The Myth of AK

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all in Ak

I always used to go all in on AK but I’ve learned that patience is key, much better to get a look at the flip first and play accordingly but as with all hands, every situation is different
that's right, we were tempted to go all in with AK NA HAND but the best thing is to be patient as we must see the flop so as not to risk our chips

R

rmcmullen2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When AK wins we call AK-47 the Kalashnikov machine gun. If loose Anna Kurnikova beautiful but useless in the game.

A-Q is known as the Anna Kournikova because it is beautiful to look at but does not win nearly as often as it should.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
85% of the players who have played with me all in with AK are still feeling that the myth of AK being the strongest hand in the deck according to the players I think is pure myth because it is not because it is the strongest hand that will be the winning hand I already won several times that allin made with AK having only 2 and 3 in other QJ 10 and 9 so I think that before allin pre flop with AK it would be better to just raise and see the flop if I come A OR K on the table and do not come with a straight to another or flush then think about betting that hand ...

Premium hands are always difficult to play. You can go all-in and scare everyone away and then waste your hand or bet low and give others the chance to see the flop and dominate you. The ideal is to observe your position and play accordingly. If you have AK, you don't want to go on the flop with 3 more players. So you bet in order to get the most people out of the action. The ideal is to go against 1 or 2 players to increase your chances.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For tournament play, unless short stacked, there is no need to go all-in preflop with any hand. AK is a great hand, but if it doesn't improve, it is merely an A high hand and is EASILY beat.

In a cash game, AK theoretically provides enough equity to play for stacks every time and come out ahead in the long run.

For me, I would rather isolation bet to get to a flop with as few players as possible. Then play poker and make the best decisions i can after that. But then again, I don't have any wsop bracelets either.

Good luck and God bless.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
unlike middle and short pairs ak have lot of equity postflop (especially if they are suited) against every hand except aces or kings so even though ak can be beaten postflop even by a pair of deuces, it is still a very strong hand to fold preflop even against more than 1 shove..

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With any hand there are times when a pre-flop all-in is the best move and times when you should bet small or call and lastly, fold. The card you hold are, of course, only one factor of many to consider in coming to a decision. And the factors can change on each street as the the hand plays out. The trick with AK is to avoid the myth that it is invincible. That idea can lead to a failure to consider all the other important elements like position, stack sizes, etc.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In our club 90% of people think that this hand is stronger than aces, so they immediately put all the chips in our freerolls:)Seriously, this hand is very overrated, so I always play it differently, it all depends on my stack.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. AK does work more than 50% of the time. Fell it is really important to see the flop first.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In our club 90% of people think that this hand is stronger than aces, so they immediately put all the chips in our freerolls:)Seriously, this hand is very overrated, so I always play it differently, it all depends on my stack.
I also think it's a great hand but most of the times we're going to lose with it so I see no reason to start a tournament and get AK and all-in because I'm eliminating myself from the tournament if I don't get A OR K on the table and the guy gets one pair ...

For tournament play, unless short stacked, there is no need to go all-in preflop with any hand. AK is a great hand, but if it doesn't improve, it is merely an A high hand and is EASILY beat.

In a cash game, AK theoretically provides enough equity to play for stacks every time and come out ahead in the long run.

For me, I would rather isolation bet to get to a flop with as few players as possible. Then play poker and make the best decisions i can after that. But then again, I don't have any WSOP bracelets either.

Good luck and God bless.
this is what I wanted to say that you said it all: no hand is worth an all-in preflop because our chance of being the first eliminated in a tournament is very high. I never take the greatness out of a hand like AK I just call those who you think have won by holding AK in my hand a myth

Last edited by a moderator:
pitoplay

pitoplay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK= Anna Kurnikova
looks good but can not very much:cool:

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Hi friend.

It is a strong hand, but it is a bluff hand, so if no pair fits, they liquidate us, in my case with that pair I won 25% of the times I played it, I did as you say, you wait for the Flop and even Turn, but no card fit.

UNE_Aces

UNE_Aces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is strong hand when you see on the floop A, but your dreams brokes when you see opponents hand AA

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
AK is a very strong hand but is very overrated by many as well. AK is the bedt hand preflop again any two card unless they are a pair. Ak can also beat some pairs without improving. IE AK vs 44 on a run out of 27557. The one issue it people will overplay them. 150BB deep going all in is not a winning play.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I totally agree A/K is vastly over rated as a good hand. I would prefer to see a flop with them but to go all-in is still risky, but so are any two cards you are dealt, I have played On-line and Live for over 20 years and have played many hundreds of thousands of hands, the biggest mistake I made in my younger days was going all-in with them, when I didn't need to do.
A Friend I played against, heads up in a game pushed all-in, and as I had a chip lead on him, I actually told him he had me beat, as I had a read on his play, I knew as soon as he shoved he had A/K and I still called with a Q/10, when I turned my hand over he laughed and asked why I had called knowing he had A/K? I just said "because I know how you play, and at the end of the day I have two Live cards", I paired, and he missed, Game Over!
Poker is a cruel game and there are many mistakes players make, A/K is just one of them, I still make the same mistake today, but when your back is against the wall and you desperately need a double up, you will do the same.
There is no Magic hands in Poker, and I have no favorite hand because they are all the same, I have won pots with 10/7, 6/9 and even 7/2 and will play any two cards if the price is right, and I think that is my biggest success when I play is knowing when to call, and when to fold.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

L

Lochika

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK

85% of the players who have played with me all in with AK are still feeling that the myth of AK being the strongest hand in the deck according to the players I think is pure myth because it is not because it is the strongest hand that will be the winning hand I already won several times that allin made with AK having only 2 and 3 in other QJ 10 and 9 so I think that before allin pre flop with AK it would be better to just raise and see the flop if I come A OR K on the table and do not come with a straight to another or flush then think about betting that hand ...

From what I understand from you is that you scared to lose with your AK's to hands with a lot of equity against ( such has QT, QJ, TJ etc ). But egnoring for a second balnce ranges, moving all in with AK is very positive action, because you get your opponent to fold out all those high equity hands, and most of the time get to face hand that you dominate to call (such as AJ, AQ, KQ, etc).
AK is almost the strongest hand in poker pre tflop, and shoving it pre flop can generate a ton of value.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I also used to go all in easily with AK , but also with weaker hands like AQ , AJ , also A10 A9 , very loose gameplay , now I look at my stack , the previous actions , the tourney stage , other factors . Even QQ I see it's overrated , I lost yesterday SS my QQ prefolp , I 3bet it 40 me with blonds , he shoved , I called , I thought he might have AK , he had AA :(

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of the non-pairs, A, K really counts as the best hand, but the strongest hand in the deck is A, A. Anyway, neither hand performs too well at a lower bet because there are a lot more random cards to raise and so they lose a lot of value against more flop viewers.

C

Carlloss

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop AK is a very strong hand, it's the top of the preflop range, you're only losing to AA and KK, but since you block these combinations, your AK is very strong. But that doesn't mean you're going to put more than 50 blinds into the pot before you even see the flop. Your tournament health depends on making good decisions.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is probably 4th best starting hand, so there's no doubt why eveyone play this cards strong. . One thing benefits this hand is you know that you block ace and the king this way you're less likely to be against those monsters AA or KK. I personally love AK more than most hands, certainly more than pocket jacks. AK vs any low pairs, it's flip ok but would you really put your whole stack to any pair when you face 4 bet? I don't think so. AK will be disaster for any Ax hands most of the times. Other than that if we're not going to give this card enough value, then we better don't play poker. And weakness about AK that I fold it only when 2 or more players shoves. Depends on the stacks, that's really dangerous diving into pot with that hand. I let it go mostly. On the earlier stages of tourney, we might consider folding against one player too, just because there's no need for gamble this early. :)

aissam18

aissam18

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree to be fair i always lose with AK 80% of the time

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course AK is a strong hand, but there are a lot of nuances. Much depends on the stage of the tournament, position, your stack, etc. This question is multifaceted and it is impossible to tell in one post. It all depends on the specific situation. Read more literature and play more hands, then you will have the necessary knowledge to solve the problem.

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Inclue in this argument

The information about against how much opponents you have in your hand

Of course AK is a strong hand, but there are a lot of nuances. Much depends on the stage of the tournament, position, your stack, etc. This question is multifaceted and it is impossible to tell in one post. It all depends on the specific situation. Read more literature and play more hands, then you will have the necessary knowledge to solve the problem.

V

vladikov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is the hand that most often loses all in before the flop

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level