Passion Fading

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you guys ever lose your drive to play/study? Ever feel burnt out and just not interested or not fun? Maybe from a downswing, or from playing too much, etc. Besides the obvious "take a break", how do you guys get your fire back after the break? How do you get the momentum of daily study and grinding and have fun doing it? How do you find a new gear once you've hit a plateau?

I have recently felt my fire dying and the drive to keep getting better is fading. Some of it is burn out, some of it is seeing my improvement and feeling getting better but not seeing results (Over a 3 year period of intense focus). I can feel it slipping away and Im wondering if anyone has been on the brink and been able to flip it around and get your passion back and get hungry again. Thanks.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you guys ever lose your drive to play/study? Ever feel burnt out and just not interested or not fun? Maybe from a downswing, or from playing too much, etc. Besides the obvious "take a break", how do you guys get your fire back after the break? How do you get the momentum of daily study and grinding and have fun doing it? How do you find a new gear once you've hit a plateau?

I have recently felt my fire dying and the drive to keep getting better is fading. Some of it is burn out, some of it is seeing my improvement and feeling getting better but not seeing results (Over a 3 year period of intense focus). I can feel it slipping away and Im wondering if anyone has been on the brink and been able to flip it around and get your passion back and get hungry again. Thanks.

Hi LadderingUp. Man reading your post, it was like you were talking about me. I just come through one of the same. I really can't tell you how to get past that feeling, but it did go away for me and it will for you. One thing I believe helped me was that I went on facebook and started playing Spades and Gin Rummy which got me thinking about something else besides my poker problems. Taking breaks like that has helped me and besides that, it's fun, which poker should be, but like you all the fun was gone from poker for me. Another, thing I did was to play at 2nl/5nl cash games, and that is fun also, and I didn't have to worry about losing much money. That's what you have to find, Back To Some Fun. Just don't let it keep dragging you down. Do something else. GL to you

LadderingUp

LadderingUp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi LadderingUp. Man reading your post, it was like you were talking about me. I just come through one of the same. I really can't tell you how to get past that feeling, but it did go away for me and it will for you. One thing I believe helped me was that I went on facebook and started playing Spades and Gin Rummy which got me thinking about something else besides my poker problems. Taking breaks like that has helped me and besides that, it's fun, which poker should be, but like you all the fun was gone from poker for me. Another, thing I did was to play at 2nl/5nl cash games, and that is fun also, and I didn't have to worry about losing much money. That's what you have to find, Back To Some Fun. Just don't let it keep dragging you down. Do something else. GL to you

Thanks man! I have thought of some of that and have taken the breaks and am fairly balanced. I have normal job and what not, other hobbies and poker is just the dream, ya know but by far and away my main thing, but I started to feel it after taking a 2 month long break from all poker earlier this year. When I came back to it I didnt have the same drive and focus to study and retain and be an active member of the forums. Been fighting it ever since and cant seem to get it going. When I play Im just not super into it, Im having fun but just clicking buttons. Maybe this is a jump start in itself lol. The wife and I are upgrading to bigger house next week. Having a new office may help as well. I know that maybe playing a part in it, anticipating this move for a few months now. Just thought Id reach out here for some clarity. Ill keep the thread posted. I appreciate the chats.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not connect with poker all your free time, let it be like a hobby that brings profit, do not focus on results in poker too much, in life very much interesting, discover something new, rest from these distributions and terrible dispersion, distract and over time desire to return, and now take more important.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi.
Now I have complete indifference to the game, I have been in the hospital for three weeks, trying to play, but I feel that I cannot scan the game, maybe it is from the surrounding atmosphere, or from the medications I am taking, but I have lost my excitement in the game, and this affects the result. I hope after discharge from the hospital everything will be fine, both excitement and desire.

D

David Gibson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a topic that I am currently going through too.
I have been grinding in all my free time and I am feeling ground out.
I need to find my balance of family, work, and poker.
I still have the desire to play and win, but I can see other parts of my life being neglected. Then I feel guilty for the neglect and fall apart on my game.
I find it nearly impossible to not play when I have a free minute. But trying to get a minutes play in only gets me in a spot that I can't play conservatively.
I think I need to schedule my time so that I can focus on just the game.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

if it happens to me !! around there I sign up for tournaments, then I think about it and say I'm not tired or with little desire and I leave the registry !!! Yesterday, for example, I was going to play a couple of tournaments and then I regretted it.

Aleks75

Aleks75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!:)
Many regulars complain about this condition when interest in the game disappears.Many people go to poker psychologists(to set goals,review their working regime, adequately assess their condition), others start streaming or find people who can help with the game.

Hi.
Now I have complete indifference to the game, I have been in the hospital for three weeks, trying to play, but I feel that I cannot scan the game, maybe it is from the surrounding atmosphere, or from the medications I am taking, but I have lost my excitement in the game, and this affects the result. I hope after discharge from the hospital everything will be fine, both excitement and desire.
Hi!
I wish you to get well as soon as possible.Your condition is related to the disease,focus on the treatment . If you don't want to lose your shape, reduce the load and don't focus on the result-the main thing is your A-game.If you have a coronavirus, then this may be due to the fact that the disease hits the brain(like a micro-stroke) and with this, cognitive thinking decreases by 3-7%.

Last edited by a moderator:
COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Many times when I'm tired, in particular, I "try the game" without high hopes, just to have the pleasure of playing a few poker hands.

A

aviatorsam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, gotta do some meditation and try get back to the basics of what made you passionate to begin with

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I felt the same way a couple of years ago and I took a break of years from poker and came back to play about a year ago and now I have fun playing. I know you don't want to take a break, maybe it would be interesting if you set short term goals that will keep motivate to play and study.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course. You need to look for motivation. In my country, for a day of work at the factory, they pay less than I can win by 0.25. Therefore, I play and will play, whether I want to or not.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Although I've only been playing poker for about three years, I've never lost interest in the game. Poker always causes me only pleasant emotions and brings me pleasure. Sometimes I can get tired and in such cases I just take a break for a few days. I think you need to rest. Try to take a break for 1-2 weeks. I think a break will help you.

J

jesusali1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm in that same stage of losing the desire to play poker, the bad thing is that the bad beats are the worst that are hitting me now, I always have good hands but a bad hand like a 5 and J beats me with a flush or double pair, someone who can help me to predict these bad hands.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there are no results then you should review things to see what is happening.