Pay the bubble

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was at Foxwoods over the weekend and I played a tournament for a $160 buy-in. It was the easiest trip to the final table that I can recall. The problem was that they were only paying 9 spots. The guys wanted to all throw in $20 to pay the bubble. I didn't have $20 on me but one of the guys was willing to put it up for me. I had an above average chip stack and I didn't think I needed to get in on it. I was wrong. Every time the short stack was all-in they would double up. I was trying to stay out of the action until some one busted. Then I picked up a pair of Aces in the hole and someone move all-in ahead of me. I was on the button and no one else called so I did. When I turned over my hand The kid said "Ah shit" he had A9 suited. Well he caught One heart on the flop, one on the turn and one on the river. He took 3/4's of my stack making me the short stack at the table. I had so few chips at that point I was no threat to anyone and it wasn't long before I was knocked out on the bubble.
The hand I had just before that I folded AQ because the chip leader raise the pot and I didn't want to get into a hand and get knocked out. Had I played the hand I would have doubled up off of him and knocked out another player. Had I paid the $20 for the bubble and already been in the money I may have been more willing to gamble and would have been in position to take 1st place.
My greed got the best of me. What I did was worse that not insuring a blackjack. I still can't believe what a dope I was for not putting up $20 for a guaranteed $180. In the end I got what I had coming to me (nothing). Karma came calling and bit me in the ass. Next time I won't make the same mistake twice.

I

icandonkyou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been in similar situations as well. I always paid the bubble. It is something I have seen in many games to pay out the bubble between the final players. Karma can bite you in the butt at times and in this case that is what happened. Better luck next time and pay the bubble next time for sure $20 to win $180 makes sense there.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is impossible to make such findings on the basis of one tournament. At a distance it is profitable? If not, then do not do it. Personally, I'm not going to pay. If I become a bubble boy , then let it be so. I'm not upset. This part of the game. :eek:

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is impossible to make such findings on the basis of one tournament. At a distance it is profitable? If not, then do not do it. Personally, I'm not going to pay. If I become a bubble boy , then let it be so. I'm not upset. This part of the game. :eek:
I hear what your saying but I was playing with my lunch money. I should have taken the sure thing. I was still very much in it and still could have gotten more. At witch point I wouldn't have missed the $20.

Pokericon08

Pokericon08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That sucks. I hate losses like that where you play a good game and make few mistakes only to bust out against a much weaker hand. At least you played it out.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's an interesting spot. Basically you could have paid $20 to be in the money. So if I walked up to you and said, "Hey if you give me $20 then I will hand you $200 right now and more later." What would you say? LOL

On the other hand - healthy stacks often think they can apply pressure to the shorties. But the shorties have their shoving range and in this case the player hit his outs. Let's face it...A9 suited is a shoving hand when he is short. You had AA but it could have been KK QQ JJ TT or 22 in this example.....it's just one pair.

When it's a bigger field - maybe we are on the bubble but there are 81 players left....I want the bubble to last FOREVER! lol

What you experienced and are describing is some reverse expected value. Because you went from probably cashing for ~$700 all the way to zero $0.

Good luck !

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea I've always paided the bubble when it's less then 10 for a payout.... you never know what's gonna happen, and the amount everyone needs to pay to give to the bubble is so little compared to thier ROI it's pointless not too.... it speeds up action, people play more comfortably, and overall makes the game more enjoyable for everyone left.