cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
did you know that poker is considered one of the best games for cognitive development?
It is possible that brain training games can help improve your memory, response time and cognitive skills. poker is one of the best examples among so many games that are good for your brain health. Due to the high demand for strategies, it is considered one of the games with the greatest cognitive benefit.

let me know your experiences and observations, how much poker has benefited your mental health

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker is a great game, subject to certain conditions. Do not forget to engage in physical exercises, observe the daily routine, healthy nutrition, bankroll management, do not be nervous about the game and do not forget that poker is only a game and there are more important things in life - family, friends, health, .. .

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker weights Workout your mind

Poker in my belief is like chess or drawing, or writing. Creating. New challenges every couple minutes is great for brain exercise. Keep working your brain or you might not have one for long. Don't forget checkers. Gl have fun.

D

dayontour

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keeping the doctor away

Hi Cwdignus,

Totally agree I don’t think a lot of people would look at poker like that at first, but when you think about it, playing poker stimulates the mind in many ways.

Now I can tell the wife I am not gambling or wasting my time, I am just exercising the brain and keeping the doctor away… lol :)

L

Liru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker has made me a better observer, before playing poker I wasn't good at receiving hints very slow and now I know how to read people better if they are in a good mood or not that's helped a lot with my social skills also.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Poker has been recognized as "Mental Sports", at the same level as chess, it is not surprising that we find similarities.

In both poker and chess, the game of each hand and of each movement of a piece is born from an analysis, not only in the current play but also of all the moves already made in order to create a pattern of what is about to happen, this is known as strategy.

It is natural then that when practicing this sport you get positive benefits for mental health, but let's not forget that it is a very sedentary activity.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is a great game, subject to certain conditions. Do not forget to engage in physical exercises, observe the daily routine, healthy nutrition, bankroll management, do not be nervous about the game and do not forget that poker is only a game and there are more important things in life - family, friends, health, .. .

Iryna agree, the person cannot forget his life due to Poker, he really has to value his family and friends ... body are healthy mind, physical exercises are also essential even to have a good performance in poker

;)

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker in my belief is like chess or drawing, or writing. Creating. New challenges every couple minutes is great for brain exercise. Keep working your brain or you might not have one for long. Don't forget checkers. Gl have fun.

Shawnt good observations really writing, drawing are also great mental exercises, i love to draw and play guitar

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi Cwdignus,

Totally agree I don’t think a lot of people would look at poker like that at first, but when you think about it, playing poker stimulates the mind in many ways.

Now I can tell the wife I am not gambling or wasting my time, I am just exercising the brain and keeping the doctor away… lol :)

Hi Dayontour

very cool .... keep the doctor away and Alzheimer's too

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
did you know that poker is considered one of the best games for cognitive development?
... poker is one of the best examples among so many games that are good for your brain health....

cwd, do you have any sources to point to for your initial statement? Not that I doubt the validity, but as someone who is very close to someone with Alzheimer's, I am interested in further reading.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker has made me a better observer, before playing poker I wasn't good at receiving hints very slow and now I know how to read people better if they are in a good mood or not that's helped a lot with my social skills also.

Hi Liru

very good ... I always liked to read people, I work with sales, in this profession there is a need to know how to read people too, learning with poker has helped even better my way of reading people

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where did you find that ? Some interview or doc, what ever is if you have link or something send me I'm interested viewing it. For sure there is some activity happening in the brain as this is game of thinking, brain waves Beta crucial for rational and critical thinking. We know so much for our self, God knows what is the limit for human and we can go much further, but we need to focus on things that are worth.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The Poker has been recognized as "Mental Sports", at the same level as chess, it is not surprising that we find similarities.

In both poker and chess, the game of each hand and of each movement of a piece is born from an analysis, not only in the current play but also of all the moves already made in order to create a pattern of what is about to happen, this is known as strategy.

It is natural then that when practicing this sport you get positive benefits for mental health, but let's not forget that it is a very sedentary activity.
HI GIRFIED
we cannot forget about physical exercises as well, good nutrition ... as i mentioned above,
healthy body = healthy mind ... the ex minister of sports here in brazil also considered poker a sport of the mind publicly .... I even made a thread addressing this subject at the time

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is possible that brain training games can help improve your memory, response time and cognitive skills. poker is one of the best examples among so many games that are good for your brain health. Due to the high demand for strategies, it is considered one of the games with the greatest cognitive benefit.

let me know your experiences and observations, how much poker has benefited your mental health

I have to disagree with you even though I like to play poker and actually wish you were right.
While poker does make you think and and make logical decisions, the benefit derived from that is negated by the gambling aspect of it, with dopamine hits that have an antagonistic effect on, and decrease your serotonin levels, leading to increased risk for depression. So for your mental health poker is not a good thing, regardless if you are a winning or losing player.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
cwd, do you have any sources to point to for your initial statement? Not that I doubt the validity, but as someone who is very close to someone with Alzheimer's, I am interested in further reading.[/QUOTE

