Losing Interest in Online Poker

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two things that would instantly rekindle my desire to play:

1) Full Tilt comes back, gives me my bankroll back, and offers significant "welcome back" promos

2) Zynga makes a foray into real money games, ushering a new era of online open fishing season

P

peedee91

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i am the same way....i used to solely play on full tilt but since black friday ive been playing a bunch of different sites with no single one that i play everyday

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad plays on top of bad plays, this is not just poker, I know there are ups and downs, but bad play after bad play and then they get rewarded, its no longer of interest for me to play online. I haven't posted here in awhile and I think I am going to move on to live poker, at least then I can see the person that makes that bad play instead of wasting my time and money.

I get the whole post BF sadness... but that part up there^^^ There is a huge fundamental error in your approach and mindset.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get the whole post BF sadness... but that part up there^^^ There is a huge fundamental error in your approach and mindset.

I agree BUT ..... I've only recently (3-4 months ago) made the jump from cash to STT. After initially running well for 2-3 months, and by "well" I mean about even EV-wise, then to go on a huge downswing where I'm 35+ BI below EV in a 150 game stretch...... I can see OP's point. Not sayin' I'm quitting or anything, but I can understand OP's frustration. Just have to have faith that things will turn around.....eventually.......come-on "eventually".....come-on "eventually"..........:icon_thum

Shwiggler

Shwiggler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad plays on top of bad plays, this is not just poker, I know there are ups and downs, but bad play after bad play and then they get rewarded, its no longer of interest for me to play online.

I totally get where you are coming from here. I'm in the US and have been playing on Bovada at 50NL. You have to play basic, boring ABC poker to make any money on this site now, which gets tedious and boring. You can no longer play the player on the site because a) you can't track who the player is and b) almost no one folds pre-flop and will call down anything. This can be good if you get the cards, but if not your screwed. There will be no bluffing, and it's really hard to determine how to value bet profitably.

I'm not saying it can't be profitable to play these games, but it's definitely not the same intellectual game that it use to be.

IWinUlose

IWinUlose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online poker

I tend to agree with you I myself am losing interest in online poker because being from USA there are only so many sites you play at and at times I'm afraid to deposit because the DOJ can do anything at anytime to merge and cake like they did to the other sites. And then the suckouts are just increbible at least to me anymore. For me I think I'm going to play live more and it's easy for me being Harrah's of Phila is only 15 mins. from my home and they have some real nice low BI's that pay well. :)

N

nightmoves44

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker interest

I have lost alot of interest too,and don't play nearly as much as before.I'd rather play in cardschat games,than alot of other games
I hope someday,the people we elect will do their jobs.Most everyone in Congress needs voted out.They are even too afraid to pass a budget.So,lets vote them out and get people who will do the job.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not saying it can't be profitable to play these games, but it's definitely not the same intellectual game that it use to be.

Good gracious. You take the intellectual game... I'll take the one that's easy to win. ;)

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I now play very little online poker except in Cardschat games and in games organised by a couple of other forums. I do okay in these games both freerolls and buy ins but in public games I just cannot seem to stay in there until the end to make it worthwhile.

A

alainfrig

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i make money in live poker but when it come to online poker i go up and then drop down to 0

P

pokerb0t

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i make money in live poker but when it come to online poker i go up and then drop down to 0

Live poker is a very different game to online poker though. It's quite a difficult transition moving in either direction. I find the online players make a better transition to live play, than the reverse, more often than not, as online players tend to have better fundamentals.

T-Dubs82

T-Dubs82

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i felt the same way a few months ago, took 3 weeks off, came back rejuvenated

D

Durrin

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think every body has had the same feeling

T

TheBowlBoy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel bad for the lack of freedom in the land of the free :(

Hopefully legislation comes sooner rather than later, and hopefully they realize that international player pools are best for everybody.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with what alot of people have said on here. Ive lost some interest so I have not deposited in quite a while. Hopefully something will get worked out by the end of the year and we will have better sites to play online as a US poker player than just the Merge and Cake networks.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd just like to say that I'm thankful for CC. No, I don't like to see other players down. But I'm glad to see that it's not just me who isn't taking this well.

