Ok. I admit it. I need help. Who can help me?

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably after 2.5 years if i can't make it on my own, I need your help!

Is anyone in a position to offer some training in NLHE? Ring, SnG & MTT.

I am aspiring to become good but really struggling. I dont want to play $25/$50 every day, just be succeed at my levels at my pace. My heart is there but my skill needs serious help. I've implemented what i believe are the correct bankroll management rules, but i need some really help improving my game.

Is anyone able/willing to help, private messages are preferred.

I do believe and know i will make it, it will just take longer than i expected,
and im a firm believer in learning from people that are better than you.

Thank you for your time reading and i look forward to any advice i receive from you.

Regards
Nick :)

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start posting trouble hands in the hand analysis forums, read up on the golden archives and the articles sections, and just start posting more in the forums.

I've considered coaching micro limit players in the past and may do so in the future, so if you're desperate enough to pay for that then drop me a PM or something.

heatfan03

heatfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah What Chuck Said. And Maybe invest in a pokertracker program to allow you to find your flaws. The pokertracker3 beta is up right now so you can play unlimited hands with that program and get some data. PokerTracker - Online Poker Tracking & Analysis Software Tool

Good Luck.

P.S. Chuck you changed your Avatar WTF you have had the last one since I have been here I feel like !!

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
P.S. Chuck you changed your Avatar WTF you have had the last one since I have been here I feel like !!

When I first looked at the new one, it looked like a big pile of turds...

Seriously though to the OP, this is such a great place to learn how to be a better poker player. I suggest, along with what Chuck said, (and if your bankroll can afford it) playing in a few of our buy in events. I have learned so much just from playing with some of our members and seeing how they handle certain situations.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those are amazingly useful, my game has improved immediately and I'm only about halfway through the first video, thanks again AG :)

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dang 2.5 years.

It's only been 6 months since I started and I'm improving every day..... honestly if I had been playing for 2.5 years and still wasnt a successful player errrrr, i would stop playing very very fast.

But what have you been doing this whole time? What limits are you currently playing....?

Read some poker books, or read articles on this forum, or search the internet for poker knowledge to help your game improve.

Have you only started to take it seriously now? I could see just starting off and requiring coaching but....I dunno it just seems weird with that much experience you would need that level of help IMO

Last edited:
NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
honestly if I had been playing for 2.5 years and still wasnt a successful player errrrr, i would stop playing very very fast.
A lot of people have been playing all their life and still aren't successful players - it's a game, and some people play it for fun - but what you choose to do is obviously up to you :)

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dang 2.5 years.

It's only been 6 months since I started and I'm improving every day..... honestly if I had been playing for 2.5 years and still wasnt a successful player errrrr, i would stop playing very very fast.

But what have you been doing this whole time? What limits are you currently playing....?

Read some poker books, or read articles on this forum, or search the internet for poker knowledge to help your game improve.

Have you only started to take it seriously now? I could see just starting off and requiring coaching but....I dunno it just seems weird with that much experience you would need that level of help IMO

I've been playing for about 3 and a half years now and only just started really winning at the beginning of the summer. I made good money playing live because although I wasn't that great, I had the basic strategy down and that was more than anyone at my home game had. So I made the mistake of thinking I was a good player, assumed I just kept getting unlucky when I tried to deposit $50 and sit with it all at 50nl and always lost it (once in a while I'd break $100, but that was like once). Until one day by some miracle I found this site and my game has been improving ever since. Although I've still got a long way to go before I will consider myself a great poker player, I am definitely good enough to win at the 25nl level and below, and we'll see about the 50nl when/if I get there :). You don't get better on your own just playing if you don't understand why you're losing.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a good thing that after two and a half years you are brave enough to admit that it isn't working, and you need help - it's certainly not something to criticise someone for... :) a lot of second-class players would blame everyone but themselves...

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of people have been playing all their life and still aren't successful players - it's a game, and some people play it for fun - but what you choose to do is obviously up to you :)

So someone willing to spend money on coaching is playing just for....fun..?

Sorry makes zerrroooooo sense to me.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for about 3 and a half years now and only just started really winning at the beginning of the summer. I made good money playing live because although I wasn't that great, I had the basic strategy down and that was more than anyone at my home game had. So I made the mistake of thinking I was a good player, assumed I just kept getting unlucky when I tried to deposit $50 and sit with it all at 50nl and always lost it (once in a while I'd break $100, but that was like once). Until one day by some miracle I found this site and my game has been improving ever since. Although I've still got a long way to go before I will consider myself a great poker player, I am definitely good enough to win at the 25nl level and below, and we'll see about the 50nl when/if I get there :). You don't get better on your own just playing if you don't understand why you're losing.

Hmmmm, I guess i am just fortunate that I was able to find this website and im a quick learner.

Im all for this guy learning to play and become a successful player it just seemed weird to me, id ask/look for help after 6 months, a year, year and a half maybe? 2 and a half years?

Well whatever

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So someone willing to spend money on coaching is playing just for....fun..?

Sorry makes zerrroooooo sense to me.

I dunno; isn't this what recreational golfer do? They enjoy the game, and are willing to pay to play a little better so they can enjoy it more.

That being said, there's a heck of a lot to be learned by participating in this forum though. But if ya want a coach, I, and a bunch of others on the forum, would say your money wouldn't be wasted getting Chuck to help out.

riffpoker

riffpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try picking up a copy of Collin Moshman's Sit and Go Strategy on Ebay or Amazon. It will definitely help and couldn't hurt, it's a 2 + 2 publication and I think one of the only books actually dedicated to the SNG. I read it last year and it helped my game somewhat. Good Luck.

Peace

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just wanted to thank everyone here for their advice & support. I do plan on spending a lot of time on this site as you've all advised.

I think the problem is i only learnt and implemented bankroll management a few months ago. I used to buy in with my bankroll in 1 game.

I also used to play poker to become a millionaire by tomorrow, obviously cant happen.

I need to focus more on slow growth which leads to my next question.

I currently have a bankroll of $75. I buy into a .01/.02 for $3 at the moment. If i play for 1 hour what can be considered as success.
a: not being under $3
b: leaving with a few cents profit
c: doubling up

Just so i have a rough idea of what to strive for with my current status.

Thank you all again

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I currently have a bankroll of $75. I buy into a .01/.02 for $3 at the moment. If i play for 1 hour what can be considered as success.
a: not being under $3
b: leaving with a few cents profit
c: doubling up
[x] d. None of the above!

Seriously, it's too short sighted to look at one hour sessions. You need to look at poker is one long session. Finishing up or down for any one one-hour or five-hour session isn't the ultimate goal. Sure, it would be nice to finish positive every time, but it won't happen. Even the best will lose in some sessions. Whether it was a bad decision in a hand or variance/bad beat coming to get you, you'll lose as well. But losing doesn't make it a bad session necessarily. Focus on the long term results.

Just so i have a rough idea of what to strive for with my current status.
I think what you really need to strive for is finishing up a session of whatever length and feeling like you really played well or being happy with your play. That you were happy with most of your decisions and that you understand why some of your difficult or less favorable decisions were what they were. And that you take that back, study it, and post hands here to get input on how it could have been played better or different. And if bad beats got ya, well move on and keep doing the right thing. If you're truly becoming a better player, then over time the luck factor will even out more and more and the skills you've built over that time will show you a profit.