Online Poker Will Never Be Harder Than It Is Right Now

T

Tonawanda

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I apologize if I sounds like I am moaning. I am more or less trying to explain the situation and possibly at the same time try and create a more realistic enviornment to those who want to be a pro someday, rather than be like most other flamboyant professionals who seem to be trying to sell the dream of being a cash chucking multi millionaire baller, when that isn't super realistic for most people.

As far as taxes go, I have always paid them and even voted to have them raised for higher earners such as myself (voted for Obama)! I am not opposed to paying tax whatsoever. I give quite a bit to charities and consider myself someone who wants what is best for those less fortunate than myself. My daughter is named Lennon (after John lennon). I chose that name because John Lennon stood for so much that I believed in.

My main beef with taxes that I was trying to get across is two fold. One is how the money I am being forced into giving is being spent. When I voted for higher taxes, I was voting on the philosophical belief of "go ahead and raise my taxes if that means my brothers can have a better life." Instead what I am getting is higher taxes and I am not necessarily seeing how those less fortunate than myself are being helped. So now I feel we have the worst of all worlds.

Secondly, no matter who you are or how you earn your living, I think we can all agree that no one would be too thrilled over writing a check to the same people who are trying to stop what it is you love most. Would you want to pay half of your paycheck to the guy your girlfriend is cheating on you with so he can take her out on even more romantic dates? Would you like to pay half your paycheck to the burglar who is breaking into your home so that way he can buy even more efficient tools to break into your home with or a bigger gun to defend himself with?

Hopefully my point is becoming clear. It simply is crushing to give away nearly half your paycheck to an entity who is simultaneously trying to tear down what you have worked so hard to build. It is not like I just waltzed onto the felt and started raking in the dough. I worked harder to become a poker pro than I have worked on anything in my life. It has been something I have devoted nearly 6 years to and studied hard the entire time. I work hard for what I earn, even in it may be tough to explain that to others. So to give half of it away to the same people who are passing laws in an unethical fashion in the middle of the night to try and stop what it is I have worked so hard to achieve, I hope people can understand, is not something I think anyone is going to be too super thrilled about.

For the record, I am not complaining about paying tax, just complaining about paying so much of it, all things considering!

I commend you for your generosity and philosophical belief of "go ahead and raise my taxes if that means my brothers can have a better life.

As far as paying so much taxes, the following chart demonstrates just how much more you paid of your fair amount. I presume you are in the top 1% of taxpayers that funded 40 % of the Federal Income Tax Revenue.

Who Pays Income Taxes and how much? Tax Year 2007

Percentiles Ranked by AGI
AGI Threshold on Percentiles
Percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid
Top 1%​
$410,096​
40.42​
Top 5%​
$160,041​
60.63​
Top 10%​
$113,018​
71.22​
Top 25%​
$66,532​
86.59​
Top 50%​
$32,879​
97.11​
Bottom 50%​
<$32,879​
2.89​
Note: AGI is Adjusted Gross Income
Source: Internal Revenue Service​

Based on much of what you have said in this post, would it be fair to say you consider yourself to be a liberal leaning toward or having a Tea Party philosophy?