For me, I don't think it's just the poker. I think it's that our government has gone completely rouge on us. For instance, people have been using medical marijuana in California for years, and now all of a sudden, the federal government has decided they're going to put an end to it. It's like a bug crawled up someone's a-- over at Justice and the rest of us have to pay for it.

I don't know, maybe it's just because the political season is upon us. As a libertarian (live and let live), both parties in the two party shell game are always such miserable choices. The "choices" are: shoot myself in the right foot or shoot myself in the left foot. Yeah, I can really get excited about that.

Oh well, I hope to be playing again soon. Definitely not now. Just not in the mood.

Good luck to all who are playing and enjoying it!

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apart from the CC league and the odd freeroll I have not played any serious poker for 6 to 8 weeks. Had some time at the weekend and played a $11 buy in PS with 209 players and came second for just over $300. Looks like the break was good for me.

F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hear ya with the cashout thing ... i have almost $200 on Carbon, but i kinda view it as play money that i will likely never see

IWinUlose

IWinUlose

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know if I'm losing interest in online poker as much as I'm getting sick and tired of playing good hands and losing far too many suckouts on the river. Makes for a bad run as of late and maybe I just need a little break for awhile. It gets frustrating and I know it's poker but still it gets to you. CH72

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd just like to say that I'm thankful for CC. No, I don't like to see other players down. But I'm glad to see that it's not just me who isn't taking this well.

For me, I don't think it's just the poker. I think it's that our government has gone completely rouge on us. For instance, people have been using medical marijuana in California for years, and now all of a sudden, the federal government has decided they're going to put an end to it. It's like a bug crawled up someone's a-- over at Justice and the rest of us have to pay for it.

I don't know, maybe it's just because the political season is upon us. As a libertarian (live and let live), both parties in the two party shell game are always such miserable choices. The "choices" are: shoot myself in the right foot or shoot myself in the left foot. Yeah, I can really get excited about that.

Oh well, I hope to be playing again soon. Definitely not now. Just not in the mood.

Good luck to all who are playing and enjoying it!

This!

I play but since FTP shut down, not nearly as much and after having my balances stolen at so many sites over the years, just figure it's all play money.

Gary Johnson who unfortunately got no traction as a Republican nominee, is running as the Libertarian candidate and as such has no chance. Other than Ron Paul, he was the only one who believes people should be treated as adults. Johnson is a fiscal conservative, social libertarian and holds a philosophy of limited government. Johnson is in favor of simplifying and reducing taxes. During his governorship, Johnson cut taxes fourteen times and never increased them.

He is also a strong pro poker proponent.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Johnson sounds like a helluva guy. Too bad he has, basically, no chance. Our two-party system is so broken and corrupt, but they still hold all the power.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gary Johnson who unfortunately got no traction as a Republican nominee, is running as the Libertarian candidate and as such has no chance. Other than Ron Paul, he was the only one who believes people should be treated as adults.

California is having its first "open primary" this year, so I actually get to vote in a primary election for once. So I will definitely vote for Ron Paul just as a show of support.

Oh, and I'll be voting NO on the cigarette tax as well, even though I'm not a smoker. Cigarette tax today, soda tax tomorrow, red meat tax the day after that, etc.

As for the general election, I'm not sure if I'll vote for the libertarian candidate or write in Ron Paul.

Our two-party system is so broken and corrupt, but they still hold all the power.

And probably always will, unfortunately. I just don't see it getting any better.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The same thing is happening to me. Far to many bad beats and I can't take it anymore. The last four times I had ace king vs ace queen, ace queen won. Pocket kings or aces seems to always be a suck out. Any idea on how to cope?

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Our two-party system is so broken and corrupt, but they still hold all the power.

And probably always will, unfortunately. I just don't see it getting any better.

Yeah, this is the real problem. Even if good, honest people with good ideas get involved in politics they are soon corrupted by the "machine", money, and power. And, the days of being able to change things from the outside are, I fear, a thing of the past. The major partys are just too well organized, too rich, and too well-connected to ever allow an "outsider" to generate any meaningful change.