Luck in Turbo Tournaments

rileyl

rileyl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been around this board for awhile now and noticed that it is a common beleif that turbo tournaments require more luck than other tourneys. I totally disagree with this statement and here's why:

Turbo tourneys definately different than regular tourneys and require a different skill set.

They put an emphasis on strong preflop play rather than post flop play because of the fast blind increases. Many people beleive that because of this, turbo's are all luck. They don't realize that they have to adapt their game for the different structure.

Playing 2 $3.25 45 man turbo S&G's at a time, over my last 100 or so games I have a ROI of about 50%. I know it not a huge sample, but I think it shows that these tournaments aren't just luck.

I just wanted to get that information across because I am tired of hearing about turbos being all luck.

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like turbo tournaments than those long 15min blind increases!! i like games that finish early where the blinds eats up the chips keeping the players up their toes. Bluffs are all around the table and everybody's getting a read on each other's moves!! this is where the skills are born... LOL!!!

B

berta1950

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i also like turbo tournaments for the fact that it doesnt take six or seven hours to get through a tournament. there is a certain skill needed to play and is not totally a game of luck. berta1950

KidFlopadelic

KidFlopadelic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good post, I agree with u that it requires a different skill set and much more pre-flop play and strategy relative to position. BUT, I also think the LUCK does factor into it POST-flop more than it would in a standard structure game. One reason being that if you are raising pre-flop in EP with Q9s to push out any small pps or small aces, it may backfire on u when that cowboy calls with his raggy ace and stays to the river. I like turbos sometimes, but I find there are a lot of different goofy styles clashing in these games at high speed and the luck of the turn and river dictates who gets ITM when all the chips are in pre-flop.

50% is a great ROI, but I guarantee it won't last, on-line variance will always have the last word on that subject, regardless of experience and skills.