(NEW) Cardschat Article of the Month contest!

• Thread starter Dorkus Malorkus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cardschat is proud to announce the launch of our new Article of the Month contest!

Every month, a theme will be decided upon and you, the wonderful members of Cardschat, will be invited to submit a written article relating to that theme. The articles will be reviewed and judged by the forum staff, and any articles deemed worthy will have the honour of having their article published in the Cardschat poker strategy section and the monthly winner will receive the slightly more tangible reward of $40 on Full Tilt, courtesy of your generous benefactor Nick! So not only do you get to improve your game by putting pen to paper (read: fingers to keyboard) and thinking about what makes a good player good, you also have the chance to win a bit of money for doing so!

This contest is open to everyone. The only requirement is that you are a registered member of the forum. Multiple entries are not permitted (which should be commom sense as you'd be better off piling your effort into a solitary piece of work). There is no limit to how short or long an article has to be, but the use of common sense is advised.

A new contest will commence at the start of every month, and the previous month's winner will be announced, all being well, at some point in the first week of every month.

For the month of May, your theme is "the sound of one hand clapping". We want you to write an article based around one single hand of poker. It can be a hand of poker you have played, a hand you've witnessed, or a hand you've completely made up. The general subject of the article is your choice, you could for example detail your thought processes during a hand, tell a funny or interesting fictional or non-fictional story surrounding a hand, or use one hand to provide a basis for making a broader point about poker and poker strategy in general. The choice is yours!

All entries should be sent via e-mail to [contest over- email removed] by the end of the month (i.e. 12pm EST on the last day of the month). Make sure the subject line is "Cardschat Article Contest", and be sure to leave your Cardschat username in the e-mail so we know who you are! Late entries will unfortunately not be considered.

Bear in mind that you don't have to be a poker genius to participate! We are on the lookout for articles that will serve beginners well - not just articles for intermediate or advanced players. Occasionally, the monthly theme will branch away from poker strategy altogether, and encourage the more creative among you to get writing! Entries will usually be judged primarily but not exclusively on quality of advice given, literary merit, spelling/punctuation/grammar, originality, and what the makers of Bud Light would call 'readability' - although the judging criteria may alter slightly depending on the monthly theme. We will be coming up with diverse themes from month to month - at least one of which is bound to suit you!

One additional note - please don't plagiarise - in this day and age it's very easy to tell if a piece of writing is plagiarised, and anyone guilty of copying another article for this contest will be... dealt with accordingly.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM or post in here.

Good luck, and get writing!

Last edited by a moderator:
DawgBones

DawgBones

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another great idea! Thanks Nick for the oppurtunity. Question; Can members enter an article they have already posted in the forum? This does not apply personally, but I have read some thread starters that would be worthy of AOTM imo.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dorkus can correct me if I am wrong - but I believe we are looking for new articles. The point of the contest is to encourage more people to contribute articles to the forum on a regular and on-going basis.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dorkus can correct me if I am wrong - but I believe we are looking for new articles. The point of the contest is to encourage more people to contribute articles to the forum on a regular and on-going basis.

Much as I love correcting Debi, she's right this time. :(

Insaneasylm

Insaneasylm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hope spelling and the use of . ? ! ' " " : ; ect ect see i cann't even say that word right let alone spell it, don't have a huge factor in it lol. Cuz then i no i will never win.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unsurprisingly it will matter. ;)

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
so who's the judges?

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One additional note - please don't plagiarise - in this day and age it's very easy to tell if a piece of writing is plagiarised, and anyone guilty of copying another article for this contest will be... dealt with accordingly.
So - would Tammy spank us, if we were naughty boys? :p

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fantastic idea! I purchased a few domain names this past winter having to do with poker with the intent of writing some articles. I haven't gotten around to it yet and this sounds like just the encouragement (kick in the a@@) I need to finally get started!

Question: Is it okay to e-mail articles created from Word or do they have to be cut/pasted into the e-mail?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As long as it's attached in an easily readable format, attachments are fine.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Fantastic idea! I purchased a few domain names this past winter having to do with poker with the intent of writing some articles. I haven't gotten around to it yet and this sounds like just the encouragement (kick in the a@@) I need to finally get started!

Question: Is it okay to e-mail articles created from Word or do they have to be cut/pasted into the e-mail?
Yes, Word is fine. :)

So - would Tammy spank us, if we were naughty boys? :p
I never need an excuse for spankings. ;)

Also, it would be very helpful if, when emailing your entry, you also include your Cardschat username.

nutshooter

nutshooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is an awsome oppertunity that will definitely get the communtity invovled in starting new threads. Special thanks to Nick for the incentive

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was hoping to see something like this soon. It will get a chance for all the members here to share their valuable knowledge of poker and add a little more quality to the forum.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Free monies! I have this topic locked!

Oh wait... It occurs to me that "The sound of one hand clapping" might not have to do with watching pr0n while playing online poker.
This might be harder than I thought.

Last edited:
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
uvrayz

uvrayz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds like fun i havent done one of these yet. i consider myself a pretty good writer so watch out

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So why have I not been receiving entries to this contest? Reading this thread, it seems well received. Come on people, get your writer's caps on!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tammy is lonely, send her stuff! :eek:

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So why have I not been receiving entries to this contest? Reading this thread, it seems well received. Come on people, get your writer's caps on!

I just sent one to you.:)

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope to submit one too. Have my topic, just need to write it out.

ryodejaneiro

ryodejaneiro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great idea guys. I'm not sure about this month since I'm still doing some non-poker related writing and getting short on time, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for these topics. Out of curiosity, will the articles be reviewed "blind" (basically where the author name will be omitted during the review process to prevent any unintentional biases) or just reviewed as is?

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is pretty exciting stuff. i take it we'll only be able to read the winning essay.
i'm not that good at writing but i might give it a try.
woot woot!! peace:)

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand the point of emailing the essays but just curious, are you guys going to post just the winning essay or all essays? just my two cents, but i personally think that when all of the entries are submitted, there should be a separate thread created with all of the essays, if people are going to take the time to write them I think they should definitely get some credit and I'm sure a lot of the essays will be interesting to read and educational not just the winning one.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sending to Tammy today.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you all have little over a week left to get your entries in! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.