• Start date
J

Jens Kristian Hvolboel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys

I hope this is the right forum for this. In a few weeks I am going to write a big assignment about poker. The assignment has to be math oriented, so I am therefore looking for litterature about the math in poker, and not a simplified version of this but a more complex use of math in poker. Do you know any books that uses complex math to explain and play poker?

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Mathematics of Poker by Bill Chen and Jerrod Ankenman is considered the standard setter in this area. However, it is a very dense book, not for the faint of heart. At least one training site had a series on understanding the book.

True story: I heard Chen interviewed on the old Poker Road podcast, where he said his book was aimed at the novice. So, considering that Chen had just won two wsop bracelets I ordered a copy as soon as it became available. Halfway through the introduction, I knew that I was over my head. So, it happens that one of the players in our regular home game was a math professor, known to lecture internationally. I assumed he would get something out of the book. He looked it over and came to the conclusion that he played poker for fun, preferring not to take his work home with him. :eek:

David Skalansky's Theory of Poker is a math based book, that is much more accessible. I think it's fair to say that a lot of current poker thinking grows out of Skalansky's work.

Cheers!

Latamgrinder

Latamgrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
* Poker math that matters by Owen Gains

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aside from Mathematics of poker and Theory of poker, I came. across also No limit holdem, theory and practice by Sklansky and Miller.

All hard to read especially if no background on mathematics.

D

Doh123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
However, it is a very dense book, not for the faint of heart. At least one training site had a series on understanding the book.

Can you please link some ? (If it is allowed to post other sites links)
Thanks

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can you please link some ? (If it is allowed to post other sites links)
Thanks

You can find them both on Amazon. Also, on Amazon the analgesics you'll need for your headache while digging through these books. :p Regarding the training site, it charges a fee.

BTW, there is a Mathematics of Poker study thread here on CardsChat.

Cheers!

Last edited:
D

Doh123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can find them both on Amazon. Also, on Amazon the analgesics you'll need for your headache while digging through these books. :p Regarding the training site, it charges a fee.

BTW, there is a Mathematics of Poker study thread here on CardsChat.

Cheers!

No, I meant education videos based on that difficult math book on training sites. Links to training video sessions
Ty

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I meant education videos based on that difficult math book on training sites. Links to training video sessions
Ty

Again, the training site is a fee site. A subscription is required. If you are still interested PM me.

Cheers!

MrBadAss

MrBadAss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really think that videos are much better than books, but if i had to read one would be from the training site RIO