Phil Ivey or Gus Hansen

S

sham10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
which player do you reckon is the better player between Ivey an Hansen there my two fav players in the world but i cant decide which 1 is my fav.

rjeezy20146

rjeezy20146

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On cash games no doubt Phil Ivey but on tournaments its a flip in my opinion. the reason i like Gus is because he gives alot of action and dosent think alot about odds goes with his gut.

S

sham10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On cash games no doubt Phil Ivey but on tournaments its a flip in my opinion. the reason i like Gus is because he gives alot of action and dosent think alot about odds goes with his gut.

thats one of the reason why i like gus so much because he isn't scared to raise with nothing

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gus Hansen if definitely the more entertaining player, a lot of guys haven't notice this, but if Ivey has a bad run, or if he is not catching cards, the a-hole leaves any online cash game or live cash game. Gus is there for the action no matter what.

S

sham10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey is like the tiger woods of poker, gus is like rocky balboa of poker if u get me

M

manofthehour

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel Phil Ivey is a much better player at both cash games and tournament play. He seems to always do good in the main event and wsop circuit events but this year he got unlucky. Gus is still very good player, I wont doubt that, its just he seems to lose a lot more money than Ivey.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ivey and it's not even close.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gus Hansen if definitely the more entertaining player, a lot of guys haven't notice this, but if Ivey has a bad run, or if he is not catching cards, the a-hole leaves any online cash game or live cash game. Gus is there for the action no matter what.

He's an a-hole for being a smart player and leaving when he's not doing well?

B

-----bryce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
phil ivey are u serious no question. best player in the world!! all the pros hate playing with ivey. so if you have professionals saying they hate playing with someone because there too good then why would you even consider any one else to be the best?

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gus = Fish. Ivey = IVEY.

Isn't Gus stuck some ridiculous amount online, while Ivey is up some ridiculous amount.

Numbuh 0ne

Numbuh 0ne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gus is pretty much the fish of high stakes online, this isn't really even close

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Ivey is hands down the better poker player but don't forget Gus is also one of the best backgammon players in the world and he wins a lot of cash in tournaments and in private matches. I don't think his overall bankroll is hurting.

Also, I just looked and his PTR page shows him up over a million.

One more thing, read his book about his Aussie millions victory. Its a great book and really gives insight into his approach to the game. One thing I took away was his use of position. He made all of his "crazy" plays only when he had position. Also, in the back he gives a lot of mathematical analysis. He knows "correct" poker. The crazy stuff is very calculated.

aesopdurasic

aesopdurasic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think skill wise Ivey is the better all around player whether it be online/live or cash/tourney. I luv to watch Hansen play tho. I agree he is very calculated with his crazy and nutty lines... They seem to have no logic but there is always some calculated angle he sees in it. I wont mind being able to play like either of these players. Both are really good pros.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's an a-hole for being a smart player and leaving when he's not doing well?

for me he is an a-hole for various reason that i don't need to tell you. like not shacking Moneymakers hand when he eliminated him from the wsop, how hard is that? personally i just don't like the guy, so that makes him an asshole.

Plus, Hansen is a true gambler, just because he is down like 8 million online doesn't mean the guy is broke or anything, in fact, i think the guy is so rich 8 million is not that huge amount of money to him.

plus, he sold a site for 15 million dollars. and he is a very good backgammon player. true overall Ivey might be a better poker player, but Hansen just owns him at overall life.

i bet he banged more chicks than Ivey :eek:

GBurn387

GBurn387

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have to say Phil over all no doubt, but gus acts like he is playning w/ play $$$ lol, he will shove allin w nothing online w/o even thinkn twice, which allot is enough to win half the time...

Shady Vision

Shady Vision

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to say that Ivey has a more straight-forward way of playing, but Hansen is a great player too. Many people perceive him to be a player that doesn't pay attention to odds and just play on gut instinct but in fact he is very mathematical about his moves, just plays a different style that doesn't always pay off.

I'd suggest reading his book "Every Hand Revealed" for an insight into his crazy play-style.

S

sham10

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have to say that Ivey has a more straight-forward way of playing, but Hansen is a great player too. Many people perceive him to be a player that doesn't pay attention to odds and just play on gut instinct but in fact he is very mathematical about his moves, just plays a different style that doesn't always pay off.

I'd suggest reading his book "Every Hand Revealed" for an insight into his crazy play-style.

Gus doent care wat 2 cards he has cause most of the time he plays position poker

P

Peterporker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey is a very smart player. He usually likes to play it safe and that makes him less entertaining than gus hansen. Gus is more like the risk it type of guy and that's what makes him good to watch. If I have to learn from either of them though, it'd have to be ivey.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Might be as silly a question as I've seen here.

TheUndesirable

TheUndesirable

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey and it's not even close.

This. Hansen is a great player no doubt but when you talk about the greats, I doubt his name will get much of a mention whereas Ivey will be the the first name on many people's minds.

CheeseConey

CheeseConey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ivey is clearly better. Not even close.

N

NFLD_REBEL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My vote goes to Ivey. If the top pros say he's the best player in the world then I have to believe them.