Online poker and observations on my play

medeiros13

medeiros13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So after a long break I've decided to start playing online poker again. I consider myself a decent tag player. I play nlhe and Omaha cash games right now. Previously, I was a sng player who struggled at cash games.

Of course, I've done some additional learning by reading posts here, talking poker with friends, and watching YouTube videos. What I found out was I wasn't nearly as aggressive as I thought I was. I watched people make bets that I thought were insane and people were calling. I've always been very mindful of pot odds and making bets that weren't odds correct for the opponent to call.....but they amazingly kept calling. The truth is, I have given too many plates too much credit for knowing the game. I'm now very tight with what hands I play and I've become much more aggressive with my bets and my profits have been very good. It does get frustrating to watch maniacs who BEG you to take their stack but you can't get a good hand and or flop to do it for awhile. But that's when the old saying don't tap the glass comes into play. Inevitably, the opportunity presents itself and thus far I've been able to capitalize.

The final thing I've noticed is my attitude. I see a lot of posts about tilt control. I had those issues many years ago. I've found that your tilt issues have a lot to do with what is happening in your personal life. When I was tilting, I saw poker as a way out of a tough financial situation. So anytime I took a bad best, someone was "stealing" money that could help me dig out of my financial situation. These days, I know that poker is t likely to give me millions of dollars. I'm content with using it as a hobby and temporary distraction to my life. With that change in perspective, I've yet to tilt.

S

seghill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Quite right - tight often works online as many players are there just to play and if they lose (or when) they just start again.
Playing for fun players soon show up by playing too many hands even when they get an early good result or two - as usual the note system helps in identifying them for future games.