horscht22

horscht22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
When u play online, u are not able to use so much psychology so i think u have to use more math...At a live table there are more possibilitie to use both in my opinoin ;)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Poker is based on mathematics, it is necessary. For every decision you make, while factors like psychology play a role, math is a key element.Poker is a whole science based on mathematics and psychology. And which of these two fundamentals is more important in the game, everyone considers in their own way. Poker mathematics consists in counting outs, odds, EV and the like, which helps to correctly calculate your chances of winning and decide whether it is worth fighting in this hand with mathematical points of view.It should be noted that many well-known poker players received higher education in specialties with an emphasis on mathematics. Many professional players believe that mathematics matters, but not as much as psychology.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
So you're suggesting I don't know much about the online poker sites? (when you say 'computer program that regulates online games' ... there isn't a program that regulates online games. BUT there is a certification procedure that is used by an outside party).

I'm not saying you haven't had experience playing online poker but I will suggest that the games you do play aren't a representation of the games on the whole. From the looks of things, you play freerolls. On Stars you've won a few $11 tickets & a $5 ticket that I can see but didn't cash with any of them. On 888Poker you won 1 Cardschat freeroll (Congrats! That must've felt good!).
I've probably played over 4 million cash game hands online (I'm really not sure... but I do know it is LOTS! even on sites I didn't play very much on, I have 100's of thousands of hands).
Compared with MANY other players, I have very little experience with online poker. Have you watched some of the games online? THere are many players who play 50 tournaments per day! (real ones... not freerolls). None of them suggest that the winners are 'pre-determined'. I'm not sure where you get your information to suggest otherwise??? (or is it just based on your experience?)

Sorry if I sound like a disgruntled, angry person. I'm not really... BUT I do get a tiny bit frustrated when I read posts suggesting things like your's has.
Perhaps I should just stop posting on here for awhile. I think maybe I should just keep a thread going that is similar to a blog and leave the rest for others.

I see that we are talking with you about different topics. I haven't suggested that the winners are 'pre-determined' and I haven't suggested that you don't know much about the online poker sites. Computer program really regulates online games. I am talking about the TECHNICAL component of the developer's computer program, which mostly determines certain logical processes or random numbers for a certain circle of participants of this or that online game. Simply in other words, it is the variable percentage of your victory in this or that game. The developers of IT programs are more competent people in these questions than me and could tell you more. In addition, such conclusions are based on my observations and the comparison of "dealers" hands in live poker and online poker.

Last edited:
bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
To understand the basic mathematical concepts is necessary, but than I think concentrate on psychologic and the behaviour of the other players opens the way to play successful.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
what do you use more playing poker Mathematics or Psychology?
I use both mathematics and psychology. In my opinion, both of these components should be combined for good results.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well if youre playing online poker obviously you are going to need more mathematics rather than psychology. Its not needed innit. You are not face to face are ya?

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Math is not that important in Poker surprisingly. Very basic math skills are all that's needed for even a crusher.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I see that we are talking with you about different topics. I haven't suggested that the winners are 'pre-determined' and I haven't suggested that you don't know much about the online poker sites. Computer program really regulates online games. I am talking about the TECHNICAL component of the developer's computer program, which mostly determines certain logical processes or random numbers for a certain circle of participants of this or that online game. Simply in other words, it is the variable percentage of your victory in this or that game. The developers of IT programs are more competent people in these questions than me and could tell you more. In addition, such conclusions are based on my observations and the comparison of "dealers" hands in live poker and online poker.

I fully understood what you were suggesting. And I disagree 100%

Jdawglet

Jdawglet

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Both matter….and depending on many variables such as who’s in the hand, chip stacks, if you’re on the bubble or ITM. If your on the bubble and you’re 3 smallest stack…the math may not matter and you may fold to the chip leader…because even though the odds are in your favour at the start of the hand…the flop can change that quickly. On the flop side…if I’m a big enough chip leader..,I may not care that my 45 off is not favoured when I raise because knowing my opponent means I know they’ll fold their 10-J.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Between the two I would say Psychology it's a little bit more relevant to my decision making.

Last edited:
surfer696

surfer696

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Both mathematics and psychology are important in poker, but it largely depends on the type of game you are playing and your personal playing style. Mathematics allows you to calculate your winning probabilities and determine the amount of money you should bet to maximize your long-term earnings. Psychology enables you to read your opponents and understand their behavior patterns, which can inform your decision-making process. In summary, both mathematics and psychology are important in poker and complement each other. To be a successful player, you need a good understanding of both and know how to apply them in different game situations

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Both! Mathematics in working out the number of outs I might have in any given hand, plus the odds of a hand making it against the size of betting levels, plus Psychology when it comes to bluffing a player off a hand.
You need to use both during a game.

lacroir

lacroir

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
"Developer of IT program" guy here: RNGs are quite advanced and do a really good job on giving a number which can be considered really random. So on the long run it will give an uniform distribution of all possibilities. Suggest you to read about pseudo random number generators or the related algorithm they are using before taking such conclusions without even going into the subject and understanding how these algorithms are really working.

lacroir

lacroir

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Replying to the thread's question itself: I think in online poker, math is way more important than psychology. You don't see the people, their reaction, their behaviour to deduct proper tells. Sure, you should be able to see when someone is on tilt or thinks they are on a winning/losing streak, but that's all.
In live poker it's different, there of course you still need some math but I think the psychology plays much more role there.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
My conclusion so far after reading your comments is the following:
1 - I don't have to take math into account in my poker game because RNG will eliminate me... I have to throw AA because the one who has 7 2 will eliminate me because he has more chips
2 - I have to take into account mathematics in my poker game because that is what the rules of poker are based on
3 - I don't have to rely on luck
4 - I have to rely on luck
5 - Psychologically, I have to put pressure on my opponent
6 - Psychologically, I must not act when pressure is put on me
I'm still waiting for comments, I'm sure that after I read more I'll become a good football player....
Please take it as a pamphlet, all the situations described are real
:p :p :p

labatho

labatho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
HU
Chips
I think it is like beliveing God or not. When you are in a situation, there could be people, who are trusting in the numbers, the other part is more trusting in psychology. There are only a couple of human on the earth, who are intelligent enough, to combine both together. It is my opinion.

044hero

044hero

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are needed to be, there are many space for mind games in poker, if you are know the spot, opening range of opps position etc. Also math giving you way more easily make decions with different stack amounts, spots, odds etc) So both must be in harmonic balance with you and your playstyle)

T

tiptools

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Both are importand ,,math gives you just an odds information ,,however, your final decision will also be related to other factors

N

njrbj4321

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Most often psychology because there is a lot of luck in the game.

olejean

olejean

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
"Developer of IT program" guy here: RNGs are quite advanced and do a really good job on giving a number which can be considered really random. So on the long run it will give an uniform distribution of all possibilities. Suggest you to read about pseudo random number generators or the related algorithm they are using before taking such conclusions without even going into the subject and understanding how these algorithms are really working.

Glad for you that you know all about random number generators or the related algorithm they are using. :LOL:

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think that both are inevitably used and a natural thing for those with seniority. However focused you are on the players and whatever decision you made your brain did a bunch of calculations automatically,This being the first thing that happens when you receive the hand 😉