Patience or knowledge

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which is more important in poker: patience or knowledge?
What I mean by patience is waiting for good hands or good situations for bluff.
What I mean by knowledge is stuff you have learned about poker like what experts and experience have taught you.
Patience or knowledge?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I mean by knowledge is stuff you have learned about poker like what experts and experience have taught you.
Patience or knowledge?

Overall I think knowledge is more important, but quite possibly patience is more important for those that are totally new to the game.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe its patience! If you don't have good cards it makes it hard to win.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Overall I think knowledge is more important, but quite possibly patience is more important for those that are totally new to the game.

I agree 100%

Also the more advanced you become at poker the more that knowledge can improve your game, "can" doesn't necessarily mean it will improve your play or game but it does give you more possibilities and can give a more in depth understanding of situations

I would say applied knowledge and continual adaptation are the key to success, applied knowledge would also include timing and patience during play.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Both of these factors are important and necessary for success. A player who has excellent knowledge but has no patience is doomed to fail. A player who has the patience but lacks the necessary knowledge will also not succeed.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience or knowledge?
They are equally as important because without poker knowledge, you would be patiently waiting for what?:)

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to go with patience.

You could have all the knowledge in the world, but if you can't wait fro the right situation to use it... you're done.

This was a big leak in my game. After a few hours of play I would get bored and start doing stupid shit, even though I had the knowledge that I shouldn't play in that manor...

"go all in in early position with a pair of twos against a table full of calling stations... why not? let it ride!" -- This was degenerate gambling at its finest.:stoned:

I've learned better patience, and I've also learned that when I start to feel that boredom well up that it's just time to go. up/down/even doesn't matter... time to go.

N

NicoVlopez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that knowledge encompasses patience. I do not think you can be successful in the world of poker if you fail to be patient. Good long-term decisions are those taken with enough patience.
Personally I find anxiety (I am very anxious) as the main problem to be solved if I want to improve my game. Often I take wrong decisions because I do not wait for the right time.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think patience is more important. Only a patient player can acquire the necessary knowledge and improve their skills.
Good luck.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Both of these factors are very important for winning poker, but nevertheless I will put in the first place - "knowledge" !!!

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need patience and knowledge in poker, it is impossible to win if there is not one of these skills.:)

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowledge is way more important then being patient. If you have skill to bluff, judge right the situation you will be able to make your stack bigger, waiting a good starting hand is just unthinkable, what you will do if you get in situation where over 1 hour you are getting weak hands. Wait being patient doesn't work in your advantage, your stack is getting low and you are still hoping for that good hand witch need to come and what after ? You 3 bet, everyone fold because you are off play for so long and one player call, flop comes all same suit you have pair KK with no suit same as flop for making flush. You bet, get raised, call and guest what ? Opponent have ace as a highest flush, you lose the tour and starting to be angry, why poker always don't pay the "good hands". online poker must be set up is your next though. You can't play poker with waiting, poker is a game of action and you must adapt to it. All the best.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning you should learn some basics and wait for hands which are easier to play so patience is very important. When you improve your skills you will be able to play more hands and get value from them.

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
of course knowledge first,, how can you play poker correctly without studiying before?? patiently waiting for a good hand or knowing how bluffing is obtained by learning...

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When my patience gets to level 1 or below, I suddenly feel the urge to totally obliterate someone or something. But if you try to tell a beginner how to think without giving them any other knowledge, they will doesn't work for you, you can go ahead and find yet another forum to troll. My patience works a bit differently than your levels

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowledge is King. :icon_king

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience. It's the one thing that gets away so easily when playing cards. You can always wait for a better spot to play a hand.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowledge on pacience.

Knowing that you have to have patience. Knowledge wins. Gl have fun

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything you mentioned matters. But besides this, there are several more factors that cannot be ruled out.

PistolPete89

PistolPete89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience or knowledge?

They can't really be separated by given a strict choice knowledge. I watch players scoff at profitable plays because they don't have the knowledge to understand things like pot odds etc.

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forgot about patience it's not something you use to play poker. Matter a fact it's not even a skill. I'll explain what I mean but let me start by saying that our knowledge and our understanding of the game is the most important thing we need without understand or the game we would have no way of developing or game. It's knowledge the drives out play. But knowledge but itself won't improve our play we have to able to take the things we learn and apply them to our play. The more we learn the we change our play the better we get all the skills we develop come from from this process of learning and applying. Arguable the most important skill we need is discipline. In particular we need to be disciplined enough to play to play our hand correctly it sounds easy enough but what you find out quickly is that the way that's best to play quite often isn't not how you want o play. We use discipline to play the hands correctly. I think when you mention patience what your talking about is discipline. We gain the knowledge as to what hands we should or shouldn't play which we call are hand ranges once we know them we try and stay as discipline as we can and only play the correct hands. When we are playing disciplined we may go a long stretches between playable hands. We will patience as we wait but the patience is only a by product of our knowledge of the game combined with our discipline of play

Last edited:
H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100%

Also the more advanced you become at poker the more that knowledge can improve your game, "can" doesn't necessarily mean it will improve your play or game but it does give you more possibilities and can give a more in depth understanding of situations

I would say applied knowledge and continual adaptation are the key to success, applied knowledge would also include timing and patience during play.

good point about adaptation as well. I think this is key as well so I don't get in a rut or too predictable.

H

hellomynameiswhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
Both of these factors are important and necessary for success. A player who has excellent knowledge but has no patience is doomed to fail. A player who has the patience but lacks the necessary knowledge will also not succeed.
Well said. I think for me the patience is the hardest which is hard to admit because i usually think of myself as a patient person. I look forward to improving both.

freerollz

freerollz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both.

When you first start out in poker, knowledge is the first thing you'll need to get up to speed. However, with just a modicum of knowledge, you can become sufficiently dangerous at the table, given enough patience. Focus, patience, and alertness are all critical for success.

Of course, if your goal is to become world-class, considerable study is necessary to keep up with the bleeding edge of poker knowledge.