This is my own theory

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my own theory and does not reflect the opinions of anyone. What I have here is a sample of 120,000 hands and the statistics associated with.

The following big hands got to showdown and won:
Sets 320
Straights 182
Flushes 180
Full Houses 270
Quads 50
Pocket Kings 91
Pocket Aces 109
Totals big hands winning at the showdown 1,202
Hands played = 120,000
Hands/hour = 34 (live play)
Hours = 3,530 (two years at the live tables)
Big Win /100 hands = 1.1
Big Win /3.5hrs = 1.1

So, as you can see, there's on average one big hand per 3.5 hours when you have a Set or better and it got to the showdown in an obvious big pot. Hopefully for stacks. If you play for living full time, you can expect to play for stacks twice in 8 hours and have at least a Set or better. Just give me time and I break anyone.
===========================

In live, low-limit games, you win money by doubling up or busting people with your big hands that stay strong all the way to the showdown. Anything else makes you fall victim to the rake. You have a chance to play a big pot approx two times per hour. You flop a set, have the NFD plus pair, draw to your OESD plus two overs, ...etc. Most of these times a big pot does not pan out. It takes two hands at least to make a big pot. Or you just miss to your big draw.

Approx once every three hours or 1/100_hands, you play a big pot with your big hand and win at the showdown. Now, when you go card dead, when the draws go in the muck, AK misses 2 out of 3 times--when poker happens, your stack and profits slowly melts away until you hit your average hourly rate of about 10-12 big blinds per hour. On average, of course ..., You can play TAG and this is the usual result. You can play LAG and increase the chances, but your swings will be a lot bigger and, I believe based upon a lot of observation, the results will be fairly close to the same. LAGs who are great hand readers with clairvoyant powers of supernatural ability to perceive events in the future or beyond normal, ... ha ha ha ha! ...., can manage to avoid falling in deep holes, but their SD is correspondingly much higher.

That's the theory. Have it :)

Last edited:
xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good theory but every 3 hours a good well good you did your study about it but my perspective is a bit different:captain:

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is always interesting to analyze a sample of hands to look for some patterns but I think that everything is a matter of probability and it is not a rule, much less. If you are playing for 2 or 3 hours it is obvious that at some point you will flop a monster. However, this does not have to be so. It has happened to me, in less than an hour to win more than three buyins, or on the contrary to lose more than 3 buyins losing against the river card when my hand was the best. It is simply variance and it does not behave in one way or another, they are events independent of each other. Do not forget either that humans do not behave rationally all the time. If someone is on tilt or is not playing as he should, he can increase your winrate tremendously or even lower it if he is lucky and riverates often. So there is no pattern when there are humans involved since their actions are not predictable at the same time as the cards

R

Riomaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It'd be cool if you could gather the stats on additional players so you can strengthen or weaken your findings.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good theory until you wait three hours for a hand and you opponent flops a set over your set