New Movie, "Deal" Has anyone seen it?

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am alright with Shannon Elizabeth, she holds her own (with Jennifer Tilly lol) on the poker table. The Grand looks decent, I am going to see if I can find it now.

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Grand looks more funny than real poker. This is probably a good idea. Movies that try and be real poker usually fail badly. The Grand looks fun. "

"The Deal" is truely a bad movie. The poker isn't any good, the movie isn't any good, the acting isn't any good, and oh ya the movie sucks ass.

Last edited:
BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
better than torrents watch-movies.net - although you need firefox to make it work good.

riffpoker

riffpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was boring, I didnt even stay to watch the whole thing. the opening line to rounders was better than this whole pile of garbage. it sucked.

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
better than torrents watch-movies.net - although you need firefox to make it work good.

Not sure why a site like that wouldnt work with Opera, considering that I use FireFox plugins for streaming downloads, etc.

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching it now (The Grand) and I like it so far. It is a mockumentary, a pretty funny one I think. Will update soon.

Z

zedmaster84

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
actually the movie sux and there is only Rounders to keep us pleased - u wud expect they get a nice movie started with the current pokerboom but the result is nuts ... sick

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
firefox

Not sure why a site like that wouldnt work with Opera, considering that I use FireFox plugins for streaming downloads, etc.

Correct I should have worded it differently.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
'The Grand' is a fun/funny movie. I like it better than a lot of comedies, but maybe I'm biased based on the subject.

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like "the grand" movie too! funny and crazy players... much like me! LOL

joos

joos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this movie is pretty bad, the ending surprised me but if you blink you might not see it.

Glad I didnt pay for it

brooklyn

brooklyn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this movis seems like a spin off to the movie i think the name was 21

brooklyn

brooklyn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you know theres a web site were you can watch all the new movies and old movies for free

G

gtycoon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure, but you don't get the same feeling of getting ripped off by going to the theatre and paying $8.00 for popcorn and $8.00 for a drink.

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nice review. I'm sold.

LOL Sorry, there wasnt really too much to say without giving the movie away or without making it sound like it wasnt worth watching. I dont think The Grand is a great movie, but it is alot better than most of the other poker movies lately. It gets a thumbs up from me, only because it isnt meant to be a true story, its merit is that it is so fake...

Z

zippyflounder

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haven't seen Deal but speaking of poker movies I caught "Lucky You" on cable last week. What a steaming pile of dog crap!!!! I wouldn't recommend you watch it even if it was the cure for cancer.
That it was, and the level of "play" would make most home games shudder.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL Sorry, there wasnt really too much to say without giving the movie away or without making it sound like it wasnt worth watching. I dont think The Grand is a great movie, but it is alot better than most of the other poker movies lately. It gets a thumbs up from me, only because it isnt meant to be a true story, its merit is that it is so fake...

hehe, I wasn't trying to be condescending or facetious, my mind was made up to watch it anyway and all I needed to know was that it was funny.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just finished watching it and seems like the best bits were all in the trailer.

Funny though, good few laughs.

I giggled like a chinese school girl at the whole Tex Brunson thing >-<

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just watched the movie, and I thought it was good, not great. I'd watch it again, and probably will later on tonight (vodka). I definitely would NOT pay to watch it though.

For starters its only about 1H 2M long, but the movie does stick/get straight to the point pretty much the whole movie (play poker most of the time or poker is definitely involved in whatever the scene may be).

The down side of that is that the movie doesn't really elaborate on anything (be it poker related or not [again most of the movie is 85% poker]). That is probably why some are considering this to be a so-so movie. Example you request?

Well (semi-spoiler ahead), No type of training was involved in the movie, yet the movie was completely based on someone being trained to better play poker. For instance, an important "tell" is spotted in the movie (twice) that involved the main character(s), but the movie never went into detail about how to spot the tells or how to disguise them (or about anything else at all[if you know poker, you know how the guy used his brain and his tell to his advantage. If you don't know poker your probably just like "wtf"]).

Now, the above isn't really a big deal (thats why I said the movie is good), but if the creators would have elaborated on certain aspects (any really) of poker/training (since training was the main plot), I feel this movie could easily rival rounders. Since it didn't elaborate, I'd still say its still a good movie, but not one you'd really want to pay for...at the same time though...one worth watching (especially if you just want to pass some time).

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is true that if someone doesnt know about poker, they will have no idea what the hell the characters are talking about.
It also is true that all of the funny parts are in the trailor. LOL