Is losing with four of a kind a once in a lifetime experience?

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, yes, but... I think you may have misunderstood me. I don't mean that slowplaying is something you should do "rarely" for the sake of doing it not often. Slowplaying should be done rarely because the conditions in which it is correct occurs so rarely. Having a monster is only one condition that needs to be met. The pot also needs to be small, your opponents need to be likely to fold if you bet, AND they need to have some reasonable chance to improve if you check. As in, you don't slowplay rarely just to make it a rare occurence, you slowplay rarely because the appropriate situation in which to slowplay presents itself so very rarely.

Now I completely understand where you are coming from and agree, this is straight out of Poker Theory - Sklansky, I needed a little refreser course as to the reasoning.

Thanks

Lik

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had it done in Holdem, had KK, flop came KKA, I slowplayed, hoped he had an A, he went all in, I called had AA, a full house and turn was a J, river was the forth A.

narizblanco

narizblanco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:smile:I lost w AAAA to the royal Flush, but I was behind all the way. I flopped AAA, he flopped a flush, turn was blank, river was As giving me the quads but him the royal. Also lost with 8888 to JJJJ so twice this lifetime so far.

POKERYALL

POKERYALL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KKKK loser

when party poker poker was just a tiny site some years back, was in a ring game, got pocket KK's, and to make a sad and long story short, four of us were all in on the flop, which by the way came, K K 10 ( J Q ) - I lose what is a $400 pot to a guy holdin A 6 off suit, he made the royal! :mad:

Nek

Nek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the odds of loosing with four of a kind against one other player ?-..,.

my.php

It hasn't happen to me yet and i surely hope that it never will!!!!
But if it happens...then thank God that most poker sites have a bad beat jackpot!!!!:)

It surely is some sort of a pain killer!

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BB Jackpot!

when party poker poker was just a tiny site some years back, was in a ring game, got pocket KK's, and to make a sad and long story short, four of us were all in on the flop, which by the way came, K K 10 ( J Q ) - I lose what is a $400 pot to a guy holdin A 6 off suit, he made the royal! :mad:
Had that happened at the same ring game on UB, you woulda won Hundreds a' thousands of bucks from their bad-beat jackpot!:D

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holding quads and losing

No, that has not happened to me yet. However, I have lost to straight flushes including a Royal Flush.:smile:

S

Sk8surf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya i have lost qauds v qauds few times nothing you can do there almost impossible too fold lol you think you have best hand ive also lost Pkt Ks too Pkt Ks guy hit flush lost 100$

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost to higher quads once, and most recently, my quads lost to a hidden str fl in stud. I expect to see more BBs like this, they hit me once or twice a year...

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually had to fold my four of a kind. I held 10's in the hole and was against AK. On the flop....K, 10, 10. Ok I check, call the big bet, actually called by another player. next card....K. Hmmm, I should slowplay anyway right? Call another big bet. River....K. Wow, now I'm just pretty amazed at that, I have to fold to his bet. However someone else actually called him down with A9....but it was SUITED so I can't blame him (hehe). Obviously he lost to the 4 K's, and no one believed me when I told them I folded quad 10's...they just laughed. I took a screen shot so I'll definitely post it sometime.

I don't believe you either. You folded to 1 card in the deck. pretty hard to believe...

G

glworden

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As an aside, I've posted about this many times before, and with time I've become lazy and just post one-liners when I spot something that strikes me as a very basic beginner's mistake. I understand - and agree - that including reasoning makes the post more worthwhile, but I've noticed that I don't really have the energy to repeat the longer explanation posts unless specifically asked for it (like here).

It might help if you would somehow organize your better posts so you could either post a link or cut and paste - that way you can contribute meaningfully to the discussion without having to type type type. AG is especially good at that sort of thing. He must have a file cabinet in his brain or something. Topics get revisited and reviewed. It would be an interesting project for somebody to make a compendium of the best CardsChat posts on contentious subjects - maybe even put them together in a book.

KUDOS to Likminutz for folding quad tens. That's some real discipline, man. Don't you think you could have pushed a street or two earlier?

AG posted one time about all the conditions that need to be met to justify a slowplay. But if you can't slowplay quads, when can you? I mean, come on now.
GL

Last edited:
D

Daidai

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had 4 of a kind Jacks before, board was something like J937J. Not only did I have 4 of a kind, but I had the best 4 of a kind on the board, but the other guy had a straight flush 7 to Jack.