Mental side of Poker/Gambling

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel that the title is something we rarely talk about. I have a lot to say on this but a bit lazy atm, would prefer to add on to what forum may contribute on this subject, or I'll be back here or some other thread on the Mental challenges of gambling but I strongly feel that this is a rarely discussed subject, & feels albeit a bit intentionally left out

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you talking about gambling addiction or mental challenges influencing performance (tilt, playing with scared money, session fatigue etc)?

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can recommend you a wonderful book in which you find many interesting points in the context of the psychological aspects of the game. Jared Tendler "The Mental Game of Poker".

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I also do not quite understand what this is about? If these are stressful situations, then it is curable, if it is gambling addiction, then no.
Ha ha ha

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel that the title is something we rarely talk about. I have a lot to say on this but a bit lazy atm, would prefer to add on to what forum may contribute on this subject, or I'll be back here or some other thread on the Mental challenges of gambling but I strongly feel that this is a rarely discussed subject, & feels albeit a bit intentionally left out
Greetings, I just like many here didn't quite understand what you mean! I think that all problems are solved, there are no issues that cannot be solved! If you do not know how to control your emotions and you are too gambling, then this is your problem and not someone else, try to see a doctor, I think it is being treated! I wish you good luck at the tables and beyond! Play responsibly!

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have come across here the topic of discussion of gambling and its influence on the gambler's addiction to gambling. But I did not see deep discussions about psychology. Probably this is not so important for the majority of the forum.

M

mouTAT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's an interesting subject I ve heard in a podcast about the gambling side of poker when you get out of strategy betting out position the bottom of your range or shoving in bluff without any blockers or a second pair while you tilt ...

L

Lucky_Shark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there's anything to discuss here. The stress of the game will always be no matter what you do.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a mental sport, and like every sport it has to be played in a balanced way without impacting other areas of social life.

E

easy play

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's the most difficult part of the game, dealing with bad beats, tilt and uncertainty.

Nevertheless, downswings can really be challenging mentally. One might lose interest in the game.

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The basic rules of poker are spelled out in many books, observing them and making the right decisions in the game, you defend yourself psychologically. Lost now - won another time.

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Discipline behind your bankroll management is everything. You take care of that it will go a long way for you to make a lot of money and be successful. That psychological trait is indeed important.

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think bankroll management is pretty important and a strong mindset. Gambling addiction could be very harmful and result in big money loss. Also tilting isn’t good for the mental game either as it results in bad play.

DPo320

DPo320

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I noticed that as well, no matter if it's Slot Machine Videos or Poker / blackjack Videos on YouTube or Facebook.
While German Videos most of the time talk about gambling addiction before or during the Video I have never seen this on a Video which was Filmed in the U.S.

Additionally, The Comments Underneath German Gambling videos especially slot machine videos are full of people condemning gambling and sharing stories of relatives that lost their livelihood through a Gambling addiction, I've never seen that underneath an American video

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greetings, I just like many here didn't quite understand what you mean! I think that all problems are solved, there are no issues that cannot be solved! If you do not know how to control your emotions and you are too gambling, then this is your problem and not someone else, try to see a doctor, I think it is being treated! I wish you good luck at the tables and beyond! Play responsibly!
Hey there,

I didn't expect someone to tell me to see a doctor but I found it amusing, nonetheless, not offensive! I've already seen a Psychologist & may return there soon.
Mental challenges of being a life-long Gambler!
I'm someone who has dedicated over 3 years of my life to gambling, & have faced an almost unbearable weight of 1. having a profession which society doesn't accept, potential life partners lost 2. Losing money I can't afford to gamble with 3.Not a solid income 4. Variance 5. Investments outside of Poker, AKA Crypto, going up & down ... I can go on but that's what my post was alluding to if you catch my drift.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Discipline behind your bankroll management is everything. You take care of that it will go a long way for you to make a lot of money and be successful. That psychological trait is indeed important.
Sadly, it's not a trait I've inculcated through my upbringing, I was raised to be someone's employee. not someone who dealt with financial decisions on a daily basis!
So that's the crux of my problem, BRM! Something I will undoubtedly fix, & fix soon! It has to be a practice & not a one time act for a challenge, but a life-long practice.
I'm also very weak to outside external negative influences in my life which destroy my sanity when it comes to Bankroll, in the end, I can't cash Excuses :)

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I noticed that as well, no matter if it's Slot Machine Videos or Poker / Blackjack Videos on YouTube or Facebook.
While German Videos most of the time talk about gambling addiction before or during the Video I have never seen this on a Video which was Filmed in the U.S.

Additionally, The Comments Underneath German Gambling videos especially slot machine videos are full of people condemning gambling and sharing stories of relatives that lost their livelihood through a Gambling addiction, I've never seen that underneath an American video

Wow, thanks for sharing! No wonder germany has so many crushers on the Poker scene, & I can vividly remember a bankroll management video by a German Pro.
You're so right, they'll say Oh well, Poker isn't legal, that's why!"" but you don't see nothing on channels, sites that deal with slots even.
Generally, My O,P was saying how the general community takes it for granted that over 80% of players if not more, are facing intense stress from contemplating a life of gambling. Also, because 80% are employed & don't take gambling seriously, or see it as an expense rather than a venture? I guess my question is for the 20% that have life goals invested in gambling & solely gambling!

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
odds and variance are the most difficult aspects of poker/gambling. Hence its important to have good bankroll management.

Also downswings can be difficult to deal with and adversely affect performance. Its not as easy as people think.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think players react differently to failure, it all depends on character and mental toughness.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't quite understand what you're after here. Hmmm, the mental side of poker. I guess a story I heard Phil Ivey tell might be in order. He returned home one night after losing $250,000 and found his wife crying. He asked her what was wrong. She said she had lost 25 cents in an online poker game. He said that really put his loss in perspective.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hello
I think gambling addiction distracts a person from engaging in other positive activities, or neglects studies and work.
If the player reaches the stage of the gambler and his mood changes, in this case he may suffer from mood swings and problems in social interaction with others and thus the failure of various social relationships and even marital relations.
I think that if he reaches these stages, it is better for him to forget the matter before reaching dangerous stages that may lead him to loss and harm those around him, so it is better to stop at once and resolve to return to his previous normal life with a strong will

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling