Online vs Live play

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm having a hard time trying to fathom why there is such a difference for me..
when in live cash games.. I do pretty good, 8 out of 10 sessions are winning. However, when playing online.. its the complete opposite.. 8 of 10 are losing sessions..

..the only difference is that I'm not playing the same limit.. 1/3 or 5/10 live .. but when I play online.. I'll usually play the Micro tables.. .01/.02 or .2/.5 .. not that I'm really complaining since the live is higher stakes and a lot more $$. its just that I believe my play is about the same no matter where I'm at.. so ?? wtf :hmmmm2:

And it doesn't matter what platform.. stars, 888 Party... anyone else experiencing similar ?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when in live cash games.. I do pretty good, 8 out of 10 sessions are winning. However, when playing online.. its the complete opposite.. 8 of 10 are losing sessions..

..the only difference is that I'm not playing the same limit.. 1/3 or 5/10 live .. but when I play online.. I'll usually play the Micro tables.. .01/.02 or .2/.5 .. not that I'm really complaining since the live is higher stakes and a lot more $$. its just that I believe my play is about the same no matter where I'm at.. so ?? wtf :hmmmm2:

And it doesn't matter what platform.. stars, 888 Party... anyone else experiencing similar ?

Thank U 4 Posting.

The villain approach to the game is different online vs live.

If the villains are different, how we play them should be different.

You would be well served by evaluating the situation.

One area you might look at is run bad. Playing live you may realize it is not your day and go home after 3 hrs. Online that is only 90 hands that is a very short session. If you multi table it is a really short session.

As well if you are playing your B or C game online you will play many more hands at that skill level than you would do playing live.

Next you want to evaluate what mistakes online players make vs live players.

Online a .2 or .5 game you will get far fewer folds than in a tight 1/3 and especially 5/10 live game.

So picking up orphan pots in your live game may be common it is much less so online. You may also be playing the same villains live thus knowing their habits.

Hope this helps
:):)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank U 4 Posting.

The villain approach to the game is different online vs live.

If the villains are different, how we play them should be different.

You would be well served by evaluating the situation.

One area you might look at is run bad. Playing live you may realize it is not your day and go home after 3 hrs. Online that is only 90 hands that is a very short session. If you multi table it is a really short session.

As well if you are playing your B or C game online you will play many more hands at that skill level than you would do playing live.

Next you want to evaluate what mistakes online players make vs live players.

Online a .2 or .5 game you will get far fewer folds than in a tight 1/3 and especially 5/10 live game.

So picking up orphan pots in your live game may be common it is much less so online. You may also be playing the same villains live thus knowing their habits.

Hope this helps
:):)

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I know why because you and i are playing almost the same limit in live and online. I play 5/10 live and 2NL-5NL online.

2 reasons are;
1) we go on tilt very easily online.
2) with so much smaller stake, we tend to play more starting hands and drawing with slimmer odds.

Well, give it some time to adapt.
My advice for you is, Don't deposit big amount. Best is not to deposit at all. Play freeroll to build up your BR, feel the pain of not having any cash to play with. Learn it the hard way, then you'll be good.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those are very good points.. as much as I want to disagree with playing more starting hands and tilting more.. I'd say you hit the nail right on the head.. ;(

I would love to just play live.. but online is so much more convenient!! .. I guess its time to adapt and adjust accordingly..

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Time is the biggest difference. After playing live poker exclusively for several years, the transition to online poker has been very stark in terms of how many more hands can be played per minute. After playing online, I don't think I could go back to live poker. I just wouldn't have the patience for that anymore.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those are very good points.. as much as I want to disagree with playing more starting hands and tilting more.. I'd say you hit the nail right on the head.. ;(

I would love to just play live.. but online is so much more convenient!! .. I guess its time to adapt and adjust accordingly..

I would like to ask you a question in return, since we are kinda similar playing stake and bad habit..lol

Do you feel happy after a live game session, regardless if you win or lose.
Do you feel the same online?

For me, even if i lost a live session, i still feel good. Because i enjoyed the session.
But online, i feel really bad when i lost merely $1 and i don't feel the thrill at all even when i won a couple hundred.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
According to me there are many factors to online vs live.
I love playing live, but online is another level altogether.

Online you can't feel the people playing against you, the body language and trembling hands etc...

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i do feel just like you. when i play live i always do much better. in my opinion i fthink that is i can just see the players, maybe get a tell, or something they say. online its like playing against a machine.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to ask you a question in return, since we are kinda similar playing stake and bad habit..lol

Do you feel happy after a live game session, regardless if you win or lose.
Do you feel the same online?

For me, even if i lost a live session, i still feel good. Because i enjoyed the session.
But online, i feel really bad when i lost merely $1 and i don't feel the thrill at all even when i won a couple hundred.

Whenever I would bust or lose a session live.. there were times where I would get pretty mad (only once I got in my car.. I tend to show very little emotion when I play. Win or Lose) but I would have a hard time sleeping afterwards also lol..
but sadly, over the years I've become pretty numb.
to be honest.. I don't get that happy after a big win or that sad over loss as much anymore.
.. probably cause I'm so f'ing tired after cause I play way too late. and the same online really..
however, online.. I do notice that I tilt after getting sucked out at the river and play not as well .. perhaps its all the ppl seeing that on my stats..

... I really should get a hud..

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps playing online games you are more relaxed and frivolous?

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Whenever I would bust or lose a session live.. there were times where I would get pretty mad (only once I got in my car.. I tend to show very little emotion when I play. Win or Lose) but I would have a hard time sleeping afterwards also lol..
but sadly, over the years I've become pretty numb.
to be honest.. I don't get that happy after a big win or that sad over loss as much anymore.
.. probably cause I'm so f'ing tired after cause I play way too late. and the same online really..
however, online.. I do notice that I tilt after getting sucked out at the river and play not as well .. perhaps its all the ppl seeing that on my stats..

... I really should get a hud..

You should try what i'm going through now. No deposit!
I busted my account a couple weeks ago after i start learning how to play PLO. Since then i didn't deposit at all, just playing freeroll and focus on a Venom ticket at ACR.
Self enforced restriction, best to learn the hard way.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should try what i'm going through now. No deposit!
I busted my account a couple weeks ago after i start learning how to play PLO. Since then i didn't deposit at all, just playing freeroll and focus on a Venom ticket at ACR.
Self enforced restriction, best to learn the hard way.

Yes, its not a bad idea at all.. the only issue I have with that.. is that it seems the quality of most Freeroll players are like 80% Swamp Donkey's. They either shove or fold with any two cards and just get you tilted faster and it kinda ruins the game when the rest of them are just ppl who never deposited anything and don't know how to play at all.. very discouraging imo

*I try to limit my Freeroll play to avoid hating the game

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker is a game not only against opponents, but also against :hahaha:the poker program

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because live poker is much better then online. I understand, that in some countries it,s out of law, but if you can play live games for sure you need to play live.
In online poker you can play good, but soft can continue to killing you for weeks/months and you can,t earn anything because of that. I,m pretty sure, that in live poker you can win if you play good.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think one thing that I realized is that sometimes you can be playing against players that are using a HUD. This can influence their decisions to make plays that you might not agree in or even put you in tough situations based on stats that they can see. Another thing to keep in mind is that playing at micro-stakes it is easier for players to make calls/bets with out even realizing how much they are spending. I have sat a tables where someone is going all-in practically every hand that is dealt.

Geyomobama

Geyomobama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online and live for me are different sides of the same coin...live is heads and online is tails. Playing live use ur "head" and online use your "feet". Same body but different parts with different functions. Be less involved online as your are not using your head as much...coz u dont know who you're playing against...so relax

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play online. Unfortunately I do not have the ability to play live. But, in my opinion, playing live is more complicated. I think you can read your opponents well.

Organize a Home Poker Game