thwenth1983

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The skill almost always wins

Good to all, poker is a game of skill, where the luck factor has its percentage.
In my opinion it's 80% skill and 20% luck.
Poker has that, playing a single hand any player can beat a very good player, but in the long run this very good player will most of the time make the best decisions.
A proof that skill has a much higher percentage is the cash game, it is very unlikely that a player without skill and technical knowledge will be able to play for 5 hours of cash game at NL500 and be profitable.

mavrulit

mavrulit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I completely agree with you! I used to think that luck in poker was more important than skill, but when I started playing thoughtfully and playing more responsibly, I noticed that the results got much better. But no one is insured against mistakes. And luck in all matters is important.

miskaapo62

miskaapo62

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 60% of luck, even 40% of knowledge dominates the game!

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Obviously, a successful game requires both factors, skill and luck. But in my opinion, the skill of the player is the basis of long-term success.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take a look at the top pros, such as Dan Harrington, Phil Helmuth, Daniel Negreanu, and Phil Ivey:

They are always in the top of the player list, and it's not possible for the same group to be lucky all the time. What happens, though, with these players, is that they know how to play, and find themselves in situations more often, than we do, where luck can be a factor, and more often than not, they make the right decision.

Why, because they know how to play lucky situations. What I'm saying might not make much sense to you, but watch these guys. They are good in all poker situations, including the lucky situations. These guys don't play on intuition. They play on skill, and history. For them pure luck, is not even on their list.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Both. But we need much more skill than luck.

Subel007

Subel007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main thing is skill but luck also need.

Kennemelo

Kennemelo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That feeling when you 3bet the flop with a flush draw and it hits the turn. of course skill!:D:D

WDStipa

WDStipa

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
I don't read books about poker or take courses, although I think it could be beneficial.

In poker you can't rely on luck. You can have luck on some tournament, but you can't have it constantly. So, skill is what you need to be long term successful in poker.

Same is with bad luck. If you are currently unlucky on table, you need to be aware that it can't last forever. Don't let that upset your game plan, or game style. That is something I am dealing with. I need to stay calm in those situation when a period of bad luck occurs.

If your long term results in poker are not good don't blame it on luck. Don't be stubborn and stop acting like you are a victim of a bad luck. If long term is not going well, that means you need to change your game.

With time we can improve our skills, but we can't do nothing about luck.

kuselbroo2

kuselbroo2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
skill, of course, you need to add a bag of luck as well

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its very true

I know many players whom have studied poker and spent hours obtaining knowledge to become the best poker player they can be. There are others that play on pure instinct and feeling (intuition); They let that intuition guide their game and, at many times, take down those Poker Scholars. What type of poker player are you?

100% skill and 20% luck .

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker is a game of skill, study, work and a lot of discipline, but it also has its percentage of luck as in any sport, otherwise it would be boring, so we should study a lot, the key is in that, in the beginning you will not need it, but when you get to climb levels, you will need it urgently,

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a Balance

Over my years playing it has become obvious to me that you must not only play skillfully but, also, occasionally "get lucky"

Everyone has experienced the scenario where they have played a hand as skillfully as possible, but find themselves beat till the river, and then hit the card they needed to win the hand

Skill and, sometimes, Luck, make a poker champion

TC

B

Blaze768

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Over my years playing it has become obvious to me that you must not only play skillfully but, also, occasionally "get lucky"

Everyone has experienced the scenario where they have played a hand as skillfully as possible, but find themselves beat till the river, and then hit the card they needed to win the hand

Skill and, sometimes, Luck, make a poker champion

TC
takes a bit of both :icon_sant

D

Dannyzandro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always learned that over a weekend it's 90% luck, over a month it's 60% luck, over a year it's 30% luck and over a lifetime it's 10% luck.

S

slothi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think to be a successful poker player you have to make good decisions….and to make a good decision you have to know why you are doing or why you are not doing things…..that doesn’t mean that you win every hand you made a good decision…..but you will much more often win a hand than the one who don’t know why he win or loose.

PeLLeTTi

PeLLeTTi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is, we are not denying it, but as speaking, in the long run.

If you think luck has more relevance, I make the following deal:
1 die has 6 sides.
If we play it:
- every time the number 1 or 2 appears I pay you 1 dollar
- every time the number 3, 4, 5, or 6 appears you pay me 1 dollar

If we play just a few times, you might win more money than I do (by sheer luck) but not in the long run.