are players who are looking to study and others who are just there to spend time without delving into the concepts. In this way, we sometimes get a bad beat, our bluffs are paid, we face paying players where they don't leave anything, with that we need to analyze the long term many hands played against these opponents and re-evaluate our game.

If the opponent is a caller we should play value hands against him, if we already have the analysis that c-bets and bluffs don't pass we should reduce the number of times we will make these plays.
My opinion on the subject, study and study always, see you later!

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call myself an amateur too. But I learned a lot about numbers, when to call, buff, fold, etc. But there are players out there that don't know much about equity, odds,... and just play by feel. I heard a pro player (Can't remember who) once who said, its so hard to play against newer players, because they are so hard to read. So what do you think about this?

Background of the question: In a (for me) big tournament someone called my all in (my two pair) on the flop with just king high and no draws. I busted out of the tournament because he got better two pair on the turn and the river. I know that was bad luck, but it made me think of this question. Are those opponents sometimes tougher, because they don't know how to make decisions?
Hello, I am also a beginner in poker, but I have already understood some points and it is already getting harder for me to play with completely newbies, I cannot read them at all! I wish you to confidently beat newcomers and good luck at the tables!

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah we just need to adjust our play style to beat the wild ones. Your c bets/3 bets are less useful as a means to take the pot down and should be saved for monsters. Just play patiently against the very bad players and don't test their luck until you have the nuts.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It is a priori difficult to play in a big tournament, regardless of the level of the player.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly I think it doesn't matter rather you're a beginner or a pro. The beauty of the game of poker is that anybody can beat anybody on the felt. Things happen. Everytime I play poker I never underestimate anybody even if you learn the game in 30 mins. I know I can beat anybody and can be beaten by anybody.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite possible . A person who does not know how to play poker will often all-in without a proper card and this interferes with normal play.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's easier strategy-wise, tougher nerve/tilt-wise :D:D

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently playing nl2 and yes there are very different players. Some of them re raise you with 47 and some call your small river bet with a full boat. You have to observe and adapt. Also bet sizing is weird, if you want them to fold and folding is not something amateurs like to do :) you have to bet like 1,5x the pot and even then they may call all the way with an underpair.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well yes,on one hand,newer players will always go and call sometimes very dumb flops or even re-raise,so when it comes to that part of them its probably easier.That being said,you will never almost be able to predict when they have a one pair,a two pair etc. just because of their unusual calls.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not long ago I myself played like these young players and also tried to catch my luck by the tail. On one side, you can inadvertently lose the stack when a young player, playing with a small change, tries to collect a combination. On the other hand, on the contrary, if the young man is unlucky, you will gain a stack faster. In short, the game with the young is a coin with two sides. You can increase the stack faster or lose it quickly.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
versus amateur? i think im an amateur and i think i have to renew my knowledge in poker because younger players are learning diferent that i did years ago, theyre leaving me behind

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course it's better to play with amateurs but if they have luck it's not so fine

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The ideal is to have players at the table with little knowledge, I don't care if luckily they beat me, you will always have an advantage over those players and it is normal to have a high percentage of victories over them.:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys. Of course it's based on luck. But it's also frustrating, if your opponents only weapon is the luck, if you know what I mean ^^