d'ohh

d'ohh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
icon6.gif
Perfectly random Shuffles
Its funny how some people see more odd hands and situations over time(Royal Flush) and others never see those odd hands even with the exact amount hands played.
Must prove a fact about cards and shuffling 52 in the deck.......

Its always gonna be perfectly random...despite people's cries of "rigged" or "fixed"....however this brings us to the debate how random are the deals if u use the same person or machine to shuffle the 52 cards over a period of time?

The word random is used to express lack of order, purpose, cause, or predictability in non-scientific parlance. A random process is a repeating process whose outcomes follow no describable deterministic pattern, but follow a probability distribution.(wikipedia)

J

jsi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, as i've said in the AA vs AA thread, i've seen

AA vs KK vs QQ vs JJ and another player folded TT
AA vs KK vs KK
AA vs AK vs AK

I had the AA in all of those and won.

I only "seen" a straight flush once at a table while being out of the hand. Never even came within one card of hitting one myself.

Never seen a Royal. The closest was when the board actually contained 4 Royal cards.

I've wondered many times if it is actually rigged many times myself. But what's more probable is that with the advent of online poker we are just seeing soooo many more hands that it's normal that we'll see some freak hands like that.

Also, a lot of people tend to remember the really bad beats the receive while holding AA or KK than all the times they win with those same hands. I trained myself a while ago to mentally block those beats and just savor the big pot wins that come with monster hands and even the bad beats inflicted onto others on the river after a questionable call. Makes the game more enjoyable that way rather than crying over bad beats forever.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had a royal and several straight flushes. If it was rigged, don't you think they would have told me about it? With my royal, I think I made about $5. Didn't even get a tee-shirt! At the time, sites were giving out such bonuses for royals, but not where I got it.

My bad beat with KK vs. KK is when the flop, turn, AND river were all diamonds. That was in a tournament, put me out.

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker sites use a hardware RNG to ensure true randomness rather than pseudo-randomness. Computers often generate “random” numbers by taking a fixed seed (like the current time) and running it through a very unpredictable function. This makes the output seem random, but if you know the original seed number, you can just run the function again and predict what the “random” number will be. Hardware RNG is truly random. An example is a radioactive source and a Geiger counter. You can’t predict when the next atom will decay, when the Geiger counter will next “blip.” No one can. It’s a law of nature. You can use the random blips of a Geiger counter to generate truly random, unpredictable numbers. This is similar to how the poker sites RNG works. I've seen everything and anything playing online poker. Either happening to me, or me dusting someone else. Shi* happens.

More important things to worry about playing online then the RNG.

Last edited:
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
icon6.gif
Perfectly random Shuffles
Its funny how some people see more odd hands and situations over time(Royal Flush) and others never see those odd hands even with the exact amount hands played.
Must prove a fact about cards and shuffling 52 in the deck.......

Its always gonna be perfectly random...despite people's cries of "rigged" or "fixed"....however this brings us to the debate how random are the deals if u use the same person or machine to shuffle the 52 cards over a period of time?
No one will deny that some people see more oddly structured hands than others, but the premise behind your statement about proving "a fact about cards and shuffling 52 in the deck" (basically your rigged over time claim) is flawed. There is absolutely NO correlation between long term distribution of cards and who observes them. They are mutually exclusive things and one cannot be used to prove/support the other.