passport to verify identity?

U

uncleterry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all pokerroyale has asked me to fax them a copy of my passport before i can withdraw my funds. is this safe or has anybody had problems like identity theft

aloevera

aloevera

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most sites ask for verification of identity for withdrawal purposes. I'm not familiar with your site. But I've had to verify at UB, and tilt. Never a problem with identity theft with the bigger sites.

Usually they just want to confirm its you that the funds are going to and that it matches your sign up info on the site.

Somebody perhaps who has an account at that particular site can best answer you as I stay away from smaller sites.

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all pokerroyale has asked me to fax them a copy of my passport before i can withdraw my funds. is this safe or has anybody had problems like identity theft

I see no reason for this. A passport does not have your street address, nor do they know what you look like, so how would they confirm it's you? I would never send send a copy of my passport anywhere, especially not to anyone overseas. Ask them why a drivers License and utility bill isn't good enough. At any rate, if I DID send my passport anywhere, I would hide the birthday (show them the year), cross out the passport number, AND a thick 'X' across the face.

P.S. There are some places in the world where a real US passport is worth 10s of thousands of dollars on the open market. Something to think about.

Last edited:
S

supercilious

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not uncommon at all to ask for a passport (as these are hard to forge, whereas a drivers license and utility bill is not). I would not be worried unless the site is extremely sketchy, in which case why were you playing there!

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not uncommon at all to ask for a passport (as these are hard to forge, whereas a drivers license and utility bill is not). I would not be worried unless the site is extremely sketchy, in which case why were you playing there!

What is the purpose in the first place for asking for ID? Isn't it just to be reasonably sure the name and address you gave them matches the name they will conceivably be paying out funds to? There are no issues of visas, immigration, homeland security or proof of citizenship (like when you apply for a job). For what it's worth, drivers licences (at least in the states I have seen) are not that easy to duplicate anymore either. But if you're asking for a B & W Xerox copy of anything, it can be forged.

Bottom line, I can see the poker site saying they'll accept a passport copy in lieu of a drivers license, but not to require it. Many people don't even have one. But if this passport requirement is nowhere to be found in the deposits and withdrawals section, it sounds sketchy enough to me. In fact, I believe no site should ask you for ID as long as there are no issues of duplicate accts or other problems. If they take my credit card (which includes address info) to deposit, and I choose a viable means to withdraw, should be end of story. Let them send a confirmation of withdrawal request to the same email address that I registered with. That is proof, no?

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I wouldn't give my passport to anyone, never mind an overseas {probably} poker site. Most sites ask for some form of ID, like a phone bill or a copy of license to verify your address.

F

fuggs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well

WELL thats a shame...
I dont beleive in putting in my own money when there to much free money out there....

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WELL thats a shame...
I dont beleive in putting in my own money when there to much free money out there....
Some sites require you to deposit before you can withdraw. But what might this have to do with the original post? :confused:

M

maolitas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some sites do that, so I guess this is safe.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every site I have withdrawed from except for poker stars has asked for me to fax some form of identification to them.
some are more complex than others to withdraw from.