dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oct Goal.

Build PS br above $100 (currently at 78 after a big weekend)

Find it in me to somehow write an article admitting that perhaps there is a significant difference between even great freeroll play, and cash game play. This will be really difficult for me, a self admitted freerollwhore.

KingNothing4

KingNothing4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my october goal was just to make money from nothing and so far i've placed in 2 freeroll (low money though), but I am still building, think i will have to make a good run at the end of october to get decent amount

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
making progress on goals

1.) Practice walking away from ring games, when the blinds reach me and I have doubled up. eh, hem...K, gotta not bust out first...

2.) Have fun playing poker. (I take it a bit too seriously) at least sometimes, at least on-line, sheeeeeeeeees, this is going to be an interesting goal to work on. Doing a little better with this. Read an old news post that resulted from searching for the words lighten up. I really need to work on lightening up.

3.) Practice putting people on hands. This is hard to quantify. Will prolly work this weekend on it in the free tables. In order to actually count how consistantly I put someone on a hand, it's going to have to go to show down whether or not I've got the winnning hand.

4.) Don't quit my day job Havn't yet.

5.) Study poker, offline, for an hour a day. I am finding alot of good stuff on line and it is easier to find topics that are relavant to my current game than wadeing through a text. So this goal has only been met 20%. But I am reading more than an hour a day on line, so overall, feel good with the progress...

How are you doing with your goals for this month?
Cheers

rainsoaked

rainsoaked

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
October goal: Only play freerolls while my game is in awkward transition. Maybe dollar tourneys. Watch more tv (regular, not poker).

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1.) Practice walking away from ring games, when the blinds reach me and I have doubled up.

Well I played in a "play money" on line ring game and forgot about this goal, but remembered it after I had quadrupled up. Took two orbits to leave at the proper time. It's hard to leave when you are winning, but I know that ultimately this will be a key to long term bankroll management for me.

2.) Have fun playing poker. (I take it a bit too seriously) at least sometimes, at least on-line, sheeeeeeeeees, this is going to be an interesting goal to work on.

Have been working on it, but like the above goal, remembered a little too late after snapping at someone who sat down at our table, who thought we were done with our SNG, and starting asking me to move things. I was in the top three and really wanted to take first.

I realized that I was being far too serious and apologized to the guy. After he left, I said out loud, I need to lighten up and proceeded to practice chatting with the remaining players. Also chatted with a few between games. So progress has been made.

[SIZE=+0]3.) Practice putting people on hands. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]ummm, I'm not too good at this yet and paid/accepted the consequences of my actions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]4.) Don't quit my day job. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]Haven't yet, but am putting out the word that I will be making a transition in February, assuming I avoid a major tilt episode with my boss. Ah, practice for not tilting at the tables.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]5.) Study poker, offline, for an hour a day. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Most of what I need to study is too difficult with my level of burnout from the day job, so I am happy that while I have not done well with the specifics of this goal, namely studying offline, I have been studying for two hours a day.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+0]6.) Perfect the 6 chip shuffle. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]100% Couldn't shuffle a single chip at the beginning of the month and am know quite comfortable with 8 chips.[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice walking away from ring games, when the blinds reach me and I have doubled up.
Only played one ring game this week. Five hours, more than doubled up and completely forgot about my goal until I was below my buy in, managed to get it back but played until the game broke. 0% on this goal

Have fun playing poker. (I take it a bit too seriously) at least sometimes, at least on-line, sheeeeeeeeees, this is going to be an interesting goal to work on.
Not having much fun playing. Too busy forming new neural pathways trying to improve my game. I’m a bit pissed off at myself. When I came here, I thought I was a good player but in terms of poker education, I’d say I just a freshman. I am having more fun between games though, so that counts of something.

Practice putting people on hands.
I have done some work on this, studying people. Live play I am getting much better at picking up tells, but I can only put a couple of people on hands. I played against 12 people over the course of 5 hours, of the 12 I only had good reads on 2 of them so that is about 16%

Don't quit my day job.
Haven’t yet. Tomorrow is not going to be a fun day. Shit is going to hit the fan, because of something that I had to do to protect one of my assistants.

Study poker, offline, for an hour a day.
I think I have studied too much, and have not given myself enough time to apply what I have learned. So for the remainder of the month I have no study goal.

Perfect the 6 chip shuffle
Yeah! I surpassed one goal for the month.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My goals for October:

Win a satellite ticket to a higher level game. (It helps to post some goals a week into the month.:D :D ) OK, did this one four times. :D :D :D :D

Never, ever, EVER go out sixth in a "five seats get ticket" satellite because I was just trying to add a little more pad to an adequate lead. (Actually hurts to post some goals a week into the month. :eek: :( :( )
Did this one more time, then see above.

Examine more HH to plug leaks in my game. Doing this more.

Re-read the books I already have and am not following. :rolleyes: Also doing this more.

Remember that in CC buy-games somebody is going to suck out on me every time and put me out first. :mad: Well, finishing first in the Limited to Mondays blew this goal out of the water, but, Hey.:eek:

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Read PNL In process
2. Read NLTAP In process
3. Set up an account on Party Done
4. FT an MTT on Party Done 4 times over
5. Win a CC event Done
6. Win $1k live Not done

<3

Next month will be bigger/better hopefully.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Next month will be bigger/better hopefully.

