"Nice Hand", "Thanks!"

E

ELDONKOII

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:icon_sant i say ty if i think they saved me chips by misplaying their hand, example tonite utg +1 i raise 3.5x with kk and bb calls with 10 10...flop 259 i bet out he flats turn 10 , i check to trap he checks river ace he bets 3rd pot i call ...he shows trip 10s .... if he reraise preflop he stacks me off ,,, TY NH instead losing 100bbs i lose 22

O

OldDog456

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually take it as a **** you, as it usually comes after a close call or bad beat flop situation.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally off topic, but in Belgium (or at least where I went to school) we learn British English, but on exams we are allowed both. We have to be consistent though, so once we use colour for instance, we cannot use behavior anymore and vice versa.

I like your example showing that you have to be consistent not just on the single word.

'Nice Example'

JayBonez

JayBonez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its nice maners to show respect, i often see many people do a hellmuth and throw a tantrum. I have occasionally, better to just say good game nice hand and not be a poor sport.

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good hand, best hand, nice hand, lucky boy,, congratulations ,,,,

dan5379

dan5379

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that this happens because the player who lost the hand is a tad embarrassed....... Hence the nice hand, followed by the obligatory ty.

I think this is just human reaction to the situation he/she is found in. Be Lucky guys. Xx

dan5379

dan5379

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very true

i think that this happens because the player who lost the hand is a tad embarrassed....... Hence the nice hand, followed by the obligatory ty.

I think this is just human reaction to the situation he/she is found in. Be Lucky guys. Xx

dan5379

dan5379

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry as that posted twice. I m working off a tablet. I sorry........will be more careful in the future. Sorry. Xx

M

matnautico

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me anyway "nice hand" is used when a hand is played well, not when its a sick flop or anything.

F

franbx3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think people use for be greatefull.

dan5379

dan5379

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When some one says nice hand in the chat box i think most of the time that they are embarrassed as you have just pulled the rug from under there feet. Just a thought!

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Totally off topic, but in Belgium (or at least where I went to school) we learn British English, but on exams we are allowed both. We have to be consistent though, so once we use colour for instance, we cannot use behavior anymore and vice versa.
English is English it's only the Americans that misspell English because they speak American
British spelling all the way, imo. :cool:
I prefer Australian, or new zealand even Irish or even Sottish

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer Australian, or New Zealand even Irish or even Sottish
As long as it's proper English instead of American English. ;)

In other news:
Got a "nh" in a tournament yesterday after open-raising in the CO with AA, getting 3-bet by BTN, flatting, and check-raising a rainbow Kxx flop all-in (all bet sizes were pretty standard). He called with AK and I doubled up.
I interpreted his "nh" as a sincere "well played". So I replied with "ty". It's common courtesy.

C

CHILLI2U

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I only say nice hand if it was actually one, when I leave a game being beaten or when I have one of those clowns on the table who is going to give you their chips at some point. I love letting them know they are playing "well" and to keep them there as long as possible.

J

John Eddy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Thank you"

So many poker player say "Good Hand" after they are getting beaten and the response to it is always "Thanks". Why do they say thanks? Its not like they have done something to get this good hand... Can someone explain please?

It's just common courtesy, as if someone saw you on the street and said nice shirt. You would respond with "thanks" or "thank you." However, you will see a lot of newbies not realizing that thank you is preceded with a compliment. They win a hand, and just say "thank you." Oh well!

Padlington

Padlington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it does not cost anything to be polite in any circumstance its what the world at times seems to be lacking

Delenia

Delenia

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's just the courteous thing to say.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah this is one of those things so I usually say nothing unless its a particularly rough hand and I lost to a better hand. Otherwise I keep silent.

Funny thing I find though is when I suckout on someone (and obviously I get sucked out on plenty as well) people get all pissed off as if I caused the hand to river the way it did. I find this amusing. And if I am in an antagonizing mood, I may counter with something like "Skillz". Or "paying off the dealer at the beginning of the game really worked - WOW"

D

Dan Perkins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice hand

Ialways acknowledge a good hand or a well played hand. it's not only polite but it's the cival thing to do. responding with donk call or what a fish is rude.

S

Sourtubbie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the player I tend to not respond. Quite often the nice hand comment is a backhanded comment and they really mean you are a donk!
Really depends though and if we are talking about online,English can sometimes be the problem and thx or ty is easy to write or understand.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Doggone it, where are all the civil people when I'M playing?

One time I played, lost, and said...
"nice hand"
His response...
"yep"
:mad:
... fair to say I was livid... :D

The one that really got me was getting my AA cracked by a 83o from a "no-fold'em hold'em" player OOP... As people on the board congratulated this turkey with "nh"...:rolleyes:

There's a such thing as being TOO polite... sheesh...:rofl:

Naw... seriously tho, "nh, gg ,ty,... etc" is just good table etiquette...

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
If it's a nice hand ,I'm gonna say nh to the winner ,if he has played very well , the same , if sb says that to me and he means it I''ll answer ty , if he doesn't mean it , I won't . But if he's bad I know how to behave differently .

cazual88

cazual88

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not offensive if you loose against good hand. It is offensive to loose against garbage. Therefore I often say "nh" for good game with good hand. I show my respect to opponent so :)

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good manners and good people go hand in hand. It's not just the cards but the way the individual played them that deserves the old "good job" or "nice hand". Much better than "donk" or "fish" or many times much worse. I really enjoy the poker experience when people have a bit of fun and respect each other.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands