Lose focus, lose it all

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone else find that, once you lose focus, u lose it all. Find I can be chip leader in a tournament and if I get bored of thrown on tilt, it’s over...doesn’t matter how good you are, once your focus is gone, so are your chips. Any help with my problem? Suggestions? I try going for walks and it helps but my focus still isn’t as heighten as when I first start playing.

D

DesertStorm46

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most things, it will probably go wrong if your mind is preoccupied with other stuff. I prefer going onto a cash table with nothing on my mind and if i start getting tired, or hungry or i get a bad phone call, i tend to leave the table.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me when I have a lot of chips and starting to lose some cool. I just need to shake it off for a while. Drinking water or deep breathing.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Concentration is very important in poker, and in order to achieve good results, it is good to prepare psychologically and morally and to have the desire to play.
Good luck

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Maybe you're playing too long for one session. I play no more than 3-4 hours a day and I easily stay focused. Of course, concentration is very important and directly affects the results of the game.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Anyone else find that, once you lose focus, u lose it all. Find I can be chip leader in a tournament and if I get bored of thrown on tilt, it’s over...doesn’t matter how good you are, once your focus is gone, so are your chips. Any help with my problem? Suggestions? I try going for walks and it helps but my focus still isn’t as heighten as when I first start playing.

Poker is no different than anything else, the more attention you pay the better your chances of success.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It doesn't always matter how many chips you've got. It's all about the focus on everything that happens in the tournament. I recently managed to get a top 5 finish in a tournament, when I thought I wouldn't reach ITM becaue I only had 1.7BB left (lowest stack) and a very long bubble. So I calculated my pushes based on all the action and every dealt hand. In the beginning, whenever I got emotional I would push badly with 10s of BB, thinking that it's all over so why bother, just put it in with any A,K,pair and pray. Now I play it to the last chip. I rarely even allin preflop.

For cash games, if you're not 100% focused and motivated, don't even buy in.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
You mentioned getting bored. If that's the reason for losing your focus, then MTTs are not your thing. You cannot play tournaments that could require hours of concentration. I would suggest Sit & Goes or cash games instead. But if you lose focus after losing a big hand, then that would be tilt, not boredom, in which case you need to be able to shake it off and not letting it alter your game (If you have any chips left :)).

YYfourU

YYfourU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You mentioned getting bored. If that's the reason for losing your focus, then MTTs are not your thing. You cannot play tournaments that could require hours of concentration. I would suggest Sit & Goes or cash games instead. But if you lose focus after losing a big hand, then that would be tilt, not boredom, in which case you need to be able to shake it off and not letting it alter your game (If you have any chips left :)).

I find the challenge of becoming first in the tournament is the only thing that keeps me going, once I am there I get bored

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know what type of tournaments you play, but sometimes I feel that when I play for too much time, I also get bored. So, my suggestion is to play more turbo tournaments with 5 minute blinds or use the late registration and wait for a couple of levels before enter the tournament.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
i've been in this situation many times , it just happens to simply not win at all any hand you play ...yeah

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That happens to me recently and it is because our mind is occupied with something else, in my case it was because I was watching sports and making decisions lightly and even wanting to finish the tournament, it helps me to take a break of a few days to return focused and with my essence of not giving up:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Focus is everything in poker. Its a mental game. Cannot agree more.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Discipline is the best way to achieve that focus you want so much. You need to control your mind.

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Maybe play shorter games? Or treat the chip lead as you would a short stack a lot of players get too confident and literally call anything

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find the challenge of becoming first in the tournament is the only thing that keeps me going, once I am there I get bored
A wise man once said: You have to finish first to finish first!

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everybody!
I also sometimes get apathy at the end of a tournament, this has led me to lower places with a steak that allows me to rise higher more than once, probably this is individual and you need to choose a suitable game format for yourself.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to focus on your game and don't let other thing to distract you.
Also, when you have no mood to play it's better to take a day off instead of losing all of your chips

L

louis627

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just like anything else in life you do, if you lose focus you will NOT achieve your goal being sports, your job, driving or poker.
If your cell phone rings when your on the basketball court and your about to take a shot you don't answer or even take the cell phone with you.
You have to commit to the game from start to finish.
If your problem is the deration of the game try a faster or shorter game.
Also try to working on the mental discipline it will help you in your game.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well,,,you just said it,,,,your "goal" is to become chipleader,then you get bored because in your mind,you have archived your goal,,, :deal: Set new goals.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Turn your computer off for 20 min. Or until you just can’t take it and you will come back ready to focus!

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I lose focus n yes I have been chip leader n gotten knocked out n it sucks but what I have done is if I get bored I just sit out or start another tournament that is cheaper so I can play wild if I want

M

moularaki

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
don't do other things while playing like watch tv or your cell phone
stay focus on each hand and it will be better

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Concentration is very important. If this is an issue in longer games we should look or ones where they don't play as deep so we wont have this issue.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, this statement is true for any field of activity! Only champions can keep their concentration for a long time!