No Shame in Playing for Pennies

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, after yet another BR downswing at poker stars, I decided to get serious and cut everything unprofitable out of my game. That meant abandoning SNGs at just about every level, and limiting my tournament games to micros. ($2 and below)

With that sorted, now I just needed to find a ring level at which I could consistently generate profit. After decent success at NL($.10), and barely break-even dabblings of NL($.25), I decided to drop way back to the .02/.05 no-limit tables; which I had never tried before. The first thing that surprised me was that the max buy-in was $10, the same as the .05/.10 tables. That meant twice as much play, and still the potential for a big pot.

I was shocked at the player skill drop-off from even .05/.10. I was stacking players who called crazy all-ins with weak top pair and even inside straight draws. After about 2000 hands, my NL($.05) hourly profit has surpassed my NL($.10).

So, it looks like I've found a new home, at least until my BR comes off life-support. :D

ajws

ajws

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's one thing - weak fish calling you down with gutshots and crap like that, but when a fish like that gets his gutshot and makes that runner-runner you'll have a different view on those tables 4 sure !

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's one thing - weak fish calling you down with gutshots and crap like that, but when a fish like that gets his gutshot and makes that runner-runner you'll have a different view on those tables 4 sure !

If he's a good poker player he won't. He will lose some of those but most he will win. I'll take coin flips that I'm 80%+ to win all day long. And if I lose a few, oh well. Better than playing good players who never give me a chance to flip with an 80% advantage.

19honu62

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Penny games are fine but to what end? Are you playing there to increase your skills? Not gonna happen at such low levels cause the play is brutal.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, that's why I'm liking the stakes so much at the moment. Even in those sessions when I take a really bad beat (for example, KK getting cracked by 74o :)), I'm still posting a profit. Because of the small blinds and big stacks, variance doesn't hurt much at all. 4-tabling cuts down on this, and is even easier at these stakes to boot.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Penny games are fine but to what end? Are you playing there to increase your skills? Not gonna happen at such low levels cause the play is brutal.

To build bankroll, plain and simple. I plan on keeping my toe in the deeper waters from time to time, to make sure my game doesn't degenerate too much.

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No shame. I play NL5 and I'm proud of it :D Atleast I get my ocassional 300k sunday entry....

pokerace3454

pokerace3454

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like my pennies too even if i have $3,000,000 in my bankroll