Make poker an Olympic Sport

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody wants to watch girls in tight shorts play softball, why would they want to watch dozens of old men sitting?

That would make the girls in tight shorts more appealing.:D

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bridge is recognized. look it up at olympics.org under sports. Sumo is recognized. Orienteering is recognized. Not much athleticism in that. Poker is more than just sitting on your kiester.

ok bridge i have no idea and if it really is an olympic sport then the only reason i can think of is because of the immense mental strategy involded (and no poker doesnt have anywhere near the strategy of bridge, and its more of a chance/luck game then bridge).

However, you just make yourself look worse and worse when u say sumo and orienteering have not much athleticism. Yea sumos are fat but believe me there is a lot of muscle and strength there. Orienteering, i take it you have never tried because doing what they isnt just as easy as following a compass like im sure what your thinking

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Orienteering is recognized. Not much athleticism in that.

I take it you have never done Orienteering ? I have. It involves a run of several miles over rough terrain.

P

poker2012

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll give you that. there is a lot of runnubg. But the point is that any activity with a governing body can become reconized by the IOC. All we need, as poker players, is support from within.

HartAttack3

HartAttack3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll give you that. there is a lot of runnubg. But the point is that any activity with a governing body can become reconized by the IOC. All we need, as poker players, is support from within.

well when beer pong becomes an olympic sport maybe ill consider makin a push for poker but come on, are you serious? Only problem is like was said earlier, if poker becomes a sport what about games like solitaire? Chess? (even though that one could potentially have an argument lol) Backgammon? Dice throwing? The olympics were originated to be a PHYSICAL contest, I think having poker as an olympic SPORT would be a disgrace to the Greeks and everyone who is an olympic athlete.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i throw my dice the bestest.

better than you!

They need a chip shuffling event, i can do 14 now!

Wild Rivers

Wild Rivers

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On further reflection I think we CC'ers could make a significant and relevant contribution to the concept of "Olympic Poker". We could turn it into a decathlon of sorts by adding sub-events straight out of CC. For example, I would propose we extend the "Phind Philthy a Photo Contest" to Olympian status, as well as a "find the freeroll password" competition. There's tons of possibilities...any other suggestions?:)

wickedlovely

wickedlovely

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But the point is that any activity with a governing body can become reconized by the IOC. All we need, as poker players, is support from within.

Okay, so here's a real problem for me. Your website claims this get poker recognized as an Olympic sport is supported by the "International Poker Federation Association." Exactly who are this group? Who are there leaders? What have they accomplished? In other words, what makes them legitimate enough for any poker player to want to support them?

The IPFA website is a blank on all accounts.

Poker players already have a worldwide non-profit association--the WPA. Do they support this drive? In fact, do any professional, respected players or individuals associated with poker support this?

J

jame7231

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Olympics...?? I don't see how poker would fit into the olympics.... How about speed reading in the olympics..? lol

Genso Hikki

Genso Hikki

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bridge is not an Olympic sport. It appears at neither the summer or the winter games and no medals are awarded for it. It is, however recognized as part of the THE GENERAL ASSOCIATION OF INTERNATIONAL SPORTS FEDERATIONS (GAISF). Chess is also one of the "sports" recognized this way. However, simply because the IOC recognizes these organizations, that doesn't make it an Olympic sport.

More info. can be found here:

INTERNATIONAL OLYMPIC COMMITTEE - SPORTS

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why should the women do jumping jacks? The men should as well! While wearing bicycling shorts or some other equally moose-knuckle revealing garment. Fair's fair.

I'm just saying. That I'd watch.

On second thought. I really don't wanna see Greg Raymer or Gavin Smith(the list is actually much longer), in anything remotely revealing. Nor do I want to watch them doing jumping jacks. I take it back. No jumping jacks from either gender. It's just a bad idea.

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
now this might be some canibus talking but pokah is the only chance that one of us could be in the olympics
do u want to participate in the olympics
they got my vote

KingNothing4

KingNothing4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha geeez cant make poker an olympic sport, it is funny that they show it mostly only on sports channels, but it is not a sport by n e means. it cannot be an olympic sport, pretty funny idea tho.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't figure it out either but a 17 year old from Nebraska(I think) explained it to me. The E in ESPN apparently stands for Entertainment. Poker's pretty entertaining. There ya go.

Now explain why I used to watch championship logging after tennis tournaments ended?

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Maybe they could put online poker in too.

I usually lay on the couch with my laptop on my chest smoking cigarettes. Now there's athleticism:cool: .

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol if poker is an olympic sport thenn ppl would lobby for blackjack to be an olympic sport

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Orienteering not a sport ? As a former Irish all-army champion :) (true) it can involve up to 50km treks over some of the worst terrain youll come across, reading a compass, planning a route and running the whole time. No easy, and not something I can do anymore.

Same goes for Sumo, these guys put in some insane training. Poker as an olympic sport you sir have a little to much time on your hands. Acually now that i think about it, we could run a series of freeroll qualifiers......

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Orienteering is recognized. Not much athleticism in that.

You ever tried that :eek: running all over the countryside, up and down hills etc., in the rain and wind all-day :confused:

And while we are at it - drugs tests?? it is well known a certain number of pro's have used the odd pill or powder before now - how would that go down in the Olympic labs :)

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
84% will test positive for some kind of illegal substance

arkadiy

arkadiy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Olympic = physical
Poker = mental

Conflict #1 = Found

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So make it physical? Hmmm, well, let's see there's a few guys I'd like to pounce on. That's physical. And a bunch of, don't get me started but they are technically people who I would love to beat senseless, and not in a good way. There's your physicality right there :D.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We could resolve the "physical" problem.

For example, a poker table could be the size of an olympic stadium. Cards are stone blocks and the player on the button is required to carry them to the players and place the board cards in the center of the stadium.

If a player makes certain number of donkish moves, they can be issued a donkey to help them carry the cards.

There can be other exemptions as well. For example, in the case of Vanessa Rousso or Isabel "No Mercy" Mercier, there could be an exemption from carrying the cards provided they wear skimpy swimming suits.:D

If you have any other ideas, let's hear them.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
What about Marbles, thats physically demanding on the thumb and mentally demanding also,
Or Three Stooges style eye poking, the list is endless.

Mugetsu

Mugetsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel dumber after reading this. Much much dumber.