Most Helpful Books For Intermediate Players??

D

Darkphoenix5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What would you say is the poker book that has most significantly improved your poker playing?

I just started playing about 18 months back and have read through Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book" & Doyle's "Super System" just wondering where to go from here to really build off of the fundamentals these books have taught me.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well what do you play? Ring? MTT's? STT's? PLO? Stud? NL Razz? :p

D

Darkphoenix5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I was speaking in general but I guess specifically NL Hold'em (9 handed cash and SnG's ). My personal goal would be to get to the point where i could play comfortably play 1/2 NL although atm I'm far from having a bankroll to be able to play that online.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For SNG's I'd go with Collin Moshman's book, that'll give you a great guide to get you started. I'm not sure what to recommend for full-ring cash, that's unfortunately what I play (there are plenty here who do though), so I'll hold back and wait for someone else to make a better suggestion.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm currently reading Harrington's Online Cash Games; 6-Max No-Limit Hold 'em and it is well written and has lot useful infornmation. Also I can reiterate last post on Collins Moshman's book, great book on SnG's.

Dan Harrington also has two volumes on cash NLHE. (How to Win at No-Limit Hold'em Money Games). Haven't read them but might want to look into them. Most of his books have favorable reviews and for the most part are well received here in this forum.

There has been lot threads written about poker books. Be worth a search to look at those and the comments made.

Good luck and welcome to CardsChat.

D

Darkphoenix5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've heard good things about the Harrington series and have been meaning to read up on them and its my first time hearing about Collins Moshman's book but I will most definitely check it out.

Thanks for the suggestion I now at least have a place to start.

A

Andre_S

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as Dan Harrington goes, I think his best book is on playing tournaments - "Expert Strategy for NL Tournaments", it was a breakthrough read for me.

For intermediate players in cash games I'd recommend "Small Stakes No-Limit Hold'em" /digital version/ by Ed Miller.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can recommend you the books "Kill Phil" and "Kill everyone" by Lee Nelson - for mtt´s. For the sng´s you should read Collin Moshmans books(s). I don´t play cash, but there is a good Harrington book. :cool:

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One book I have read is "Ace on the River". By Barry Greenstein. It has a lot hands played out in the back of the book, that show you how he and other pro's played hands. It gives you the whole thought process behind why they played those hands that way. The beginning of the book gives his history of how he got started in poker as well as other tips about the game. Interesting read. Not just straight strategy which can some times become boring.

jjbish

jjbish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can afford it go with Balugawhale's book. Both parts are great, although the 2nd part is definately more adavnced and the better of the 2 imo.

Regardless, these books become dated rather quickly. So a video training site may be a better option as you see the latest, greatest etc.

D

Darkphoenix5000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One book I have read is "Ace on the River". By Barry Greenstein. It has a lot hands played out in the back of the book, that show you how he and other pro's played hands. It gives you the whole thought process behind why they played those hands that way. The beginning of the book gives his history of how he got started in poker as well as other tips about the game. Interesting read. Not just straight strategy which can some times become boring.

I've never truely liked Greenstein's style of playing as well as Gus Hansen's so I think I pretty much disregarded both thier works as being any good but might be worth it to check it out to get a better understanding of why their style of play works for them. Although I don't think I could shape my style around their concepts.

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can recommend you the books "Kill Phil" and "Kill everyone" by Lee Nelson

Really? I picked up kill phil and read through it quickly, I would give that book to someone without much skill, whos won a satellite into a big tournament and has 3 days to get better, from memory it was mostly about how to remove the skill edge from obviously more experienced and deeper thinking players..... By going all in the whole time.

I do like Lee Nelson, he lives right by the sea where I work. The story I heard was he had the first million to start building the house and was in the process of winning the 2 million NZ needed to finish it, for real aye.

I agree Dan Harringtons books are good, well laid out and easy to follow.

I am thoroughly enjoying No Limit Holdem Theory and Practice by Ed MIller and David Sklansky dipping my nose into it when I get the chance on the la z boy. Im not finding it easy, some of the concepts and formulas are very tricky but its great in the fact that its not a "how to" book like the Harrington series. Im also reading The theory of Poker by David Sklansky, again, not easy going but as I read I realise I cannot move up to the next level myself without understanding and applying what Im reading to particular hands, tables and opponents.

I remember when I started playing, playing only live poker, I was hooked instantly. After trying to read strategy articles I realised how little I knew.

My tournament play improved significantly after reading the Harrington Tournament strategy books. Im not saying im good now, Im just up a level or two from then, and at every next level I guess you begin to learn how much more there is to learn.

So Im recommending the sklansky books, and look forward to the point where Im understanding and applying the knowledge. Then looking for the next level. Ive still got years to learn, hopefully I'll just keep improving.

I'll try to get a look at Collin Moshmann book when some spare room arrives in my brain.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Collin's book is really good - you have to read it if you play sng's. (But don't use the push tables in the back - they are out-dated now)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got a lot out of Killer Poker - No Limit by John Vorhaus.

It has some great, solid playing advice but the best part was the self-analysis that it encouraged you to do. There was a fair bit of away from the table stuff in it too which was handy.

Guess I should probably read the Moshmann book some time to see what all the fuss is about :p