Mucking the winner on showdown

F

FreshmanJoe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever mucked the winner on showdown?

Yesterday, I raised preflop with K8o, got a couple of callers. Flop came 434. Everyone checked. Turn was another 3. I bet, everyone but the guy on my right calls. River was a 9. We both check. He says "straight" and tables 25o. And the dealer says something. I thought the dealer confirmed that he had a straight. I still checked the board again, but for some reason I still mucked my hand.

And today I mucked K high after calling a raise on the river with a 98998 board after he showed A8.

I'm not sure what's going on, but it's something that I'm really beating myself over.

Has something like this happened to you?

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i did that the other day lol in free play i bet 2800 on river got a donkey to call me then wife calls tho she had the ace we both had the same hand k9

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it depends a lot on the situation of the type of game (money or tournament). Sometimes it's good to show your opponent to see that you're not stealing, but on other occasions it's interesting not to show it so they don't guess your game strategy

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Have you ever mucked the winner on showdown?

Yesterday, I raised preflop with K8o, got a couple of callers. Flop came 434. Everyone checked. Turn was another 3. I bet, everyone but the guy on my right calls. River was a 9. We both check. He says "straight" and tables 25o. And the dealer says something. I thought the dealer confirmed that he had a straight. I still checked the board again, but for some reason I still mucked my hand.

And today I mucked K high after calling a raise on the river with a 98998 board after he showed A8.

I'm not sure what's going on, but it's something that I'm really beating myself over.

Has something like this happened to you?
Yep - A few years back in a live game. Guy did show the winning hand, and I mucked my hand - BUT, it was the same hand as the other player. Have been ticked off with myself about this ever since.
What is going on - for you and me - is a lack of focus. Gotta stay sharp, or leave the table. If it happens too much, then you have to rethink your involvement in the game. Good luck.

D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't recall exactly what the hands were, but I had an opponent in a live game who at the close of betting called out a hand he did not have, trusting fella that I am I mucked my hand before he turned his cards over.

Luckily the dealer hadn't taken my cards yet, when he showed his hand I grabbed mine again and turned them over. The dealer called the floor manager who then gave the guy a warning for his bad behaviour and I got the pot.

Apparently that dude likes to pull tricks like that all the time, a few other players at the table were pretty tired of his sh!t. Of course he said he was "only joking"... yeah right angling POS.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I hate it when that happens. It's a bad feeling for sure.

Similarly i had a guy toss his cards out, and I thought he had folded to my bet and was showing me what he folded. So, not wanting to give my hand away, I mucked my cards, and then the dealer starts pushing the pot to him, and I said "What? He folded and i won the pot." I was told that I mucked my hand and was not able to pull it back. Arghhhhhhhh... At the time the tables were COVID adapted with plexi-glass partitions and we couldn't hear what was going on. Still it was my mistake and i should have taken the time to get it right.

Some of these things don't happen on-line, but we do have to be certain about what is happening live. Slow down and pay attention and be certain ... what else can we way.

Good luck and God bless.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Yeah, it happens. Brain freeze.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When i do big bluff sometime i showdown but 99% of time i muck and its just strategic.......depend too of the people on table

L

lablelarry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play live very much, just a ladies group in town (pre covid) to practice for Vegas...but this is one thing I'd worry about in live games. Pros and cons to online and in person

Winner Poker