Is Luck the Most Important Thing in Poker?

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Luck certainly plays a big part in Poker as I found to my benefit once, I was losing pretty badly and down to about 8 big blinds when I was dealt pocket 10s on the button.
So I raised pre-flop and the small blind and big blind both called, and my initial reaction was Damn I should have pushed all in.
The flop came J,5,5, rainbow and both blinds checked so I thought oh well I have two pair might as well do what I should have done in the first place and I shoved all in.
My friend who was on the BB looked at me as if I was stupid and called He had J,5 suited and said "I have a boat" and everyone at the table was laughing at me, one even remarked that he had folded Dollies (10,2) So I was in big trouble, a Queen hit the turn (more laughter) and I rivered the case 10.
BOOM! bigger boat.
I won the hand and went on to win the game but my friend never spoke to me again, so I leave it up to you, Did I win or did lose?

S

Sooted7s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes luck is a very important thing. Although there is some skill to it, you could realistically go all in every single hand no matter what 2 cards and win. Obviously you don't do that because you would eventually lose 1 time.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is possible to say that luck is one of the most important components in poker. The most important thing is the professional skill of the player to make the right and exact decisions in the current game situation.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important thing is to take the better decision every hand

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No luck just variance. Make the best decision and move on.

D

dioor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is the least influential in the game

E

emisalvo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think luck is the most important thing, but at certain times it is necessary to have a bit of it, especially when you make a bad move!

R

ritz_avalanche

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The harder I work the luckier I get

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course it is. It is one of the most important part of the game and if do not have, its very very hard to win without any luck and only with right decisions and plays. If one game include gambling, then you always need luck to win.

C

Chicungulla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is not the most important part, but it plays a decisive role when it comes to playing, especially if you are short on chips.

J

jorgejarapy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that luck has an influence when it comes to winning, but it is not the most important since winning really depends on each player

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
May be luck is not the most important,but is obligatory in pokker.

L

Luqitazzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that it is for my 50 and 50, you can play your hand in the right way but the bad card falls in the river and you went ... although obviously there are more that you are going to win than lose, now if you bet to have lucky you went

felipem29

felipem29

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
something of everything

I think that more than luck it is like knowing how to play, at what time to bet, raise or go all in, even when not to go when it is a couple of aces, in general I think it is 30% lucky and 70% how to play.:)

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that luck in poker is important, but for me most important are the strategy and maths 🙂

Sorry for my english 😬

L

lolshovaments

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely not. But I believe is more than just 10% depending on the kind of game you are playing. I mean... if you are grinding real hard, luck will be less important over time. But if you are just giving a shot in a random spin and go, it has a lot of influence in your results.

Other thing: when you are playing online, you can grind several tables/tournaments at the same time, but when you are playing live you just have to sit and wait, hand after hand, few hands/hour. Is other game and the influence of skill versus luck is different to measure.

Live poker is easier but is also hard to beat the variance in the short term. online poker is other story, you can control the luck factor a little better if you have the math skills and knows how to interpretate stats and graphics.

T

TheDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heck no. Luck is a valuable commodity but not even close to the most important thing in poker. Bank roll management, composure, reasonable math skills, ability to read poker players, etc. are just some of the components that are much more important than luck. A player that relies on luck will never get very far in poker.

raul400368

raul400368

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, luck does not exist. The most important thing is the POSITIVE mental attitude that we have when playing. and Secondly the game strategies.

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck can help you at a certain moment, but in the long run without a solid strategy, luck is not worth anything

S

Sebarios59

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is a factor, but the most important thing is the strategy and training to constantly improve in poker.

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An old proverb goes like this: "When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with the money, and the man with the money leaves with experience."

While in the short term there is a lot of luck in poker, over time the better player will ALWAYS end up with the money.

fruittree

fruittree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck comes and Luck goes. When you win a poker tourny...many say: your luck went well! When you lose a tourny..many say: you ran out of luck. The truth is....skill will put you in position to cash. Patience will put you in position to move up the bumps in payouts. Skill and Luck can take you to the final table. But ultimately: Patience, Luck, And mostly Skill will make you a tournament Champion! No one wins, without all three. Luck, Patience,and Skill are all needed as a poker player. Mr. Moneymaker proved my theory.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is luck the most important thing in poker? No, don't be silly. Having a bag of weed is the most important thing in poker.

M

masha535

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck factor. That's what they call the impact on poker outcomes. It all depends on how much you play. In one hand, luck is of the utmost importance, but if you play a million hands, its effect on your winrate will be scanty. In addition, the importance of luck depends on the type of poker you play, your playing style, your advantage over your opponents, and a number of other factors. If someone tells you a certain percentage (for example, says that in poker everything depends on luck by 70%), feel free to send him away, because this person has no idea what he is talking about.
The only importance of luck in poker is that if luck didn’t play any role, the chips would not play, because it is luck that gives them the opportunity to win from time to time. Yes, and players of medium strength would be less interested, because they could not attribute their mediocre results to bad luck. These blame the bad players, the dealer, fate, and generally anything, but not themselves and their plain-looking poker skills for their failures.

L

lezghin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
without a doubt luck is the most important part of the game of poker. sometimes you have two aces or two kings on your hands .. and the opponent wins with two triples ... when it seems that victory is close you suddenly lose everything .. then also .. You leave the tournament .. but it seems to me, besides good luck, you still need to have patience:2in1::2in1: