makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
There are a few threads in the past and now about the relation between Olympics and poker. The translation for Olympics from the Greek is not accurate. There are no Olympic "games". Game is a sirious event but it is something different, it is something simpler. The direct translation from Greek is Olympic races (Greek: olympiaki agones-Ολυμπιακοί αγώνες). It is a personal fight. You have to prove your skills alone, which adds the element of honor. It shows and proves the value of human kind. It is the real spirit of Olympics. So poker it is a personal fight, but there are and the factor of luck and the money too. You cannot put luck or money as a basic factor, when it is about proving your skills and your honor! That is why poker is a game and cannot be in the Olympics. Normally all the games like card games, or like football, basketball, volleyball they are exciting games but they are just games and should take place separate from Olympics! They are away from the real spirit of the Olympics. Of course the today Olympics are not exactly Olympics with the " addition" of games and worst the addition of money interests! What are your thoughts?

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In my opinion poker is not a sport. I am convinced that this is the most popular gambling game. In my opinion, it is unlikely that poker will be recognized as an Olympic sport.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker is not and will never be in an Olympics because it is not a sport but a game that depends more on luck than on skill.

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is not a sport, so how could you think it would qualify as an Olympic event? There is nothing physically enduring about sitting down to play poker.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't feel it should be an Olympic event. Plenty of information from live MTT events to show what countries have finished.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well there is a lot of endurance needed to concentrate for days playing poker. Though I believe it to be a game not sport although cash game can qualify but not tournaments ever.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think poker is a sport. Maybe, it sounds pretty optimistic but I am convinced that in the near future poker will become an Olympic sport.

J

Jam_V92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker not is a sport, although we see it on channels like ESPN that does not make it a sport

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that poker someday become an Olympic discipline. But it will not soon. First on stage it seems to me to be e-sports, which is already an official sport. And over time, reach and poker. But I think that we can hardly wait.

D

Dontworry44

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont know

is it a sport at the eyes of someone?

D

Dontworry44

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
heart attack

we can talk about sport when players have heart issues

cleder7

cleder7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker is difficult to be considered a sport included in the Olympics, there are many other modalities that are more likely to qualify, being much more sport than poker, unfortunately ...

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
No doubt, poker has elements of a sports game, but nevertheless, I believe that poker is just a gamble as blackjack.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it could be a platform where chess, board games, poker and other intellectual games can be in a world wide competition. I would take the e-sport here as well.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no matter how much it would be desirable, but this is a game with an element of luck. Yes, the skill factor plays a very important role. This is especially evident in the head up game formats, but because of the element of luck, poker cannot be a sport like chess

bmess92

bmess92

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the long term it's all about skill in poker. If you properly manage your bankroll, have control over your emotions, and you are a decent poker player, in the long term you are a winner. Just like any sport. You see Man City losing a game against a weaker team, but that's one out of ten matches against that team. It's all about thinking in the long term. I hope that someday poker will become an Olympic sport, even though most of your opinions are against it.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I try to play to the limit that I can. In fact, I don't care if poker at the Olympics or not. The main thing for me is to fight with myself, improve my game with every tournament, learn every day. The main thing is not even the enemy, the main thing is to become the best. Therefore, I love and play mainly in tournaments, and not the desire to win money.
But money does not take the last place, since money in our world is a measure of your success.

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi hi
i agree poker not a sport
same as say bridge or chess or crazy 8s

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a frivolous game of cards that belongs to the catacombs of human activities. The only benefit of playing poker is pleasure, there is absolutely no benefit to the human body.

Sitting in a chair for prolonged periods of time in an environment conducive to tobacco and alcohol use is not exactly what the Greeks had in mind when they came up with the Olympic "Races" :)

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

I don't think that poker can ever be an Olympic sport. Anything with an inherent element of chance should be disqualified IMO. Chess is much closer but I don't agree with chess being in the Olympics either.

Events like the wsop and the FIDE word cup allow the top players to earn recognition. Unlike in chess, you get players like Darvin Moon and Jamie Gold sweeping the WSOP. That simply doesn't happen in chess. But with poker there is still enough strategy that we see Ivey, Negraneu, Hellmuth have multiple bracelets whereas Gold has just the one.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]I don't think poker is a game to put in the Olympics because not only is skill limited but also luck and in the Olympics is not a place for game of fortune but skill and extravagance and strength.[/COLOR]​

mondo3

mondo3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if there is no luck involved in the game (like chess), I wouldn’t want it as an Olympic event. I think all Olympic events should require some type of physical skill