***Nocturnal November Chat Thread***

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think people in general vastly underestimate just how much of an edge they give up when they multitable heavily. And I think anyone who's capable of breaking even over 250k hands/month should be able to have win-rates of over 10bb/100 at the midstakes if they just put some of that grinding time into it.

Not sure the same kind of skills apply. Not sure the same people can do both and that it's just a matter of choice which way you go.

With those caveats, i do agree with you that winrate is a more pleasant way than volume to make money at this game.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but some people loveeeeeeeee to grind !, Jay also get on MSN soft lad!

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure the same kind of skills apply. Not sure the same people can do both and that it's just a matter of choice which way you go.

Yeah, this is so true. I appreciate what you say FP. But you, Belgo, Chuck have a better understanding of the game that I ever could. I have tried to study and I have tried applying those principles in the game, but it just hasn't worked out. I have to take the edge that I have, which in this instance is being able to play 24 tables for long periods, and hopefully breaking even, or even better, making some profit as well.

I still have some things that need to fall into place before I actually make this decision final, but upto know I'd say I'm more that 60% sure I'm gonna try it.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Plus them black stars don't half look sexy lol

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thought experiment time:

1. Take the 24 tables that Jagsti plays.
  2. Now take away the 12 toughest ones.
  3. What will that do for his win-rate (not winnings, just win-rate)?

That's without Jagsti changing anything in the way he plays. That's just him exercising the edge he has over weaker opposition, or at the very least in better relative position versus his weaker opponents. Whether or not his net hourly earnings will go up is debatable, but anyone who claims that his win-rate is unaffected by this does not understand where the money comes from in poker.

Secondly, even if Jagsti plays with a near-computer-like efficiency, don't tell me that among all these 24 tables he never once mis-reads a stack size. Or a stat in the HUD. Or doesn't notice that the fish left and a tough reg sat down and the HUD just hasn't updated yet. Or times out on a decision on some table. If he makes no mistakes at all like this playing 24 tables, he'd play 25 tables. I find it obvious that reducing the number of tables will reduce the frequency of these mistakes, thus increasing the win-rate. Without changing his game plan.

40% rakeback (I believe that's what SNE is worth?) at 1/2 comes out to about 2 big blinds/100 hands. The idea that better table selection and less frequent mistakes couldn't make up for 2bb/100 seems outlandish to me, and that's without playing "better" at all.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as a fwiw, apparently it's more like 57% for SNE

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well SNE at 200nl fr works out at min 50% rakeback afaik. Prolly nearer 57% ish.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, point largely unchanged. :)

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So awsome.

--------------------
HAND 1
--------------------

MP2: 7,725 (12.9 bb)
MP3: 6,630 (11.1 bb)
CO: 14,310 (23.9 bb)
BTN: 27,950 (46.6 bb)
Hero (SB): 8,910 (14.9 bb)
BB: 15,085 (25.1 bb)
UTG+1: 12,105 (20.2 bb)
MP1: 5,730 (9.6 bb)
Pre-Flop: Hero is SB with T 5
4 folds, CO calls 600, BTN calls 600, Hero completes, BB checks
Flop: (2,800) Q 2 J (4 players)
Hero bets 1,200, 2 folds, BTN raises to 27,300 and is all-in, Hero calls 7,060 and is all-in
Turn: (19,320) 9 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
River: (19,320) 8 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
Results:[spoil] 19,320 pot
Final Board: Q 2 J 9 8
BTN showed K J (a flush, King high) and lost (-8,910 net)
Hero showed T 5 (a straight flush, Eight to Queen) and won 19,320 (10,410 net)
[/spoil]

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every one else get the hollyday bonus from FTP?
I only got a 100$ witch means i have to play a litle on FTP this month.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
holiday bonus you say? Only for depositors? I transfered mine.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont think u have to deposit . Go to FTP lobby>Request>Check for bonuses.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checked. If you have deposited and cleared your bonus by the 15th your eligible. If not you have to finish your existing bonus/deposit then finish your bonus by the 30th of November.

Sounds good.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm, I don't have any offers. I just activated my first deposit bonus a week ago, maybe can't have both running at once? or do I just need to be patient?

edit, posted at same time ^^. I'm not very happy with that, its like my first deposit bonus has been completely wasted. I was already having a bad day...

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have until Dec 6th to activate the bonus and when u activate it u have 30days to clear it so u guys have plenty of time if its only a matter of clearing the deposit one first.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's pretty unlucky. I'm guessing you don't play enough to turbo through your bonus.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this still a bad beat?

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (9 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

MP1 ($7.94)
MP2 ($5.71)
MP3 ($5.06)
CO ($5)
Button ($0.81)
SB ($4.28)
BB ($1.49)
Hero (UTG) ($5.86)
UTG+1 ($0.98)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q
club.gif
, Q
spade.gif

Hero bets $0.20, UTG+1 raises $0.98 (All-In), 1 fold, MP2 calls $0.98, 5 folds, Hero raises $5.66 (All-In), MP2 calls $4.73 (All-In)

Flop: ($12.47) 6
club.gif
, 10
club.gif
, 4
club.gif
(3 players, 3 all-in)

Turn: ($12.47) 4
heart.gif
(3 players, 3 all-in)

River: ($12.47) 5
spade.gif
(3 players, 3 all-in)

Total pot: $12.47
Main pot: $3.01 between MP2, Hero and UTG+1, won by UTG+1
Side pot 1: $9.46 between MP2 and Hero, won by Hero

Results:
Hero had Q
club.gif
, Q
spade.gif
(two pair, Queens and fours).
UTG+1 had 10
spade.gif
, 10
heart.gif
(full house, tens over fours).
MP2 had J
diamond.gif
, A
heart.gif
(one pair, fours).
Outcome: Hero won $8.98, UTG+1 won $2.81

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm.. I have to decide whether it is best to accept it now and have it done before Xmas when I won't get to play much...or wait til after Thanksgiving weekend since I won't get to play much then either lol.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it wts out to be 238 in rake paid. But the sooner the better i'd say. we all know they'll be no time at all after thanksgiving. But it might be good to do that and go for an ironman medal at the same time too. :icon_sant

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thought experiment time:

1. Take the 24 tables that Jagsti plays.
  2. Now take away the 12 toughest ones.
  3. What will that do for his win-rate (not winnings, just win-rate)?

he starts to overadjust, outlevel himself and spew? :D

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ye remember what its going to do to your life jay, you will have to play like 4 hours a day? with you working, what about the days when say the champions league is on, so you only play an hour that night, suddenly you have to play 7 hours in a day to make up for it, never mind wwhen there are full days you have off due to illness, birthdays etc.

glglgl if you attempt it and i really hope you make it if you do, but give it proper consideration

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he starts to overadjust, outlevel himself and spew? :D

Wow, you just summed up my year :).

ye remember what its going to do to your life jay, you will have to play like 4 hours a day? with you working, what about the days when say the champions league is on, so you only play an hour that night, suddenly you have to play 7 hours in a day to make up for it, never mind wwhen there are full days you have off due to illness, birthdays etc.

glglgl if you attempt it and i really hope you make it if you do, but give it proper consideration

Yeah, no worries m8. I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. It's gonna be a long, hard slog. I think I can cope with the hours tbh, after all I play a lot of poker as it is and I never seem to get bored with it. The hardest part will be BRM and coping with variance. Having/forcing yourself to play when your running like absolute dog shite is gonna be the toughest part of this challenge. You see, I can't just say to myself, right I'm gonna quit for the day coz I lost 5 buy ins in 2k hands. I have to reach my hands/day target otherwise I'll fall too far behind.

There may be a little flexibility to that target after I go on a career break. But for the 1st 3-4 month's I have to get the hands/month target or it will be doomed before May/June imo.

Now, if I had an understanding wife, things would be a lot easier. Unfortunately that's not the case, so this challenge has just doubled in the degree of difficulty :p.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, I don't have any offers. I just activated my first deposit bonus a week ago, maybe can't have both running at once? or do I just need to be patient?

edit, posted at same time ^^. I'm not very happy with that, its like my first deposit bonus has been completely wasted. I was already having a bad day...
yeah, Im exactly the same, just started my first deposit bonus, which is gonna take a while to clear with the stakes I play, so I guess no holiday bonus for me:(