Now I wonder if Phil Helmuth would berate and hell at himself for playing this hand?

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
54. Phil Hellmuth calls from under the gun and Elio Cabrera limps from the small blind. Juha Helppi checks his option and the flop comes K
heart.gif
Q
diamond.gif
heart.gif
. Cabrera checks and Helppi bets $45,000. Hellmuth raises to $145,000 and Cabrera moves all in for $280,000 total. Helppi folds and Hellmuth makes the call. Cabrera turns over J
spade.gif
diamond.gif
for the nut straight. Hellmuth shows K
diamond.gif
diamond.gif
and is behind. However, the turn is the 2
diamond.gif
and the river is the 7
diamond.gif
. Hellmuth makes runner runner flush to eliminated Cabrera.

Now now Phil what kinda call was this?? K,3 from UTG? He was chip leader though.. but c'mon Phil if someone else made the call you did, you would be yelling up a storm.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil is a great NLHE player (i'm kinda suprised at that hand!) but he definitely has a case of "I'm right, you're wrong" disorder.
Had I been at that table and had to deal with his usual whining, I'd be right up in his face after that one...god he is such a doof sometimes...

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Eh. I wouldn't say "yelling". He'd be cryin' and looking for a hug. How big was Phil's chip stack before the hand. . ?

T

tranqxility

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well... what I see here is that he flopped top pair so he's at least decent, and he might be putting them on a flush draw or whatever and makes a big raise. A smaller stack pushes for $135,000 more with 470K + blinds in the pot... so, figuring he's good against a flush draw, decent against other hands, and being a big chipstack bully with the potential to knock out a player, he calls.

It looks completely donkish, I know, but it seems there's a method to his madness. His whining, on the other hand, that's a completely different story.

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been reading the wsop Updates from Dessertlady everyday since she started them.

During the WSOP Hellmuth has made countless calls that would/should be referred to as Donkísh on this forum.

The example on this thread is a good example, but by no means the worst of the hands/luck he enjoys.

He hates it when he is out-muscled by someone and berates them if they have the audacity to beat him.

However far worse than his moaning is his perpetual habit of being late at the start of the tourney. Bad manners in the extreme

:withstupi

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats to Phil and the win of his 10th bracelet. . . !

withawedge

withawedge

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats to wsorbust for spoiling my lunchtime read lol

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
twizzybop said:
54. Phil Hellmuth calls from under the gun and Elio Cabrera limps from the small blind. Juha Helppi checks his option and the flop comes K
heart.gif
Q
diamond.gif
heart.gif
. Cabrera checks and Helppi bets $45,000. Hellmuth raises to $145,000 and Cabrera moves all in for $280,000 total. Helppi folds and Hellmuth makes the call. Cabrera turns over J
spade.gif
diamond.gif
for the nut straight. Hellmuth shows K
diamond.gif
diamond.gif
and is behind. However, the turn is the 2
diamond.gif
and the river is the 7
diamond.gif
. Hellmuth makes runner runner flush to eliminated Cabrera.

Now now Phil what kinda call was this?? K,3 from UTG? He was chip leader though.. but c'mon Phil if someone else made the call you did, you would be yelling up a storm.

I thought he had K, 5?

I would like to see his reaction when hesaw he was way behind when his opponent showed he had a straight.:D

B

BuffClemins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil is a straight up crybaby. He makes as many stupid plays as the next guy, but he expects to win every hand. All phil is, is a straight up cry baby. WAAAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAA Phil.

LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually like Phil, he's probably the best NL tournament player like it or not. On the actual play doesn't really look too bad at all, not sure how many people were on this table if it was a full one yeah he probably should've folded it.

There wasn't a bad play here at all, mixing it up calling with suited weak highs, that straight was just tough luck and if the other guy had alot more chips Phil might've been able to get away from that. The play Phil gets mad at usually are when people call his raises (doesn't look like this pot was raised) with junk OOP (like last year in some event guy calls phil with a,4 when he has q,q and catches an ace) , I get angry at this kinda stuff too but I keep it to myself.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see #54 as such a horrible donk move either. It's a mistake, don't get me wrong, but he's not risking the whole tournament by any means on that hand, not to mention he was the chip leader. If he did lose the hand he would still be in fourth place out of the six remaining players with around 410k in chips, about three times as many chips as the two guys below him.

LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well since it was six handed there was absolutely nothing wrong with the play at all, I don't see the big deal here.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands