Lost in the jungle of Poker - asking for advice

B

BarryBlue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,

I am a 26 year old poker player from germany. I am/was mainly playing MTT’s - I built up a 350$ bankroll from 50$ and yesterday my bankroll hit the 0 :( I know that my mistake was not using bankroll managment - I played way too expensive tourneys... I try to educate myself as much as possible - I read pokerstarsschool, I bought the post flop instructions from Upswing and I generally feel completely lost in the jungle of Poker. There are so many different websites and guides and I would like to find sth. that will complete my knowledge from A-Z in terms of (specially) playing MTT’s. I know that there is the RYE Masterclass but unfortunately 1200$ is way too much for me atm :/

Thanks to upswing Poker I got to know the RFI (Raise First In) charts. Unfortunately I still don’t feel it when it comes to calling a raise, I dont know when to shove and with which cards etc etc etc... I just feel like I know a few things but then there are holes in my knowledge that should be filled.

Can you guys recommend me sth. to build up my poker knowledge and understanding with a good knowledge basis which is free content?

Thanks in advance! <3

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
How did you inflate your bankroll from $50 to $350?Was it just a bink or a grinding where you have edge over your opponents?

I read and watch also Upswing and RYE but for my personal reasons I play only freerolls and small buy ins tournaments. Those strategy articles we are following both are for cash/MTTs plays against a random regular player.You must have in your mind that a recreational will never suspect why are you check raise him or why you lead river, he keeps calling you down with his second pair and his funny kicker because he doesn't understand what you are trying to represent here.

Maybe you overthink for the stakes you are/were playing , maybe you were not prepared for the stakes you were taking your shots and you were playing with scared money.This is the worst thing a poker player can ever make, be afraid to lost his buy in by limiting his play or checking back instead of doing his move.The reason why you bust your bankroll you know it only you!

Me personally, I watch whenever I can streams on Twitch from micro to high stakes regulars and I have benefited from that. I am posting here some hands in the tournament hand analysis section, I am not advertising here CC, but there are some really good posters and most of the times they helped me with my though process.I read articles and watch some content on Youtube and I review my past plays with my HUD.

Since you are here start posting and gain access to the freerolls , seriously you have nothing to lose otherwise find a reason to build again your bankroll but most importantly enjoy the game!

Good Luck :)

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey man. It seems like you know how you lost your BR as you said it yourself; poor management! My guess is you took some bad beats and jumped the stakes, and i’m sure almost everyone has been in the same situation. I know I have.

The best thing to do is start again, force yourself to stay strict in the lower stakes until you hit a certain point in your bankroll! I’m pretty sure you can block yourself from certain stakes until you hit a certain point in BR on pokerstars, but I’m not 100% on that.

You are on the right track to becoming a better player and so you just have to be persistent.

For MTT there is so much content online for free. If you wish to look more in-depth then I recommend searching up some books to help you improve on fundamental knowledge to the tourneys. There are even books for the stakes you wish to play at and can help for both cash and MTT’s (for example Johnathan Little is probably someone to turn to for this; Mastering Small Stakes No-Limit Hold'em: Strategies to Consistently Beat Small Stakes Tournaments and Cash Games).

Just take things slowly, spend more time away from the tables and keep strict on your BRM and you will improve well over time. If you ever feel stuck or wish to look at a hand more in-depth (which is always a great way to learn) then put it into Cardschat and you will get some awesome answers :)

Goodluck!

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Descrescimo Bankroll

I have the same problems, and I hope that reading the articles and participating in this forum and playing your freerolls in the future I better my game also feel I have good performances but I do not bankroll management and idenfico flaws in my game

Pair together evolve and hopefully in cardschat we have good quality articles and can exchange experiences of qualities with other players.:jd4:

B

BarryBlue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys! Is there any explicit youtube content that you recommend concerning MTT’s?

I will start with JL book.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What i would recommend is to first start with cardschat very simple table and advices here:

https://www.cardschat.com/poker-starting-hands.php

You can also watch the videos and read the articles at the poker stars school. They are both free and try to teach you to play tight aggressive. You may ask why tight aggressive when some pros are playing loose aggressive but the explanation is very simple - strong hands are easier to play and it is less likely for a new play to play them wrong. Your first goal should be to play your strong hands with maximum efficiency and at later stage you may add new techniques to allow you to widen your range and get money also from weaker hands. Cardschat's freerolls are very good way to practice and build bankroll for free which will allow you to continue with low stakes SNG, MTT, cash or whatever you want later. Bankroll management is the most important thing when you build initial bankroll and start playing with it. Be patient, have good bankroll management, try to constantly improve your game and results will steadily come.

MrSkinny

MrSkinny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone,
I built up a 350$ bankroll from 50$ and yesterday my bankroll hit the 0 :(

Heya BarryBlue ~

To get an idea where you're at in your progress add a bit more info to the above: how many hands & tournies to go 50->350->0, and over how long? It'll give an idea of consistency.

Have fun,
Mr Skinny

HypnoT0AD

HypnoT0AD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can feel a little overwhelming, but try and start with micro stakes, and make your mistakes there.

Once you are losing less and winning more, then move up, but I find it best to both play and study.

B

BarryBlue

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Heya BarryBlue ~

To get an idea where you're at in your progress add a bit more info to the above: how many hands & tournies to go 50->350->0, and over how long? It'll give an idea of consistency.

Have fun,
Mr Skinny

Hi! I got 10th place in the 7.50 BB. Played very disciplined and tight in the beginning, later on I got more loose and took coinflip with middle/high pairs against short stacks. I am ITM pretty often but fall out very often right after the bubble so I don´t really make profit. 2 days after the 10th place I got 7th place in the Micro Triple Threat. And well, after all this I started playing too expensive tourneys and lost it all.

Bounty Builders are definitely my favourite type of tourney. I like to play the Big 1.10/2.20 aswell.

Greetings

BarryBlue

B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't read any poker books. Until I joined CC I never read anything about poker. I wii have to admit that reading posts in the CC forum has improved my game. I was a pretty good player before I joined CC and I credited my success to my math skills. I understand odds, percentages, and such. Brush up on a little math and your game may improve, I feel it helps anyway.:D:D

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
well you answered some of your question. Strict bankroll management is very important to a long term profitable mtt poker player. There is a lot of good info on youtube and twitch poker that is free. RYE has a cheaper class than the masterclass, still expensive but a bit less that the 1200$ one.