There was a medical study performed in the 80's that claimed smoking cigarettes was linked to a decreased risk for developing Alzheimer's. People liked the results so much they didn't even notice the study was paid for by the tobacco industry.
It was considered a valid medical study until 2010 when an independent study performed at UCSF proved the exact opposite.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
cwd, do you have any sources to point to for your initial statement? Not that I doubt the validity, but as someone who is very close to someone with Alzheimer's, I am interested in further reading.
Hi NWPatriot

the article is in portuguese, but you can use the translation without problem http://www.mundogump.com.br/descubra-como-jogar-poker-pode-ajudar-seu-cerebro/
they quote Dr. Robert Freidland's research in ''The New England Journal of Medicine''...
here follows my personal opinion ,Alzheimer's is an advanced diabetes that affects the brain, so nutrition is also very important, if the body does not digest sugar, then the diet has to be ketogenic, I will search for the name of an American doctor, that her husband has Alzheimer's and she is treating him with coconut oil that is part of the ketogenic diet....according to the report of a well-known nutrologist here in Brazil DR Lair Ribeiro, the American doctor is having good results with her husband....if you search on google scientific you will find many interesting works to analyze on the ketogenic diet and coconut oil in the aid of nutritional treatment of Alzheimer's....we have a friend here on Cardschat Jacki Burkhart who won an essay contest on poker stars, telling her family history with Alzheimer and how poker helped her family member...write her a PM, she can also help you

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game where it is based on strategies, and that is where your brain comes into operation, of course, the more you play, the more your brain develops, you are working all the time, and that is good.

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Where did you find that ? Some interview or doc, what ever is if you have link or something send me I'm interested viewing it. For sure there is some activity happening in the brain as this is game of thinking, brain waves Beta crucial for rational and critical thinking. We know so much for our self, God knows what is the limit for human and we can go much further, but we need to focus on things that are worth.
Hi Gravac

the article that inspired me to write this thread does not have much depth or scientific basis, but it does mention Dr. Robert Freidland's work published in The New England Journal of Medicine which is scientific .... the article is in portuguese, but with google translator you will understand without a problem
http://www.mundogump.com.br/descubra...r-seu-cerebro/

see my answer to NWPatriot, for you to better understand the nutritional aspect that is very important for the celebration too

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have to disagree with you even though I like to play poker and actually wish you were right.
While poker does make you think and and make logical decisions, the benefit derived from that is negated by the gambling aspect of it, with dopamine hits that have an antagonistic effect on, and decrease your serotonin levels, leading to increased risk for depression. So for your mental health poker is not a good thing, regardless if you are a winning or losing player.
Hi Zinzir

your argument regarding Dopamine production only adds to my thinking ... lack of dopamine is degenerative, Parkinson's disease and schizophrenia are caused by lack of dopamine .... dopamine production does not affect the production or maintenance of serotonin in the body , of course the emotion of the game is linked to dopamine, more the learning and brain training that poker provides also not canceled by emotion or dopamine effect

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
cwd, do you have any sources to point to for your initial statement? Not that I doubt the validity, but as someone who is very close to someone with Alzheimer's, I am interested in further reading.[/QUOTE

There was a medical study performed in the 80's that claimed smoking cigarettes was linked to a decreased risk for developing Alzheimer's. People liked the results so much they didn't even notice the study was paid for by the tobacco industry.
It was considered a valid medical study until 2010 when an independent study performed at UCSF proved the exact opposite.
if you walk in the desert without water and the proper clothing can cause you to dementia and you start to see mirrages .... alcoholism, the use of narcotics and some types of medication can cause dementia ... cigarettes inhibit the production of biotin that is linked to cell renewal is really a salutary loss for every organism including the brain

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Zinzir

your argument regarding Dopamine production only adds to my thinking ... lack of dopamine is degenerative, Parkinson's disease and schizophrenia are caused by lack of dopamine .... dopamine production does not affect the production or maintenance of serotonin in the body , of course the emotion of the game is linked to dopamine, more the learning and brain training that poker provides also not canceled by emotion or dopamine effect

Parkinson's is the result of the degeneration and death of the cells in the substantia nigra part of the brain. Those cells produce dopamine, so their degeneration and disappearance leads to dopamine insufficiency and development of most symptoms of Parkinson's disease.
So it's not that "lack of dopamine is degenerative", it's the other way around, degeneration of the dopamine producing cells causes lack of dopamine.
Also, it's a known medical fact that dopamine excess has a down regulating effect on serotonin production. That is why drug addicts and degenerate gamblers, who encounter numerous dopamine spikes throughout the day, are quite unhappy, and their suicide rate is very high in comparison with the general population.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you walk in the desert without water and the proper clothing can cause you to dementia and you start to see mirrages .... alcoholism, the use of narcotics and some types of medication can cause dementia ... cigarettes inhibit the production of biotin that is linked to cell renewal is really a salutary loss for every organism including the brain

I think you are making a confusion between a mirage and a visual hallucination.

A mirage is a naturally occurring optical phenomenon in which light rays bend via refraction to produce a displaced image of distant objects or the sky.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage

cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you are making a confusion between a mirage and a visual hallucination.

A mirage is a naturally occurring optical phenomenon in which light rays bend via refraction to produce a displaced image of distant objects or the sky.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirage

a linguistic confusion, in Portuguese we use metaphors,Mirage BY METAPHOR that which presents itself as something very good, but which is not true; false reality, illusion, chimera, dream. mirage in Portuguese also means hallucination,

the word mirage was used in a context of dementia is well placed in the text, I believe that whoever is causing confusion in the topic is you, I will ask a Moderator to see what you are writing here

I wrote the topic just to talk about the benefits of poker, I didn't even think about causing linguistic misunderstandings

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Last edited:
cwdignus

cwdignus

Carpe diem
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker is a game where it is based on strategies, and that is where your brain comes into operation, of course, the more you play, the more your brain develops, you are working all the time, and that is good.

exactly...I thought the same thing

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me poker is a hobby and a good opportunity to have fun. I play for the sake of pleasure, but no doubt, through poker, I have become more patient and disciplined.