Passing the MARKERS in Texas Hold Em

B

Bayite

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully this is not too lengthy.

I was playing in my first live money game (not a large buy in). We were down to Four players (for simplicity sake - Names are A; B; C & D) 'A' had the dealer button; 'B' had the small blind; 'C' had the big blind; D had no ante. At the end of the round... 'B' was out of the tournament ; (if 'B' did not gone out they would have had the dealer marker; 'C' would have had the small blind, 'D' The Big Blind etc..)... BUT 'B' was now out... there was confusion on how the markers would go for the remaining 3 players. It ended up that 'C' had both the Dealer Marker and The SMALL Blind, 'D' had the Big Blind and 'A' had nothing. Was this the correct way in handling the markers under these circumstances?? OR/ should have player 'C' missed putting in the ANTE and just become the dealer - then 'D' have the small blind and 'A' have the Big Blind? If anyone knows where I can find this answer (or has the answer it would save us confusion next time)...Thanks in advance.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
C should have been dealer. D should have been small blind. A should have been big blind. If I am reading this correctly, it should not have made any difference whether B got out or not. If B had stayed in the game, it would have been the same thing. The dealer button would be placed in where B sat before he got out. The dealer button continues on as if B was still there.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer one question first. A player should never get to miss paying one of the blinds. That would be a big mistake.

The simple way to hand the blinds is called the dead button. This is what 95% of tournaments use now. It is easier to follow and is more player friendly.

This means that the dealer button would still move to where player B was sitting even though it is now empty (dead player). Player C is still small blind and player D is large blind.

The following hand things will be back to normal with C having the button, D the small blind and A the big blind.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Titans has it - "dead" button in Player B's seat, C pays the small blind, D pays the big blind. This means that A effectively gets the button two hands in a row, but them's the breaks.

Easiest way to work it out is actually to move the blinds first. C had the big blind last hand, so D must have it this hand. C had the big blind last hand, so they must have the small blind this hand. Once that's sorted, just put the button one seat behind C, even if that seat has just been vacated.

When there's more than two players left in the game, a player can never have the button and a blind.

The real fun starts when one more player goes out and you've gotta work out where the button goes to start play heads up :p

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules