Myths, Truths and Lies about Poker

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Don't play on Fridays"; "Avoid to leave the tables if you are winning"; "Run away from the tables if you are loosing";"Since I started studying my losses increased"; "The best proportion between playing and studying is about 40%/60%"; "You increase the chances to be a winner by playing a lot of tables at the same time"... and so on.. Everybody seems to have a great theory about the best way to approach Poker.

Let's discuss some myths, truths and lies about our favourite game!

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, you are right, if you study, you will improve your game, and in the long term you will be a winning player.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I think that the examples you put in your post are not myths are how the players feel more comfortable playing at least I do not play at the tables on Sundays because it is simple I do not like to play that day, if I am losing in one table I look for another maybe it is cabala but it is a way to reset the mind and have it positive to play, I totally agree with you that studying is the best way to progress in poker and if I have a myth in poker is that every time I do a withdrawal I fall into a bad streak I know that this is a myth since it makes no sense but every time it happens I think the same

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, greatgame230!

All this are only a few examples, not necessarily my personal opinion. I am trying to introduce a topic about what people have heard and may influence to some extend in their game.

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, ammje!

What if the way you study is not what should be considered the right one? Then maybe the game deteriorate instead of improve? What do you think?
Hello, you are right, if you study, you will improve your game, and in the long term you will be a winning player.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, ammje!

What if the way you study is not what should be considered the right one? Then maybe the game deteriorate instead of improve? What do you think?

The best way to study is for a player with more experience to correct your mistakes, check your hands with him, etc.
Or you can raise your hands, of which you have doubts if you played right or wrong, in this subforum.
There are some pros, such as Collin and Jacky, who, in turn, help the other players with their advice.
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-hand-analysis-51/

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is ruled by math behind it and that's it! What you are talking about is religion. All beliefs and myths that counter poker math/logic are false and that can be proved with mathematical certainty!

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point, BlackJesus. Most players underestimate the importance of math in Poker.

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Don't play on Fridays"; "Avoid to leave the tables if you are winning"; "Run away from the tables if you are loosing";"Since I started studying my losses increased"; "The best proportion between playing and studying is about 40%/60%"; "You increase the chances to be a winner by playing a lot of tables at the same time"... and so on.. Everybody seems to have a great theory about the best way to approach Poker.

Whenever hubby gets any pair he proclaims "It's a trap" good god

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Further, it is an "easy game", lablelarry!

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No one is going to mention bluffing frequency? Watch a poker movie, or the wsop highlights and it looks like half of the table is bluffing; I want to play these people in real life! Real poker isn't like the movies: good players seldom bluff with no hand whatsoever or exploitative reads on the opponent. Movie poker players bluff way too much. As for the WSOP highlights, people at home sometimes forget that they are watching "highlights." See that hand that this poker pro had here? Completely nothing, but they stone cold bluff anyway and win the pot!? What we don't see is that the last 100 hands, or whatever, they played at the table were extremely tight. The good players don't profit long-term by bluffing every other hand.

heeyjean

heeyjean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The funny thing is that poker is very similar to other things in life.

People use to search for tricks, easy ways and not to dedicate and improve everyday.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is pretty much based on math to be honest. i played 2, almost 3 years without studying and my earnings were not that great, i had winnings enough only to keep me in the game, but after i started reading and watching different people grinding and explain the game my game got up. still need lots of improvment but at this point its all about patience and playing like 1k - 2k hands a day

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super interesting, Phoenix Wright!

People tend to emphasize the glamorous facet of Poker. This way, in the middle of a streak of wins, for example, we frequently forget all the work behind the cards to be a winner.

No one is going to mention bluffing frequency? Watch a poker movie, or the WSOP highlights and it looks like half of the table is bluffing; I want to play these people in real life! Real poker isn't like the movies: good players seldom bluff with no hand whatsoever or exploitative reads on the opponent. Movie poker players bluff way too much. As for the WSOP highlights, people at home sometimes forget that they are watching "highlights." See that hand that this poker pro had here? Completely nothing, but they stone cold bluff anyway and win the pot!? What we don't see is that the last 100 hands, or whatever, they played at the table were extremely tight. The good players don't profit long-term by bluffing every other hand.

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, heeyjean!

I do agree. There are lots of parallel between life and Poker.
The funny thing is that poker is very similar to other things in life.

People use to search for tricks, easy ways and not to dedicate and improve everyday.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the biggest lies comes from me.

I tell people I am a good player....................

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice, patz!

And, considering your experience, what do you think about the frequency we should take breaks? The ideal balance between playing and be off the tables?
poker is pretty much based on math to be honest. i played 2, almost 3 years without studying and my earnings were not that great, i had winnings enough only to keep me in the game, but after i started reading and watching different people grinding and explain the game my game got up. still need lots of improvment but at this point its all about patience and playing like 1k - 2k hands a day

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Very interesting post, I have never even thought about it, it is probably worth paying some attention to it

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I do not believe in different myths and prejudices, but I have one rule that I always follow. My rule is to start the game only in good mood.

PistolPete89

PistolPete89

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

People who say such things are not well-versed in fairly basic mathematics and should be ignored.

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, Lena M!

Excellent rule! That could have saved me some buy-ins.

Hello.
I do not believe in different myths and prejudices, but I have one rule that I always follow. My rule is to start the game only in good mood.

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, PistolPete89!

I didn't mean to judge other people's beliefs, I just wanted to be able to open up a discussion about things that many of us have heard, and sometimes we may even unconsciously take into consideration during a game.
People who say such things are not well-versed in fairly basic mathematics and should be ignored.

J

Juli

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey, podoloboq!

I have found myself in this situation many times, forcing me to play even without feeling like it. But, sometimes, that kind of attitude can be worth it.

I'm on the contrary more forcing to play poker exactly that day)) and especially when the Friday 13:evil: