the ol' slow roll

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't get it. i understand some people use it to try and get players to tilt. but to me it shows a lack of class and the true character of the player doing it. your opinions?

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that it’s just that each person adjusts the game for himself (which style brings him the most profit, well, or pleasure)

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't get it. i understand some people use it to try and get players to tilt. but to me it shows a lack of class and the true character of the player doing it. your opinions?

Thank you for your post. Mr. Alabama I agree if someone has the absolute nuts then slow rolling is ridiculous. Most players understand the respect factor in the game. Some people are pathetic and need to act inappropriately to gain a certain amount of self worth or satisfaction. Keep on keeping on and stack villian the next time you get the nuts;).

Good Luck To All:cool:

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah when you're holding the nuts and going into the clock to call an all in on the river....no class

boo_maju

boo_maju

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that each one of your strategies for stealing chips is the right way or the long term, but it deceives or villain in any way.
Lack of character is to press the bubble! Hehehehe (kidding).

Dutydog

Dutydog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think slow rolling is perfectly legitimate and an integral part of tactical play, in what after all is a game of deception.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I think everyone can play as they see fit. There are different situations, different players. But, in any case, a player who wants to succeed must learn from his mistakes effectively.
Good luck.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
While I agree that having the absolute nuts and slow rolling isn't the best and most respectful move to do, I'll play devil's advocate and mention that the only way this would be "ok" is when you play online poker and you may be playing multiple tables at once and your attention's divided so you can't call immediately because of a decision being made on the other tables.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play online so slow rolls don't really happen. Once in a while a player holding AA takes a long time to call my all in before the flop, but that's hardly a slow roll per se, and it doesn't bother me at all.

R

rasam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i think its different in every level , yes its lack of character in high stakes but for low stakes and online poker , i think its not a bad strategy for tilting your opponents :)

M

Mateo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In live play, for sure slow rolls are bad class. Online though, it's often hard to tell if it is a slow roll! Who knows, the person could have patchy internet, making dinner, or talking to a friend. There's no way to know if they are genuinely slow rolling or just busy...

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

slowroll is certainly an unpleasant thing, and I condemn those who do it, of course there are players who do not even know what slowroll is or know, but do it because of a poor understanding of the game and a b c poker

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I absolutely despise slow rolling. Not to be confused with slow playing though, which is playing a strong hand, like it is a weak hand, which can be a great strategy.

swimbles

swimbles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find the act of slow rolling to be sanctimonious and inherently condescending, though I may be reading into it too much.

I do that a lot.

I'm a weirdo.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I absolutely despise slow rolling. Not to be confused with slow playing though, which is playing a strong hand, like it is a weak hand, which can be a great strategy.

yeah, i think some folks get that confused.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

This actually just happened to me. So I wanted to see what the consensus is. I also feel that it’s very disrespectful and shows no class. It’s the first level of the tournament I have a Q hi flush, opponent bets the river I shoved, he tanked for almost all of his time bank before calling with an ace high flush. I simply LoL to myself and typed “classy”. Ofc no reply because the player is obv never going to justify it. I truly hope that minute sitting there watching the seconds tick away made your life improve. What is the point? Do you feel better about yourself?

To me I now look at this player as very immature , classless, and disrespectful. Time to grow up. I could see if there was a back and forth between 2 players or the one that got slowed is a jerk and being a table nuisance than a few extra seconds to be stew. Not in level 1... But a full time bank isn’t ever needed or cool IMO. Even if I am not in the hand and sit there waiting a full time bank. After the fact I look at as wasting everyone’s time.

If you slow roll people consistently there is obv something wrong with your happiness. If that is what you need to do feel better about your misery. So be it. I feel more sad for you than me.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Some people have some kind of pleasure to brag about himself doing this kind of play.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think slow rolling is perfectly legitimate and an integral part of tactical play, in what after all is a game of deception.

I could be wrong, but I think maybe you have slow playing confused with slow rolling. Slow playing is a proper play.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Check and allow the opponent to collect the hand is normal, but I think it's stupid to think for a long time to pretend that you count the chances and then cautiously call someone else's all in when you have nuts.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
When someone has the certifiable nuts not so classy.

That said the whole poker etiquette routine makes me laugh a little as poker is all about deception and players such as Negreanu have their 'mis-clicked' routines down pat.

The thing which I object to is over egging the slow roll concept. I have watched so many clips where a commentator has called a slow roll which is nonsense. They can see the hole cards, know a player has a winning hand but it is not necessarily the absolute nuts, yet they call slow roll.

There was some controversy when John Cynn won the wsop as he took his time over playing a set of Kings (Tony Miles immediately said he had been slow rolled). It was nonsense because Cynn was simply gun shy- Miles had been bluffing him consistently in up to 150 million chip pots. Cynn was simply gathering himself.

Favorite slow roll - Shaun Deeb with quads against Mike Matusow...when of course the ever-needling Matusow took hystrionic offense.

E

essimicke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should only do it to your friends

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't do it but it is not illegal so it is up to every player to decide for himself.

Serjo600

Serjo600

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In freerolls of FRC often use a float, I mark these players as morons, but usually these players if nothing is caught fall off after the second barrel on the turn