Online Poker Will Never Be Harder Than It Is Right Now

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Come and live in Berlin / germany.

Though everything is illegal in germany (online-poker, weed, various stuff) - in Berlin no one cares.

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting post, thanks.

Did you know that paying income tax is not an actual law? There are ways to get away with not paying the IRS money that they think should belong to them.

Schools are funded by local taxes, roads are funded by tax on gas, ect. So I wouldn't feel guilty refusing to pay.. Of course this was videos and documents I read in 2007, not sure if they actually made it a law by now..

YouTube- NO INCOME TAX LAW FORMER "IRS" AGENT JOE BANNISTER PART 1

"THE LAW THAT NEVER WAS"
http://www.thelawthatneverwas.com/new/home.asp

I know some other people already addressed this, but that video and website are a crock.

You can see why here: http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html#ratification

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, they are just one of MANY. Income tax still is not a law and never has been.

Paying income tax is definitely a law here in the USA. There are people who have tried to claim it isn't, many of them are in jail now. Best way to point out if it is a law is to try and not pay and see what happens :) Even if it isn't a law and I am wrong, I think we can all agree that you will end up in serious trouble if you don't pay. One way or another they will get ya.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Paying income tax is definitely a law here in the USA. There are people who have tried to claim it isn't, many of them are in jail now. Best way to point out if it is a law is to try and not pay and see what happens :) Even if it isn't a law and I am wrong, I think we can all agree that you will end up in serious trouble if you don't pay. One way or another they will get ya.

I know it would seem like a law, but it really isn't and I understand that you would get in serious trouble, but their are many documents, articles, videos, ect. that explain all of this. A newspaper put out a reward I believe it was around 50K or so stating that if you could find the law then the money is yours.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just yet another tax they want to impose. Illegal or not it's probably coming. Soon every time you fart in public they'll be taxing it. We need to clear out both the House and the Senate and start over with people who aren't on some giant payroll and tax the people to bail out corporations. If we don't then I've said it before- I'm for total anarchy.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just yet another tax they want to impose. Illegal or not it's probably coming. Soon every time you fart in public they'll be taxing it. We need to clear out both the House and the Senate and start over with people who aren't on some giant payroll and tax the people to bail out corporations. If we don't then I've said it before- I'm for total anarchy.

lmao!

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it would seem like a law, but it really isn't and I understand that you would get in serious trouble, but their are many documents, articles, videos, ect. that explain all of this. A newspaper put out a reward I believe it was around 50K or so stating that if you could find the law then the money is yours.

Look up the term "de facto"

Not al laws need to be formally written down to begin with.

You are working on the premise that all laws are "de jure", which in theroy they should but de facto plays an important role too.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Did you read the link I posted? Even a little? Aren't you even a tiny bit curious as to why you are wildly wrong?

“There is hereby imposed on the taxable income of every [married individual, surviving spouse, head of a household, unmarried individual, or married individual filing a separate return] a tax determined in accordance with the following table.. ..”

That's section one of the Internal Revenue Code, which is US Law.

No newspaper has ever offered such a reward. A few individuals, who are part of the completely nutjob tax protester movement, have offered such rewards. Courts have ruled that the people who cited the Internal Revenue Code to try to claim the reward are correct, but that the people offering such "rewards" have the right to revoke their offer at any time and to be the ultimate arbiter about whether the award is to be given out.

http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html#rewards

Look, I know that it's fun to think that you have some special knowledge that normal people don't have, but the tax protester movement is laughable. Every argument they make is easily debunked by someone with even a modicum of common sense and legal knowledge.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not al laws need to be formally written down to begin with.

Don't give him the satisfaction of thinking he is even right de facto. The law is written down. The Internal Revenue Code, which outlines the income tax and states it explicitly, is US Code Title 26. It was originally passed by Congress as House Resolution 8300, and was signed by President Eisenhower on August 16, 1954, at about 9:45 a.m., becoming Public Law 83-591, 68A Stat. 3. It has been amended by various public laws since then.

It is the explicit law of the land. A small group of people get their kicks by believing they have found a special set of knowledge that "proves" that for any one of a hundred reasons, the income tax is invalid or does not exist. People see poorly written, poorly thought-out, poorly reasoned videos and articles on the web and believe these to be gospel truth. Every single argument they make has been struck down by courts numerous times and can be explained as absurd by anyone with even a shred of sense and legal training.

Tax protesters are the rigtards of the tax and legal world.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep hearing about this site and that site being full of fish. I go there and I can't find them. I just don't understand it

L

luckytokenz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A very good article, and true one at that. Simply put, like dakota said, the legalization of online poker will surely bring more fish to the tables, but also, one of the reasons online poker is at it's hardest point is PIRACY! When I or someone else can go to a site, and download the latest cash game book, or tournament book, or for that matter, download the latest HUD-surely makes the game played on level footing. Now this is absolutely bad because just as with music piracy, a poker writer doesn't get supported, and if I'm not mistaken the object of writing a poker book, is to make more money selling the book, than you would have at poker. Well, this all seems kind of regressive to me. So just to add to what dakota said, I believe that it's going to come down to not only legalization of online poker, but control over information. Maybe then, the sea will fill up again.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hehe, I started online poker last year so I dont feel any difference. :)

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Come and live in Berlin / Germany.

Though everything is illegal in germany (online-poker, weed, various stuff) - in Berlin no one cares.

Yeah Germany is a great country. :D
What a pity I dont speak german...many hungarians migrate there especially to Munchen.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah Germany is a great country. :D
What a pity I dont speak german...many hungarians migrate there especially to Munchen.

You should be able to get along given the level of your english (it's good).

After all you managed to learn Hungarian (which is one of the most difficult languages imo) and English -

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

As Stu stated there does not need to be a statute. The people offering the reward either don't know how law works in this country, or, and I find this more likely, willfully ignore the way law works in this country.

An explanation of why "the internal revenue code is not law" is a fallacy can be found here: http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html#law

The U.S. is not a code law system. Many, if not most, of our laws are not codified. When they are they are usually just the legislatures attempt to enact statues that reflect common law already in place.

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tax protesters are the rigtards of the tax and legal world.

I posted before reading on again and didn't see that Kyle's post pretty much said everything that needed to be said. I especially agree with the part I've quoted. Both groups should stock up on tin foil hats.

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hhow can a person moan about online poker after making a million dllrs in a year playin online...sounds to me like u need a reallity check...millions ov poeple never see that in a lifetime from hard work manually.....but thats my opion ,,,,,

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hhow can a person moan about online poker after making a million dllrs in a year playin online...sounds to me like u need a reallity check...millions ov poeple never see that in a lifetime from hard work manually.....but thats my opion ,,,,,

Well to be fair how many people moan about their job? No matter how you feel about it there is room for a discussion here and in that way it was an itresting read, even LA admits some of his points are ironic etc. From what I have read with LAs history he has always put the work in to beat the game so I think he has a point or two to make.

Belgos point is intresting about mting on stars although if I could do that and make sne as a breakeven player at this point I would do so but that has more to do with my peronal situation. Pokers changing and in the last few years we have had the situation in America, Italy and now france annexing their players from the pool (in theory) and many more players willing to mass multi, bonus whore or play many many hours. As anything though the best will always be able to make money, just now maybe people will have to work harder.

Douggyfr3sh

Douggyfr3sh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting read. As a college student and aspiring player, I love to see stuff like this as it provides me with useful decision-making information. The decision being "what do I want to do with my life?" I love poker for lots of reasons- the current online poker climate NOT being one of them. Browsing this forum, I haven't seen anyone point out that poker sites HAVE INTERNATIONAL PLAYER POOLS. When playing online, you are playing with people from around the world. How significant would the difference be if US decided to make poker "officially legal" instead of just "kind of legal, kind of not?" And how long would it take, if ever, until the pro/reg, pro/fish, reg/fish ratios were at this point again?

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I apologize if I sounds like I am moaning. I am more or less trying to explain the situation and possibly at the same time try and create a more realistic enviornment to those who want to be a pro someday, rather than be like most other flamboyant professionals who seem to be trying to sell the dream of being a cash chucking multi millionaire baller, when that isn't super realistic for most people.

As far as taxes go, I have always paid them and even voted to have them raised for higher earners such as myself (voted for Obama)! I am not opposed to paying tax whatsoever. I give quite a bit to charities and consider myself someone who wants what is best for those less fortunate than myself. My daughter is named Lennon (after John lennon). I chose that name because John Lennon stood for so much that I believed in.

My main beef with taxes that I was trying to get across is two fold. One is how the money I am being forced into giving is being spent. When I voted for higher taxes, I was voting on the philosophical belief of "go ahead and raise my taxes if that means my brothers can have a better life." Instead what I am getting is higher taxes and I am not necessarily seeing how those less fortunate than myself are being helped. So now I feel we have the worst of all worlds.

Secondly, no matter who you are or how you earn your living, I think we can all agree that no one would be too thrilled over writing a check to the same people who are trying to stop what it is you love most. Would you want to pay half of your paycheck to the guy your girlfriend is cheating on you with so he can take her out on even more romantic dates? Would you like to pay half your paycheck to the burglar who is breaking into your home so that way he can buy even more efficient tools to break into your home with or a bigger gun to defend himself with?

Hopefully my point is becoming clear. It simply is crushing to give away nearly half your paycheck to an entity who is simultaneously trying to tear down what you have worked so hard to build. It is not like I just waltzed onto the felt and started raking in the dough. I worked harder to become a poker pro than I have worked on anything in my life. It has been something I have devoted nearly 6 years to and studied hard the entire time. I work hard for what I earn, even in it may be tough to explain that to others. So to give half of it away to the same people who are passing laws in an unethical fashion in the middle of the night to try and stop what it is I have worked so hard to achieve, I hope people can understand, is not something I think anyone is going to be too super thrilled about.

For the record, I am not complaining about paying tax, just complaining about paying so much of it, all things considering!

Last edited:
LombardiStix

LombardiStix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I apologize if I sounds like I am moaning. I am more or less trying to explain the situation and possibly at the same time try and create a more realistic enviornment to those who want to be a pro someday, rather than be like most other flamboyant professionals who seem to be trying to sell the dream of being a cash chucking multi millionaire baller, when that isn't super realistic for most people.

As far as taxes go, I have always paid them and even voted to have them raised for higher earners such as myself (voted for Obama)! I am not opposed to paying tax whatsoever. I give quite a bit to charities and consider myself someone who wants what is best for those less fortunate than myself. My daughter is named Lennon (after John lennon). I chose that name because John Lennon stood for so much that I believed in.

My main beef with taxes that I was trying to get across is two fold. One is how the money I am being forced into giving is being spent. When I voted for higher taxes, I was voting on the philosophical belief of "go ahead and raise my taxes if that means my brothers can have a better life." Instead what I am getting is higher taxes and I am not necessarily seeing how those less fortunate than myself are being helped. So now I feel we have the worst of all worlds.

Secondly, no matter who you are or how you earn your living, I think we can all agree that no one would be too thrilled over writing a check to the same people who are trying to stop what it is you love most. Would you want to pay half of your paycheck to the guy your girlfriend is cheating on you with so he can take her out on even more romantic dates? Would you like to pay half your paycheck to the burglar who is breaking into your home so that way he can buy even more efficient tools to break into your home with or a bigger gun to defend himself with?

Hopefully my point is becoming clear. It simply is crushing to give away nearly half your paycheck to an entity who is simultaneously trying to tear down what you have worked so hard to build. It is not like I just waltzed onto the felt and started raking in the dough. I worked harder to become a poker pro than I have worked on anything in my life. It has been something I have devoted nearly 6 years to and studied hard the entire time. I work hard for what I earn, even in it may be tough to explain that to others. So to give half of it away to the same people who are passing laws in an unethical fashion in the middle of the night to try and stop what it is I have worked so hard to achieve, I hope people can understand, is not something I think anyone is going to be too super thrilled about.

For the record, I am not complaining about paying tax, just complaining about paying so much of it, all things considering!

I see what you're sayin. Not only do our taxes go into the bonuses of people who don't deserve it, these guys are the ones who already cheating the tax system themselves. Then we also have 23 cents of every income tax dollar last year going to our military... a force of destruction while 2cents of every dollar was spent on education.

The ability to moan and speak out is one of the most central of the U.S.'s values. Our very government is built around the idea that when the law is no longer working and in line with the people and the values of our country we have the right to change it. The problem is the is a cultural perception which is that we have no power as citizens to change that which we are unhappy with. I love to see people pulling together outside of our two-party monopoly(tea-party)... even if I don't agree with everything that they do/say.

I digress.

You being a public figure... have been given a bigger voice than the everyday person. Good luck when using it :D

Stix:beer:

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is also a matter of perspective. Say level 1 is the lowest stakes and each progressive level is a higher stake. A player who is beating level 5, but only breaks even at level 6 is going to be a shark to the player who can beat level 4 but only breaks even at level 5. However that same player will be a fish to the player who is beating level 8. There are always going to be different levels of skill.