The Myth of AK

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a hand that many players love and hate alike. But in any case, it should be one of the most profitable. It is always a good idea to play AK aggressively in general. He gives you a chance to take the pot preflop, and if your opponent calls a 3bet, you can use initiative to pressure him postflop.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
David Skalansky mentions this hand is good for all in because you don't know where you are post flop. Most likely you are all in any way. For me its a hand played strong but I hate get all in with it unless I'm short stacked. I'll take my changes post flop.

nanida888

nanida888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree with you. Allin preflop with this hand I go when I'm already short stack. In the course of the game, it is better to raise with AK, and then, according to the situation, that is, on the board, take the following actions, raise further, call or pass. Most often, you have to fold, especially when opponents start raising with all their might. And at the showdown later it turns out that they have a pair with a small card, when neither ace nor king was put on the table ...

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
AK is a very strong hand to play preflop. But not always an all in situation.

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi Friend.

Obviously a pocket pair is stronger than AK but it is the strongest bluff hand obviously a bluff hand is preferable to see the board but honestly if given the choice I'd rather take the risk of going All In Pre Flops, sometimes. you have to take a risk. :)

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The myth of AA

AA, AK, big pairs, way too often you end with a final board, that ruins your pre-flop advantage..
MTT end-stage, don't put all your equity on pre-flop AK or AA. It's better to limp ITM, even if you are tempted to shove AA or AK.

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA, AK, big pairs, way too often you end with a final board, that ruins your pre-flop advantage..
MTT end-stage, don't put all your equity on pre-flop AK or AA. It's better to limp ITM, even if you are tempted to shove AA or AK.

I personally would find it very hard to fold (without shoving) such a hand in the late game. maybe that's why I don't go to ITM so often:D

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
85% of the players who have played with me all in with AK are still feeling that the myth of AK being the strongest hand in the deck according to the players I think is pure myth because it is not because it is the strongest hand that will be the winning hand I already won several times that allin made with AK having only 2 and 3 in other QJ 10 and 9 so I think that before allin pre flop with AK it would be better to just raise and see the flop if I come A OR K on the table and do not come with a straight to another or flush then think about betting that hand ...

depends on how many big blinds we are talking about

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
AK on a freflop is a very strong hand that blocks combinations of AA and KK. Against lower pocket pairs, it's a coin flip and all other hands are behind.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is a situational game choice of decisions no how to play AK many factors and opportunities to play with unprepared hands AK is the strongest hand and you need to keep this in mind

Last edited:
C

Clutchdenier

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonathan Littles poker coaching website - he goes into depth on AK about it being similar to what you described. Its a hand that can smash the flop but can make itself very hard to play on later streets if you miss - Its an all-or-nothing hand a lot of the time because the urge is to always 3bet pre (at least for me) and haven lost the last 4 hands with AK I can testify to its vulnerability :D

pokerace_1

pokerace_1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AK. They say it's not true, but I am loser most with this hand. If I have it vs pp, l lose. If I have the pp, AK hits. I have lost several times with this hand deep in tournaments. One time it was to AQ. :( LOL!! One day in a cash game I got stacked two hands in a row with it. Next hand, I look down AK. I just mucked it. Huge pot, AK would have won. It's a conspiracy. All the AK combos are are out to get me.

blef121

blef121

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this hand is better than many pairs, because AK gives a 2-sided opportunity if the subscriber has from QQ to 22, there is still a chance of a straight and a flush if they are the same, so I think these are worthy cards for a bold game and victory !!!

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try not to go all-in with AK. It works out for me probably less than 50% of the times.

A

Acadien07

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had no luck too with AK !☹️

Especially lately had a lot of bad luck 🍀 but rather still have AK than 3-8 and go all in and at least they might fold at least will win the blinds ! And if I loose I guess against a lower hand better luck next time still hoping luck will change soon !🤔

A

Acadien07

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Other players must be luckier!

I try not to go all-in with AK. It works out for me probably less than 50% of the times.
Like too hear from players that win most of the time with AK I’m sure we are not the only one at less than 50% of the time? Let’s be patient !🇨🇦🤞

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like any hand, AK, AA, etc. will not give 100% winnings, so it is ridiculous to exalt any hand into an unbeatable combination.

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need to learn to go all in less and see the flop more often with these hands.

C

CaptainXL

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is not a myth, I’ve played it myself. If I raise preflop and everyone folds I’m usually a little disappointed, but there are no guarantees it would have hit the flop anyway.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest problem most people have with AK, in my experience, is that they are too focused on absolute hand strength.
As a result, they often can't fold the hand postflop, even if the relative hand strength would be more in favor of a decision to fold.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i wont play an all in with AK. Unless i am very short stacked and have no alternative, saying that, i do see it win, lucky draws!

B

Backlash

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I am not familiar with my opponents play, then no I am not going all in preflop with AK.

But if I know my opponent has been playing loose all night. Yea, I pushing that all in!

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online AK early seems to hold up but further into a tournament it doesn't. I believe this is how the software is set up. :smile:

T

thesternburglar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All-Ins should be reserved for a made hand such as QQ-AA after someone else raises. AK is technically a drawing hand in my opinion. Until you hit either one you just have two big cards. When they don't flop a C bet should be considered but it is not necessary. It just depends on what else hits. If you raise 4 BB preflop and the flop is 2,6,7 rainbow by all means C bet. If the contains a Jack or Queen things could get ugly. Obviously position is important to consider here as well. Your C bet could be used to get a free card on the turn if you are in. late position.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Can we speak with some data to back this up?

To me AK is strong and worthy of pre-flop shove under the right circumstances.
But what I like to avoid is shoving a huge stack with AKo from early position early in a tournament.

But we are playing with position in mind, with our carefully gathered intel, congnizant of action before us, and considerate of player tendencies of those who play behind us.

I think there are people who still like to argue whether AKo is a made hand or not. I say YES because it beats all other non-made hands. But you could argue it is simply the best of non-made hands.

But with its ability to block AA and KK and be a flip/race against any other hands/pocket pairs, its strength should not be overlooked.

The key here is not to over-value any two cards. first, you need to value your chip stack. That is what is keeping you in the game. Not two hole-cards. Your hole cards are what risks knocking you out of the game.

If you have 200BB early in a tourney, sure, but AKo...but why risk your tourney life over it? I'm not suggesting you cower in fear if you get 3-bet/4-bet...but we shouldn't always be so eager to get all our chips in pre-flop.

I like a good 3/4-bet with AKo, narrowing the field, and then a good flop bet, especially with over cards on the board. But you also need to maintain some fold equity and be prepared to let losing hands go.
(This is a bit rich from me as I spend a fair amount of time trying to be less timid, post-flop...almost ot the point of becoming a call-station. It is important to be able to let go when you're beaten. That is what is holding most of us back, I expect.

Cheers,
JT