Pair of 8 8 or KQ ?

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
With low pocket pairs its hard sometimes to figure are you good to continue or not.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
KQ

88 is not a very high pair, I prefer KQ since I think I have a better chance of winning.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KQ is a quite good card. I am often lucky with it and yes, it's often good against a small pocket pair or even a pair of jacks.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a coin flip. I would choose K Q especially if they were suited.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a coin flip only if its al in preflop. I think there could be much more of a question about those hands then just al in preflop. Like how do you proceed with 88, how do you find if you are beat or not, there will certainly be several overcards to your 88, stuff like that,
It is a coin flip. I would choose K Q especially if they were suited.

AQA272

AQA272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
88 nice pair....а good pair according to my personal statistics very rarely lost with 88 coin flip.And by the way, it is ahead in equity against KQ.

GL!!!!

M

Mahereid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in this case depends on position but I like KQ more

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would take 88 and try to flop a set

KQ can get you in trouble against AK , AQ

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

good question!!! It depends on the moment of the game, the stak of chips the preflop position would tell you a pair of 88 if it would be short KQ

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pocket 8's are the best hand here and why i would prefer it. 8's are easy to get away from as well without loosing a ton of chips most days. With KQ you can flop top pair and still be out kicked and since your so likely good you will loose a lot of chips when it happens.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that kq have more chances to beat any small pair, especially if it is kq suited, we will definitely have more chances.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have no preference for either of them!
I think a pair has the factor of already being formed in your hand. In this case, it is necessary to bet to get the most players from the table.
However, 88 is not a good hand and you risk investing in a pot that right after the flop will have to fold.
Look at your stack and decide if you want to join, either with 88 or KQ. Raise preflop calmly and if the flop is not favorable fold.​

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 88 is easier to play than KQo when we have a good stack. KQo has a bit of reversed implied odds. But KQ is a good hand to play at late stage tournament.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 8s or any pocket pair is a good hand to have preflop but any of em can get you in trouble. Yea if you can get away calling cheap and hit yr good,but if its costly its not worth it. Think about it this way, pocket Qs is good calling big money bets but if a Ace is on the river and they all in,they don't usually all in with intentions of losing. Good luck.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The KQ always win

Hi.
"Always Wins" is not about poker. There is no such thing in poker. If you really believe that KQ always wins, then you have a significant advantage over those who do not know. Then you just need fold 88.