Gl with it Vanq.

Personally I don't need to set any goals for November, because there is no way it can get any worse than how October has been, easily the most horrible poker month I've ever had in my career :) . Funny that it happened now that I've reached exactly 1 year that I play holdem. It's either I'm getting worse or I never was any good. I vote for the latter :) .

I really am tempted to change my signature in " my opponents make money against me when they make mistakes." Throughout the month I can't count how many times I put my money in good (many as a 90% favored) and lost my stack on the river to 2,3,4 and 5 outers. This is not meant to be an "online is rigged" post, but for sure the amount of times it happened is statistically improbable. It must mean that in the future I'll win more than I should in those situations and somehow, once the sample size gets bigger, it will even out (hopefully at least). So, being that this is due to negative variance only, I'm starting to reach the conclusion that my game is not good enough to overcome it. I'm serious on that. If I'm going to run this bad there is no way I'll win, or even break even.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just a little frustrated. I know bad beats are part of the game and they happen to everyone. With the tight and careful style that I play unfortunately I don't give out many of them, but most of all this month made me realize that I don't have what it takes to survive when you run as bad as I am. I envy the online pros because I know, and I'm sure, they have runs just as bad as mine but they manage to still win somehow.

Not all hopes are gone, there still are 10 days left for this month :) .

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice walking away from ring games, when the blinds reach me and I have doubled up.
I sucked this week in live play. I am still playing for points in a league. My heart wasn’t really into playing. The game was full of sharks, and it was too tough for me. I decided to go all in on a nut flush draw after about two hours to a guy I knew called with ace rag. I knew that the new fish that sat down at the table would quickly lose his chips to the guys who are playing for the weekly prize. Me, I’m there so I can kick ass when I go live in February.

Have fun playing poker. (I take it a bit too seriously) at least sometimes, at least on-line, sheeeeeeeeees, this is going to be an interesting goal to work on.
umm, this really isn’t working out so well for me this month.

Practice putting people on hands.
Getting better at spotting the fish, and dodging the donkeys.

Don't quit my day job.
Haven’t yet.

Study poker, offline, for an hour a day.
Despite my ban on studying last week, I couldn’t resist buying HoH. I had to figure out what you all were talking about. Got about as far as bending it open and covering it. (love 2+2 books, but their book bindings are not that great) I took a small diversion into an IT and philosophy sites and read up on singularities and luddites, passed future shock and i am beginning to integrate what I have learned. Monday, is a web security class.

Perfect the 6 chip shuffle
Doing ten almost without a hitch. I still grab four at a time sometimes….

This is the last weekend of October, so I will start drafting my November goals keeping in mind that for monthly goals, the best goals concise and quantifiable.

Hard2Handle

Hard2Handle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess mine would be back off from poker a little.(Just the playing online part) Not putting in as many hours as I have been. Spend the month to gather myself then come back hard next month.

Focus more on discussing strategies and situations.

When I do play stick to strict BR management.

GL to all.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker goals are simple:

1. Play more poker
2. recoup my September losses( down about 150 last month.)

well, with a couple days left to go, I accomplished my main goal (2), and am gonna wind up the month ahead about another 350 besides:cool: . My cash game sessions have been profitable, overall, I had sone very decent MTT cashes, all in all a good month.

I'm also well on the way to converting my poker library over to pdf files, so that I can read off my monitor screen.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
-Flop a set at some point
-Show profit again (Don't think I did)
-Win another freeroll (Didn't even try)
-POST MORE DAMNIT (Damn school)
-Play in CC buy in events (FB games end this week, so I can start next friday :)) (Played in 3, bubbled ALL 3. wtf)
-Finish HoH series. (lol)

Didn't think so :(

Semicolonkid

Semicolonkid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Build my bankroll as best as I can with freerolls.
follow Chris Ferguson's brm advice.

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my goal is simple:
get online roll to 1000 on cake poker (currently at 742)
and my live roll at 18,000 right now to 19-20 (i'm not expecting its a goal)
and my grandma who is in the hospital and in the icu to get better

im gonna keep playin FRs...just a choice
get some BR in and manage it accordingly
i will and have been prayin for ur grandma:cool:

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guess I'll post mine to bump, since everyone still is posting in the sept. thread:

1. play more poker
2. read Angel Largay's book

1. Fail. Badly.
2. Fail, started it most likely wont finish in the next two days.

Starting to think I shouldn't post in these "goals" threads anymore... :(

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My goals for October: bit esoteric and difficult to measure this month, but let's see how they go...

- Less poker, more girlfriend time
- Try to condense all the stuff I've been learning lately down into some usable points, and incorporate those into my game
- Play the $175 buy-in event at the PokerNews Cup and walk away happy with my play
- Get my online bankroll started again
- Finish reading Caro and Greenstein, give Phil Gordon's Little Green Book a bash

- Check :)
- Check, I think... I'd been trying to cram a lot of stuff into my head during September, and was playing some very confused poker as a result. Think I've ironed that out a little now.
- Check. Finished about 180 / 550 (money started at 60) but I was happy with how I played.
- Check: got second place in an Australian-only freeroll and haven't lost all the proceeds since
- Knocked off Caro (though I think I'll need to re-read it at some point in the future) and started on the Little Green Book. Still two thirds of the way through Greenstein's book.