New Respect for Poker Luck vs Skill

Jay R

Jay R

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After playing for awhile I have new respect for poker as a game of skill vs chance. After doing sports betting, blackjack, roulette, & understanding mathematics & psychology, & limited game theory I feel the better players do have a substantial skill advantage over blind luck. It took me a while to believe that. I always thought if wsop was opened up to any age..a twelve year old would become champ. But I’ve changed my mind. There is a skill of calculation that only comes from experience.
In essence what “spot” are you presently in.
How do the cards fall? How skilled is your opponent? What is your range? How are others playing? How do I counter the Big Stack or the all-in players? How do I play in different phases of tournament?

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm just trying to be patient and that's why I have good results. I believe that skills and experience will always be more important than luck, because skills and experience are the basis for further success of the player.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
After playing for awhile I have new respect for poker as a game of skill vs chance. After doing sports betting, blackjack, roulette, & understanding mathematics & psychology, & limited game theory I feel the better players do have a substantial skill advantage over blind luck. It took me a while to believe that. I always thought if WSOP was opened up to any age..a twelve year old would become champ. But I’ve changed my mind. There is a skill of calculation that only comes from experience.
How do the cards fall? How skilled is your opponent? What is your range? How are others playing? How do I counter the Big Stack or the all-in players? How do I play in different phases of tournament?

You have taken a huge step here. So many players will talk about the luck of it all but math shows us other wise. Luck is short term thinking and not long term winning thinking. Congrats on taking this big step.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've said it a thousand times there is really no luck in poker. Poker is probabilities and the long run the numbers will stay true. I always love playing the players that say well I'm going to have to get lucky but I call.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you know that the Government of canada recognizes poker as a game of skill.

Technically, poker for money is illegal in Canada, but it is still allowed. They call it a game of skill, because if you make a living at it, and they find out, they will tax it.

All lottery winnings in Canada are non-taxable, and classed as games of chance.

This all stems back to a Stphen Harper Government about 20 years ago, when he said that gambling was not a top priority for the government to change the laws, and no one would be prosecuted.

lovemetender

lovemetender

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After playing for awhile I have new respect for poker as a game of skill vs chance. After doing sports betting, blackjack, roulette, & understanding mathematics & psychology, & limited game theory I feel the better players do have a substantial skill advantage over blind luck. It took me a while to believe that. I always thought if WSOP was opened up to any age..a twelve year old would become champ. But I’ve changed my mind. There is a skill of calculation that only comes from experience.
Good words my friend. It's clear that your evolution is growing fast

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you know that the Government of Canada recognizes poker as a game of skill.

Technically, poker for money is illegal in Canada, but it is still allowed. They call it a game of skill, because if you make a living at it, and they find out, they will tax it.

All lottery winnings in Canada are non-taxable, and classed as games of chance.

This all stems back to a Stphen Harper Government about 20 years ago, when he said that gambling was not a top priority for the government to change the laws, and no one would be prosecuted.

Are you able to cite source materials such as the relevant provisions under the Income Tax Act? Would be interested. Thanks

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
And simple skill will make you stand a good chance of winning regardless of the variance of luck!

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an issue that is discussed many times and because of the way poker has to be played, the rules, the draws, you need to have some skill to play poker.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facing players who are lucky is always risky but I prefer probability in my favor and yes we have to see how strong or weak our opponent is to face each other and let it pass.:)

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you able to cite source materials such as the relevant provisions under the Income Tax Act? Would be interested. Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't have that information.

What I can tell you is that the Harper Government said that online gambling was not a big priority for his government, and that no one would be prosecuted.

This was an issue because the various Provincial Lottery Corporations wanted exclusive rights to online gambling, which was technically against the law.

Harper advised that they could go ahead, without fear of prosecution, but that changing the law (because it was so vague) was not something his Government was prepared to do.

If you're looking for an example, pokerstars is now a Canadian owned, and operated company, with its' head office in Toronto.

They were concerned that there products wouldn't be allowed in Canada, but nothing has happened, and it's been around 5 years, now.

Stars is even expanding their canadian gambling into sports, now.

You can probably Google the Canadian Income Tax Act, and get a better perspective, but I'm not aware of any amendments to it, and that the wording is very vague.

Also, in spite of what the Provincial Lottery Corporations tell you, they have jurisdiction over brick and mortar, and offline gambling, only.

Anything (gambling or anything else) on the internet, is the jurisdiction of the Federal Government only, which is over seen by the CRTC.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe that the skills and experience of a player are the basis for the successful development of his career. Luck is important, but luck alone is not enough to succeed. In any case, we all need skills and experience.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I haven't played lucky or unlucky for a long time. Nobody canceled chances and mathematics yet. And if you even failed to realize a good card many times in a row, this does not mean that you are unlucky. This indicates that you have misused the card.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Congrats on arriving at a conclusion which is true! ;)

Now that you recognize poker (playing) as a skill which can be developed, you can begin improving significantly.

My advice?

Observe the players whom are doing the best at the format you desire to play. Watch what they are doing differently that sets them apart from the rest. Also understand that poker is an evolutionary game, which means there is so such thing as a static formula which will always work. You must constantly observe the tendencies of the game and be on the forefront of what is going on strategically.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have always said that long-term poker will always be fair, because and of course there are professional players, no one is born with more luck or less luck than another player, their actions at the tables will determine their results in the game, the poker is like life a sport of decisions and at the same time just a bit of luck as in everything in life.

D

deadguy2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of skill but winning a poker tournament does take more than skill. Every tourney I have ever won I got lucky in a few big hands. Now I did play good solid poker in them games but without those key hands were I sucked out on my opponent. For cash games it is more skill then luck.

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Really important step forward in mindset! In my opinion this belief and believing that losing hands where you're ahead does not indicate a poker site is rigged are the two biggest barriers to seeking out a deeper understanding of the overall strategies and tactics of poker.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

I am at a beginner level, and if the great poker players have an advantage from experience, I believe that skill has more advantage than luck, 60% against 40% in poker to improve the stak you have to be patient to follow the rules rules of the game and in the long run it is profitable .. greetings!