My personal poker challenge

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I am back into poker for the first time in a few months. This time I have a new motive, so will post some background first. Stay with me.

I got made redundant about 6 months ago. I used my bank roll at the time as a basis to make money that I could withdraw. As I am living with my parents so outgoings are small - but still need covering. I used my Br of $300 to play $25nl. Not exactly sensible but I did well for a few months. Withdrawing about $200-$250 a week. But eventually after a few bad beats I tilted big time and ended up blowing the remainder in one big heads up STT.

After a long time of looking for a job that i wanted and having no luck. I started to look for any old job - again to no avail. The sheer number of applicants was not helping. Eventually a mate of a mate got me in where he works - no interview - just a job. I owe him big time for this, but it isnt exactly a long term career path. Its a bottom of the barrell job.
I plan to move out soon and move in with my partner. Just need to get a job near her then move in.

Im not totally sure why I am doing a bankroll challenge. I think it is to prove to myself what I can do if I put my mind to it. I have turned a small deposit of circa $75 into $500 a few times in the past. But lose direction once I hit $500 and eventually withdraw or lose it.

I am good enough to beat nearly all players at $10nl (not hard I know ) and most at $25nl. The thing that I need to work on is discipline (I know its a big aspect of a good poker player). I need to be able to press exit when I lose a big pot, get a bad beat or am playing too many hands due to a wandering mind.

I have set a few methods in place to help with this.

So my challenge is this. To still have a bankroll when I have found my now job and to have added to it. Even just a little so I have a reasonable relocation fund (the first months rent and deposit would be great).
I will post up a running update every know and then.
Wish me luck.

This post is dedicated to those looking for work in these hard times. There is hope - you just need to believe in yourself and keep going - explore every possibility you have around you.

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Progress and notes.

I started a few days ago.

I will play 5c10c only. Each time I am tempted to deviate I will exit the room.

The first few days are

Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117 (today - finished work late so only played while writing the above)

Days are only counted when I play poker. If I go a few days without playing - those days will not be numbered.

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My god I hate it when this forum logs me out and loss the massive post I was writing.
Anyway. I will write this in notepad and copy & paste.
Wow. What a start to day four. I log on and find the pot averages a lot bigger. Perhaps it is very late night in the US and people are chasing.
I sit down with $15 at two tables (max buy in at these 5c10c tables is $15)
After a little bit I am getting some reads. Mainly on the player after me. He is v aggressive. Always protects his big blind and steamrollers the table with big bets. Think Tom Dwan without the skill and you have the idea. His stack is $42.
A few hand later I limp call his bband he bets his usual 30c. The reason I played the hand as i did is because of my read. And his story did not add up across the streets. It was screaming bluff.
NB neither hands there is a poss flush on so suits are ignored.
I have QJ off and call his 30c raise.
Flop 28Q
hero check
villain 30c
hero call
Turn A
hero check
villain $1.0
hero call
River 4
hero check
villain huge delay then $10
hero calls
Villain had T5 off
hero wins $25ish pot

A few hands later
hero A9s
flop
28A
hero check
villain 90c
hero call
turn K
hero check
villain $3.60
hero call
river 4
hero check
villain all in for about $21
hero calls
villain shows 52off (Yes five two offsuit)

I know check calling is considered weak / poor play. But if you are very sure you have the best hand AND know the villain will not stop bluffing I think it is the most profitable way to play the hand.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definately, the poker circle of life says passive beats maniac. I think he slots in their nicely.

S

SONIC589

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very good progress so far!! Keep the updates coming!

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117
Day 4 - $160

Played a fair bit on day 4 and didnt play one bad starting hand - I am very happy with that.

I also avoided being too creative with my plays - I dont think you need this skill to beat 5c10c. I know I will miss some chances by not playing slightly lesser starting hands - but I will have less variance which is important to me in this challenge.

Just played the good hands hard and fast.

A few tough beats. inclusing getting it all in with Aces pre flop. Lose to a pair of sixes hitting a set. Managed to clear my head an carry on playing good poker.

I have also noticed a few players who are very tight with their starting hands sometimes after a bad beat they will play a lot more hands and they are good to exploit at this stage - only if I have a valid hand to do so.

Got a phone call during day 4 and I might be given an interview either sat on sun for a job near my partner. Will mean a weekend away from the tables and should be back to it on monday. If I got it I would feel a bit bad giving in my notice after only a month and half - but it was always a short term thing and the turnover is high anyway - and they certainly have enough staff to cover losing one. Plus I want the other career and to get out of home.

Im trying to ignore the numbers but I might hit my next milestone and get over $200 by early next week.

