No more playing around...

C

Cyn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing on and off for roughly 8 months now. I play for a while (I play my best), don't get good results.. eventually get frustrated and stop for a while. The cycle keeps repeating itself. I do read quite a bit on poker but I can never quite get it right when I play. Well tonight after losing yet another buy in, I am officially 110% pissed off.I read somewheres that making a public statement increases the likelihood of success when you are setting a goal for yourself... well here it is:

I will spend all available time and energy to attain my goal which is to be playing at least at $2/4 (currently playing at micro limits way below that) by Dec 17, 2008 (exactly 1 year from now).

Now here comes the part which could interest you! From past experiences, I believe having a mentor is one of the greatest assets you can have when trying to learn a skill. I know you can hire a coach online for X$/hour, but thats not what I am looking for. I am willing to do just about anything to beat the game. I am looking for someone who understands the state of mind I am in and who appreciates the value of determination. I obviously don't expect anyone to do this purely out of the goodness of their heart. What I offer is a percentage of my profits in return. At the stakes I am currently playing the profits will be slim, but I am willing to work as hard as it takes to get to the top and anyone willing to help me get there will have a share in my success. I started playing poker because I wanted to make money at it. I simply don't care about the money anymore... its a question of honor. I will beat this game!

It really boils down to this:
I am willing to give it all to succeed. Anyone willing to take a chance on me (invest some of their time and energy), will not be disappointed.

If you are interested by the idea of taking me on as a disciple, send me a PM.

Tobmeister

Tobmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
I think that you definitely have the correct idea, of course you need to care about the money in some way, but if you want to win more than you want the money, then you are on the right track.

I have played poker for a little while and i really know how you feel. I have made deposit after deposit and seen it all fly away. So my main tip to you is that if you start losing, or get into the wrong mindset, your game will suffer, so take a step back and STOP STOP STOP :pcguru:

I have now decided to take a Chris Ferguson style scheme, and i am going to build up my BR from freerolls and microstakes.

If you want a mentor then i doubt you will want me, but keep playing, and trawl through this site and find posts by people like Alien Genius, Dorkus Malorkus, Jaketrevvor, their posts will help you, just like they helped me

:icon_sant merry christmas :icon_sant

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest you make some intermediate goals as well, and make them concrete also. People who say their goal is to simply "lose weight" are far less likely to be successful than those who have a daily calorie intake goal. Perhaps you might set yourself a play time/number of hands per day goal, mapped out backwards from one year using proper BR management. In other words, if you are only playing $0.05/0.10 now it will take a lot of hands before you are playing 2/4 (assuming you only move up when you can afford it). You might find that you need to re-evaluate your end goal in terms of either the limit you want to get to (2/4), or the time to get there (1 yr) that you set.

GL, and hopefully cardschat will be a good resource on your journey.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like this guys idea and hope someone takes him on as a protage. I am not very good so wouldnt be much of a coach for you as i am still learning the game having played for only about a year. I see myself as being very good at omaha high though if you need a coach for that :D Since im always willing to get more players into omaha