Is NL hold em, the biggest luck involved poker game ?

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found it! The term, that is. It's called "Confirmation Bias."

And, yes, even though my ducks are the only pocket pair that have a negative return, I still have to love them, being from Oregon and all.

Mason Pye

Mason Pye

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it has the biggest luck factor, for instance with Omaha you can be only just a 60% favourite with the best hand and you can lose. With Omaha there is a lot more variance than NL and therefore more luck

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a little confused you seem to contradict yourself? The claim was that players who don't know how to play (I don't think Tony Baggio would fit in this category but I don't know who he is) are harder to beat than players who know hand ranges, etc...

Then you give the example of a player like this of Tony Baggio but the next line you say Negreanu would have smashed him playing HU?

I call TRUCO, LADRÃO!! :p
:D:D:D
Exactly, beat a bad player in a heads up game is way easy then in a full table wich you just play a few hands against each player. But, im just a fish. Let it go.
:ciao::ciao:

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
:D:D:D
Exactly, beat a bad player in a heads up game is way easy then in a full table wich you just play a few hands against each player. But, im just a fish. Let it go.
:ciao::ciao:

I'll let it go. :)

Buuuut.....

Jk :p

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
any type of omaha variant is super high variance... but I haven't dabbled in to many other games

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I dont agree...for example :

You have a NL hold em game...min buy in is $100....a above average player who doesnt have alot of money to risk , buys in for $100 . A average player buys in for $600 . More times then not, the average player will bust the above average player just based on stack size, and the ability to be a bully on the smaller stack by playing recklessly or forcing the above average player to get his whole stack in preflop and risk coin flip hands. In this type of scenario, LUCK, is once again a huge factor because the above average player with a $100 stack , is probably gonna call a all in with QQ...vs the average player with the big stack who pushes all in pre with AK or AQ...making the smaller stack have to coin flip.

The $600 stack , can risk all in preflop agasint the $100 stack and lose 4 coin flips in a row, before he busts out...the small stack can only lose 1 coin flip and he will bust out.

This is not skill, this is luck of the coin flip and small stack vs big stack . Once again, the small stack player may be better in poker, but his skill is not likely to overcome the luck factor and being able to overcome the big stacks chip advantage.

Nice response. So many times a winning hand is forced to fold because the raise is not worth the risk. Especially in online poker where big stack bias is so obvious as sitouts are blinded out.

R

rubYtrApp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I get it

I can type here that like Rumme1 is spot on. I have been playing holdumb now for around a decade and my nemesis isnt KK, but QQ... KK is actually almost always really lucky for me. I win more with KK than AA. I can still remember the 0k ole days of 7 stud and 5 draw... but they are a fading memory. :mad:

Top 10 Games