Have a good weekend everybody

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After a long day at work I am doing a little bit of friday night / sat morning poker.

Heres a hand that went perfect for me. Villain top of shot.

Villain raised pre flop to 60c
Hero calls
One more caller

villain bets 90
hero raised to $1.80
other player folds
villain goes all in
hero calls

Turn

River

straightcensor.jpg

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117
Day 4 - $160
Day 5 - $175 (played for 60mins)

Am away now until monday now.

Stuventus

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117
Day 4 - $160
Day 5 - $175
Day 6 - $196

So tired and eyes a bit painful as have been on comp for a while today. Started bad as went down to $140. But played well and found some donks in the evening and finished up.

Weekend interview was okay. Sounds like they want more experience. But I need to get a job in the field first.

So close to $200. But trying to keep the numbers out of my head.

Night all.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Awesome, you are doing great so far. Keep your head, you seem like you can make a nice profit while you are looking for that new job.

BEERM4N

BEERM4N

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great stuff mate and good luck with the job :)

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your kind posts.

Bit refreshed after a nights sleep so can do a real analysis of day 6.

The point where I went down to $140 would be the point where I usually tilted or tried to win it all back quickly at STT heads up - at which I am not that strong. I took a 30minute break, went outside and had a small meal.

Upon returning to the tables I was able to imagine I had never got to $175 and had actually started the day on $140. After a few hours grinding I got to the $195.

I watched a bit of mid stakes games and noticed the better players raised a constant amount pre flop. So I have decided to raise a set amount pre flop with every hand that I plan to raise with. This also makes it easier to fold KK/AA if the flop is not related.

Since ive been doing that at 5c10c I notice so many of the players raise say $1-$2 with aces / kings. And if they have a big stack it sometimes makes sense to call with suited cons if last to act. Or whats been most profitable is calling low/mid pairs and only playing on if I spike a set. For this I only call is the player raising is solid/tight (ie is likely to have AA/KK with a big raise) and also their remaining stack must be 10x their bet.

Off to work soon.

Hope to spend a day at the tables tomoz.

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117
Day 4 - $160
Day 5 - $175
Day 6 - $196
Day 7 - $220

Managed to get a little in after work as didnt read rota properly and I finished an hour earlier than expected.

Was bumbling along with no real cards, just managing to tick over $200. Then I flop two pair which turns into a boat on the river. At the same time the chap who was first to act simply checked / called the flop and turn. Then decided to play leap frog on my full house river

He had flopped a straight and moaned about online poker afterwards.

Happy days.

Night all.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow your doing very well.

how often do you play each day man?

o and also how many tables to you play and at what limits exactly?

how much do you sit down with at a table...10 20.25 bucks?

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks PattyR.

On a playing day it will be anywhere between 45mins-3hours.

I play 5c10c which allows a $20max buy - unusual as most are $10 (nb sorry I said $15 on post #3 that was my mistake).

I buy in with between $14-16 I usually enter a random number like $14.77.

I only play two tables at once. If I play any more it goes a little too fast when you get a playable hand on each one. I really like to have reasons for my bets post flop and extract the most money with the better hands.

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117
Day 4 - $160
Day 5 - $175
Day 6 - $196
Day 7 - $220
Day 8 - $201

Well it had to happen eventually. Finish a day down - but avoided the temptation I used to get of doing a 1 on 1 single table tourney in desperation.

Night all.

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your doing really well, Good Luck and i hope u accomplish your goals!!

damon789

damon789

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best Of Luck.

So, I am back into poker for the first time in a few months. This time I have a new motive, so will post some background first. Stay with me.

I got made redundant about 6 months ago. I used my bank roll at the time as a basis to make money that I could withdraw. As I am living with my parents so outgoings are small - but still need covering. I used my Br of $300 to play $25nl. Not exactly sensible but I did well for a few months. Withdrawing about $200-$250 a week. But eventually after a few bad beats I tilted big time and ended up blowing the remainder in one big heads up STT.

After a long time of looking for a job that i wanted and having no luck. I started to look for any old job - again to no avail. The sheer number of applicants was not helping. Eventually a mate of a mate got me in where he works - no interview - just a job. I owe him big time for this, but it isnt exactly a long term career path. Its a bottom of the barrell job.
I plan to move out soon and move in with my partner. Just need to get a job near her then move in.

Im not totally sure why I am doing a bankroll challenge. I think it is to prove to myself what I can do if I put my mind to it. I have turned a small deposit of circa $75 into $500 a few times in the past. But lose direction once I hit $500 and eventually withdraw or lose it.

I am good enough to beat nearly all players at $10nl (not hard I know ) and most at $25nl. The thing that I need to work on is discipline (I know its a big aspect of a good poker player). I need to be able to press exit when I lose a big pot, get a bad beat or am playing too many hands due to a wandering mind.

I have set a few methods in place to help with this.

So my challenge is this. To still have a bankroll when I have found my now job and to have added to it. Even just a little so I have a reasonable relocation fund (the first months rent and deposit would be great).
I will post up a running update every know and then.
Wish me luck.

This post is dedicated to those looking for work in these hard times. There is hope - you just need to believe in yourself and keep going - explore every possibility you have around you.
Hey Buddy, sounds like you are learning your lessons the hard way as we all have to. I guess the trick is to build it up slowy and dont overextended your Bankroll as you have done in the past. your situation reminds me of a poker quote i read somewhere "what's the good of knowing how to play good solid poker if you dont consistently do it" hang in there bro and good luck with your personal goals. peace.

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again, thanks for the replies people. As I have mentioned to Stu I will be doing some reading up on position - probably over the weekened.

Quick 30minutes at the table (only just got home from work) and found a donk playing every hand. Totally incapable of folding. And as soon as he left I also stood up. Work eariler friday so need to get sleep - hopefully will get some poker in the evening and can log on when the drunkards are donating.

Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117
Day 4 - $160
Day 5 - $175
Day 6 - $196
Day 7 - $220
Day 8 - $201
Day 9 - $225

Night all

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quick update

Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117
Day 4 - $160
Day 5 - $175
Day 6 - $196
Day 7 - $220
Day 8 - $201
Day 9 - $225
Day 10 - $223
Day 11 - $246

Seen a lot of players playing like I used to. While I am being tight and keeping a thin range of starting hands I keep a little unpredictable. This one player I saw was very tight pre flop and raises were like clockwork.
about 20c on suited cons, about 35c on small pairs, 50c mid pairs. 70cAK/AQ over a dollar on big pairs.

So its just me and him in the hand. I flat call with A6 suited for 55c pre flop and it hits A67 rainbow. Three reasons I played the hand. One I had position (now seeing the benefit). Two I had a good read. Three, a lesser reason, A6 suited is a tiny bit better than A6. I told myself no fancy play - unless I hit hard I fold.

So, he bets out $1.40. I pause and decide to play it hard and represent a bluff or a scared ace. I bump it to $5 and he shoved all in and showed AK. Turn and river were not help (one was a ten and didnt notice the other).

He moaned at me for being a fish.

This really showed me the importance of both

:Not overplaying TPTK

:Not being easy to read.

I used to be the low stakes player unable to fold AK. when an ace or king hits. Now I read the situation and ask. What would they have to be re raising me?

He moaned at me for playing A6 and then proceeded to tilt a bit off before leaving.

HJJKSRGOOD

HJJKSRGOOD

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
wow , just read this whole thread . Your doing great up 202$ after just 11 days of playing 5c10c tables . keep up the great work .

TheRinser

TheRinser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish you the very best of luck

Sounds like hard times. Im feeling it too. As for your BR good luck! I have the same problem as you do. Disipline. I either get excited when i win a big pot or leave a table with a nice turn over and something comes over me and i think im phil helmouth, and usually either lose a chunk of it and cash out starting back at the bottom.

S

stuventus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally card dead this session. Am happy because it tested me mentally. At no point was I tempted to play more hands / play looser.

Day 0 - $42 deposited
Day 1 - $65
Day 2 - $110
Day 3 - $117
Day 4 - $160
Day 5 - $175
Day 6 - $196
Day 7 - $220
Day 8 - $201
Day 9 - $225
Day 10 - $223
Day 11 - $246
Day 12 - $256

More traits I see in other players that I used to to. Berating the player that is incapable of folding a flush draw and catches - or making their inside straight draw calling a huge bet to do so. They then proceed to loosen up and semi tilt. These are easy fodder for me when I hit a hand.

And I must admit it. I throw in a few witty retorts to fuel their anger. Never in a rude way but none the less they can get really wound up.

I know it might be frowned upon, but its never offensive - and they always have the option to turn chat off.

I have been spending more focus on enjoying the game and making the right decisions. As Doyle says: "Poker isnt about making money, its about making the right decisions"

Amen to that.

M

maolitas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a good job Stuventus, I wish you the best of luck, and that you'll raise your bankroll as much as possible :)

Also, I would wish you something else: I hope you'll get a job soon, I guess it would help you a lot!
Have fun :)